Hardware [FALSE] Foxconn accidentally leaks Wii-U private keys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, until someone else leaks those docs, just knowing about the leak does us no good on determining if they can patch the key through software or not.

I also hope that this does not mean a higher retail price because of this fuck up, but chances are it will.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The consoles are not shipped yet, they can still reflash them with a brand-new private key, this just means some serious overtime for the workers and programmers alike. Now, if it was the algorithm and the key, that'd be a different story entirely.
Keys are usually stored in an unflashable part of the system (at least on the Wii) - so the early batches should be fully homebrewable.

Manually changing the faulty OTP would cost way more than re-manufacturing the entire motherboards.

I'm surely getting one at launch! :creep:
I totally agree. It reminds me of the Trucha Bug on Wii consoles with an SM

D

Deleted_171835

Wait so no one else but DeadlyFoez has seen the article?

For all we know, he could have made it up. :/

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

Someone else has had to have seen it also. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world, but maybe the only one on gbatemp. I'm sure other techie news site will be talking about it by days end.
Well there isn't anyone else online (even on Twitter) who seems to have seen it.

Right now, we're just going by your word. There are no pics of the article, cached versions and no one else seems to have seen it (despite Engadget being a pretty active site with an autoupdating RSS and Twitter feed).

loco365

Trophies
XP
ITT: Someone fucked up and someone else with a brain is doing something.

@DeadlyFoez I'll gladly enter this contest.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was kinda hoping the 3DS Private Key would be leaked first. I wonder if the WiiU would get the wii homebrew channel.

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain

This is just a Nintendo stunt in a attempt to sell Wii Us to the unforgiving gbatemp hacker community :ninja:

I think we should wait for some sort of confirmation. This is the internet: someone must know/have seen something somewhere.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wonder if the 3DS keys are the same, like the PS3-PSP.

PS3-PSP key wasn't the same if I remember well... but the discovery of the PS3 key permitted to find the PSP one inside the PS3 (and the magicgate encryption key also).

Would be fun if some WiiU firmware were floating around and if this key leak is real... if some people manage to find the real 3DS key inside the WiiU. :lol:

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed the release date to rectify the issue and change the private keys. I'm not sure how much time that would take though...

D

Deleted-185407

Clearly a lot of people here don't understand any cryptography.

Obviously the article is fake, but Foxconn most likely don't have the private keys anyway since they have no need for them. The file packages they'd be flashing would already be signed. Private keys never leave the business that created them, otherwise they can't be considered private. Finally, consoles only contain public keys and nothing more. Public keys are of course useless for hackers because they're only used to verify that signed packages are legitimate.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wonder if the 3DS keys are the same, like the PS3-PSP.
They weren't the same, some of the PSP keys were stored within the PS3 firmware because certain games could be transferred between the consoles and played on both. This meant that the discovery of the PS3 keys allowed people to find the PSP keys within the PS3 firmware. (Note that only some keys were found IIRC, an additional hack using part of an official demo was required to "sign" homebrew for use on OFW, due to the lack of a certain key for signing a small part of some header; that part was just ripped from an official properly signed demo and stuck into the homebrew, in addition to signing the rest of the homebrew with what keys were available)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.