Fallout 4 can wait for the bargain bin

theloon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to scrounge around the bargain bin because cheap is good. The only time you bought new is when a major title was released like Super Mario Bros 2 or Final Fantasy 7. Now I can’t bring myself to buy Fallout 4 new despite the hype and anticipation. This is going to be a bargain bin purchase for every reason besides price.

A friend attempted to demonstrate the game to me by playing through the intro and into the first town. He experienced random crashes on his PS4 about 20 minutes in. No warning signs to indicate saving was a good idea. Bethesda has a reputation for glitchy titles that may or may not be earned. Enough people put up videos of graphically impressive gotchas and you’ve got a bad rep. Nevertheless, unceremonious termination of your game session is what software testers call a “show stopper” bug. They should never show up on a console game. Console gamers take a hit on performance in exchange for the game just working.

Sadly, gamers today expect Triple-A titles to be incomplete. Fallout 3 had DLC that felt like much more than extensions. “Ultimate” editions represent the comprehensive experience of any single game. Why pay as I go with higher debut prices? Why get a “seasons pass” and pay now for something I can get complete later? DLC are not just extras when they add up to what we used to expect in total play time. When you plan for holes in your game to be filled later with DLC you plan on an incomplete product.

The last vestigial of Fallout as a true RPG was the VATS system. Pause the game. Choose your target. Check the percentages. Think over your strategy and go. You either like playing first person shooters or tolerate it. Blending real time into turn based RPG elements never works. The active battle system in Final Fantasy put artificial stress into the process of choosing your commands. VATS was the olive branch to gamers who liked choice over reaction time. Why on earth would you weaken elements that set you apart from every other FPS out there?

So, yeah. I can wait for show stopper bugs to be fixed. I can wait for what I consider a complete version with better play time. In many ways Fallout 4 is the same experience as before but with better graphics and crippled VATS. The bargain bin is where I’ll pick up my copy in its “Ultimate” edition, bug fixed state. I just wish it were for the cost.

I've been doing this since Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim. I'll wait for a complete, bug free version. Anyone with me?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds logical. I recommended to my little brother to wait a couple of months if he doesn't want an overly buggy experience, as that's how it always goes. Myself, I'm not concerned about it as I've never cared for Bethesda's open world games.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sadly, gamers today expect Triple-A titles to be incomplete.
Nice cynicism. What's really going on is that AAA-gamers today pay more for the privilege of being "first" than of getting good gameplay footage. The bugs are taken for granted. Though it's certainly something with the times, I wonder just how prevalent the issue really is. The larger and more complex games get, the higher the chance things mess up.

I must admit I've rarely if ever really preordered games or bought things directly on launch day. And with games these days...my backlog is filling up faster than I ever hope of getting a chance to play in this lifetime. I may miss out on stuff (e.g.: I still have to get GTA V at some point), but it's not like I don't have anything to game.

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice cynicism. What's really going on is that AAA-gamers today pay more for the privilege of being "first" than of getting good gameplay footage.
Um.. no. Games can and have stayed broken.
Just look at Batman Arkham Knight. The first result for "batman port" is an article of how bad the port is :rofl2:
And for Xbox One there's always Halo's broken matchmaking.
An average consumer of course eats that shit up..

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just look at Batman Arkham Knight. The first result for "batman port" is an article of how bad the port is :rofl2:
and talking about "bargain", @Margen67 don't you have a "magic" way to get games for free? then you never have to wait.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay, I'm afraid I'm going to ask you to clarify, because I don't see how this information conflicts in any way with what I'm saying. :unsure:

I know how bad the port is. How do I know? Because there's a hundreds of people who got it on launch day and complain about performance issues.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to wait as well. Partly because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for DLC, but also because I have a backlog of games to catch up on. Heck, I'm still playing Pikmin 3 and Kingdom hearts HD.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He experienced random crashes on his PS4 about 20 minutes in.
I didn't get my first crash in Fallout 4 until dozens of hours in (and I use mods that could very well be the culprit in some cases). You shouldn't just see one example of a problem and assume that it's normal.
No warning signs to indicate saving was a good idea.
It's an RPG. If you're not saving every other second, you're doing something wrong, especially since you said you've played Skyrim, Fallout 3, and New Vegas before. You should be used to saving often in case of "Oh shi-" moments.
Why on earth would you weaken elements that set you apart from every other FPS out there?
You think VATS is the only thing that sets Fallout apart from other FPS? Not the gigantic world that you can spend 100 hours in and still not see everything? VATS makes an already easy game much easier. I found myself using VATS much less often than I did in the previous games, and I ended up being better at aiming in real time because of it. It's not a significant loss.

theloon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. Perhaps bug free was a huge overstatement :P I love Bethesda bugs that let you get an edge. There are some situations where I'm just not a good enough FPS player. Glitches help.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got FO4 as part of a buy 2 get 1 free sale. I agree about not paying full price, so I shop around and wait for deals. Yeah bugs suck, but welcome to the release it now, send out a giant patch later era.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you dont like all the bugs and lack of content then just torrent it. I dont pay for betaware. The game has to have minimal bugs and be complete like xenoblade C on wii or i aint buying it. Im glad to buy complete games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup