Hacking EZV NOR mode - Can't load SAV to SRAM

cwc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Exploader .58b0mx on a CycloDS Evo in slot1. I've been playing FireRed written to NOR mode for a while and it's been working great, no problems saving or anything. I decided to swap out the game in NOR for a bit, then I tried to go back to FR.
The game writes to NOR fine, but restoring the SAV file does not seem to be working. When I select the option to load the SAV into SRAM, there is a brief pause, but no error messages of any kind, from Exploader or the game itself. It's like it just isn't writing anything. My hunch is that the save file that was copied from SRAM to the SD card is corrupt, but I don't know enough about the save format to be able to tell.

Can anyone assist me with this?

cwc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I've already figured it out. I saved a new game in FR as soon as I was able, wrote the SRAM to SAV, then immediately loaded it back into SRAM. It worked. I loaded the malfunctioning save, and FR tried to start a new game. With the SRAM now effectively wiped, I loaded the fresh save that I'd created minutes ago, and it worked again. So I guess when I wrote my original SAV, it was corrupted.

Adding insult to injury, I opened both saves in a hex editor. The malfunctioning save is 131KB of 0xF. The working save is padded on both ends with 0xF, but clearly has data in the file. I guess it was just a freak write failure. Surprising since I actually made two copies back-to-back, and both of those saves were corrupted. Maybe the 32GB card I'm using is the problem. Oh well - in the future I'll just have to manually verify every SAV file I write. No swapping games out on the go.

cwc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you use the exp loader anyways? CycloDS Evo supports EZ-Flash 3in1 Expansion Pack (/Slot-2 EZ-Flash V) from within the Menu.

True, I just like being able to use the game like it's an actual GBA cart, like not having to go through the Cyclo menus and just running it from the DS menu. I was also hoping it would work with Pal Park, though it didn't seem to.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
True, I just like being able to use the game like it's an actual GBA cart, like not having to go through the Cyclo menus and just running it from the DS menu. I was also hoping it would work with Pal Park, though it didn't seem to.
You just have to press "Y" and select "NOR" to write ROMs to the NOR :P
But make sure that you still write them with "A" to the EZ3in1. "Y" only changes the mode but doesn't write the game.

cwc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just have to press "Y" and select "NOR" to write ROMs to the NOR :P
But make sure that you still write them with "A" to the EZ3in1. "Y" only changes the mode but doesn't write the game.

Interesting, didn't know that Cyclo could write to NOR. Does it automatically manage the save states, or is it still a relatively manual process like Exploader?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: