Hacking EZ-IV kernel 1.75 (SDHC for EZ4)...new ez-iv version released...."soon"....

Earthbound_X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just got a EZ-IV, and I've been trying to update the Kernel to 1.76.

All the guides say to hold R while powering up, but that just puts me on a blank screen where nothing happens, what am I doing wrong?

160R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Banks and payment processors use a rolling average to calculate the conversion rate where the rates are in favor of them not you, not those free websites where they use the current daily average.

Are you that dumb to think that the conversion rates are going to be near 1:1.

Well, maybe you are right this time, bank conversion is not 1:1, I admit it. If anyone paying in usd bought from there I would like to hear how much did it cost in usd at the end after credit card automatic conversion. I bet it was 35-40$ total.

Anyway, what I was replying at first: you saying only the worldwide shipping costs 30-40$.

His choices are chinese vendors, unless he wants to pay for 30-40 dollars in snail mail shipping cost on top of item cost from chollomedia.

Will you admit you was wrong too?

U73am5P.jpg

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just got a EZ-IV, and I've been trying to update the Kernel to 1.76.

All the guides say to hold R while powering up, but that just puts me on a blank screen where nothing happens, what am I doing wrong?

Make sure your SD/SDHC is formatted to FAT(16 or 32, depending on if you're using SD or SDHC), the BIN is in the root of your SD/SDHC, is named "ezfla_up.bin", and, if you're currently on an older kernel, that you're using SD, not SDHC.

Earthbound_X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a Micro SDHC, the card that came with the cart.

Pretty sure it started as FAT16, didn't work with that(It came installed with couple roms), it's just FAT atm, guess I'll try FAT32. It was installed with 1.75. I pretty much bought the card cause I wanted to Play Mother 3 on an actual device, after Goggling that I had to flash the game to the NOS(I think that's what it was called)it works fine.

But I figured I might as well have the latest version, plus I wanted to try Clearlook.

Nope, FAT32 doesn't work, still just a blank screen when I hold R, how long is it supposed to take while Holding R normally to work?

For some reason, it's got a Find Nemo skin, haha. Then New Super Mario Bros when I go to the folders.
Still can't figure out what the Txt Saver option does. Says (SD) V1.750 in the top right corner, only reason I know what version it is. The cart came with two folders GBA Roms, and Saver. Should I delete those and just have the update bin on the card?

If I try to select the ezfla_up.bin file on the actual cart, it loads up to 100%, then stays on a screen that says EZPDA.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It's a Micro SDHC, the card that came with the cart.

Pretty sure it started as FAT16, didn't work with that(It came installed with couple roms), it's just FAT atm, guess I'll try FAT32. It was installed with 1.75. I pretty much bought the card cause I wanted to Play Mother 3 on an actual device, after Goggling that I had to flash the game to the NOS(I think that's what it was called)it works fine.

But I figured I might as well have the latest version, plus I wanted to try Clearlook.

Nope, FAT32 doesn't work, still just a blank screen when I hold R, how long is it supposed to take while Holding R normally to work?

For some reason, it's got a Find Nemo skin, haha. Then New Super Mario Bros when I go to the folders.
Still can't figure out what the Txt Saver option does. Says (SD) V1.750 in the top right corner, only reason I know what version it is. The cart came with two folders GBA Roms, and Saver. Should I delete those and just have the update bin on the card?

If I try to select the ezfla_up.bin file on the actual cart, it loads up to 100%, then stays on a screen that says EZPDA.

which EZ IV is yours? the new micro sd version or the white ones?

format the card using this: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

then copy the ezfla_up.bin into the root of the card (just this file on the card pls..)

select erase overwrite and adjust size

when you press R at boot (press R, then turn power on, there should be a message saying it found (or not) the update file. (1 second of pressing should do the trick)

if you can't do this, try another micro sd card...

Earthbound_X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the GBA shaped white one.

I'd try another card if I could, but I can't seem to get the Micro SD adapter that came with the cart out of it.

Oh wait, found some tweezers, got it out, and it seem my 2GB(The other card was 4GB, but I don't see how I'm gonna run out of room even with 2GBs) SD card works, it's updating now.
Thanks for all the help guys.

I install Clearlook the same way right? Oh wait, Clearlook only goes up to 1.75, guess I'll have to find a more recent skin.

Any suggestions? Not finding any skins for 1.76.

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok can someone give a step by step tutorial on how to do the custom build. I am trying to change the splash screens and buttons and whatnot, but the builder is not working for me. It keeps saying it cannot find the files needed. What is my input directory to be set at and output? And do I need a preexisting ezfla_up.gba in the output directory or will it generate one? So confusing.

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new kernel of 1.75 version and customize pack for EZ4 was just released and please check this web:
http://www.ezflash.cn/downloads/

Here are links for downloading :
Kernel of 1.75
http://www.ezflash.cn/zip/ez4_update_20150108.zip
Customize pack:
http://www.ezflash.cn/zip/EZPDA_1.7.5.zip

Btw....credit card payment is possible, now.

regards,

I am having seriosu trouble with the customize pack, keeps saying cannot find specified file when I try to build. the only thing I did was replace the bmp files and try to build but it does not work...what am I doing wrong?

160R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone getting problems microSD reading problems with 1.75 or newer 1.76, I read someone fixing it downgrading to 1.74 but I'm afraid no +2GB supported for firmwares below 1.75

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Anyone getting problems microSD reading problems with 1.75 or newer 1.76, I read someone fixing it downgrading to 1.74 but I'm afraid no +2GB supported for firmwares below 1.75
are you using a SDHC card?
most SD cards will stop working on 1.75+

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got a MiniSD model running 1.74RESET, so is there any real benefit to updating? I've got a 2GB card in it already and am not really that close to running out of space, but if the update fixes things or adds support, should I update to 1.76?

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I've got a MiniSD model running 1.74RESET, so is there any real benefit to updating? I've got a 2GB card in it already and am not really that close to running out of space, but if the update fixes things or adds support, should I update to 1.76?

this thread is old, 1.76 is out, it fixed 256mb games, added SDHC and fixed some reset issues..

don't update it if it works for you, you may loose support for that MINI SD card and if you want to use that card again you need to roll back to 1.74

btw, wasn't the 1.72 the RESET version?

edit: just noticed they changed the downloads page, it is much better now! and less confusing!

160R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Quoted from official site:

EZ4 Kernel 1.76 DOWNLOAD
fixed the halt at 254Mbit when writing a 256Mbit game
improved the compatibility
improved the saver
EZ4 Kernel 1.75 DOWNLOAD
Optimized the saver system
Change the skin
Support SDHC(4GB,8GB,16GB), you need a SD card to apply this upate, then you can use the SDHC card play game.
Customize Pack

Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just for curiosity, I tried to benchmark a game load comparing old and new EZ IV (I have an old MiniSD 1.72 and a new SDHC 1.76 black).

The old EZ IV loads a 128Mbit game into RAM in 30 secs vs 41 sec of the newer model. Same SD (I have a 2GB and a micro to mini SD adapter), can anyone with both models confirm that the newer is slower?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just for curiosity, I tried to benchmark a game load comparing old and new EZ IV (I have an old MiniSD 1.72 and a new SDHC 1.76 black).

The old EZ IV loads a 128Mbit game into RAM in 30 secs vs 41 sec of the newer model. Same SD (I have a 2GB and a micro to mini SD adapter), can anyone with both models confirm that the newer is slower?

It would appear to be the case. Apologies for the raw video, it did not make sense to fire up the editor for this one.
The one in the DS is a launch EZ4 running some pre SDHC kernel (not sure exactly what as I have an odd skin on there). Whatever old 512 meg miniSD I have had for years, would not surprise me to see it fragmented as you like.
The one in the GBA is a new microSD SDHC model which should be on the latest kernel. Old 8 gig class 2 microSDHC. Not great but I can not imagine the 512 miniSD will beat it, I formatted it relatively recently.
I also stuck the 8 gig into a EZ4 lite deluxe running one of the SDHC kernels, 37 seconds from button press to 100%.

Edit. If the playback is not working then http://filetrip.net/dl?TBrZ5YYfQ3 will hopefully do it. Should be just shy of 100 megs.

Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It would appear to be the case.

This confirms my suspect, and it's quite disappointing since the new version should contain hardware as much performant as the old model but this is not the case.

I think the problem could be the firmware more than the hardware itself, I doubt that a RAM chip could be so worse after many years from the original hardware but you never know in Chinese production.

We would require to test and old EZ IV with a 1.72 kernel and another ld EZ IV updated to 1.76 with SDHC support to know if the problem is the firmware of the iteration of the hardware.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do have a second EZ4 lite deluxe that will be on the kernel it came with, however I would have to modify the case as I do not have a DS lite and I would rather not do that. I might also have to find a SD type microSD which will also be fun.

I imagine they are doing something from the SDHC read in software rather than in hardware though so that would probably explain the speed drop.

Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's strange because my benchmark has been done with the same 2GB MicroSD used in older EZ IV with a MicroSD to MiniSD adapter so there should be no difference at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse