Hacking EZ-IV kernel 1.75 (SDHC for EZ4)...new ez-iv version released...."soon"....

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So microSD to miniSD adapters work? I always thought that this causes issues, that's why I've refrained from buying a EZ flash until now

fille

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i have ez flash IV,but gona wait till krikzz comes with a real flashcard.
it whas good in the day when it comes out,but the patching is too much hasle,sometimes it doesnt work with certain games.
with krikzz card it will be drag&drop,and all his flashcards rocks.
but still a nice update for a good device.

Reactions: Margen67

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Outstanding. I'm shocked that after all this time they have released a new update. Cheers guys, you were always my favourite back in the day.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So microSD to miniSD adapters work? I always thought that this causes issues, that's why I've refrained from buying a EZ flash until now
Micro to miniSD adapters are just things to reroute pins and reshape to fit in a miniSD slot. I have no idea why they are so problematic -- every micro to SD adapter I have ever tried has been basically bombproof and it is the exact same concept, however so many people have had issues with them that is not funny. Many people have had them work fine and it is definitely worth a go if you have one sitting around but again so many people have had issues that the default line/party line is try to find a proper miniSD if you can.
Equally if you were reading about the tests I did the other models of EZ4 all use microSD. I have no idea why the EZTeam did not change the design for microSD for this new batch (it is exactly the same protocol, voltage....see the part about it just being things to reroute pins), it would have been trivial to change in their electrical cad and they already had to do something to change the NOR chips. Enough pondering roads not taken though.

omg.. i am surprised they actually support this. are they making new batches now ...?
They made a new batch/run back in late 2013, after a fairly bad shortage over the middle of that year, which is part of the reason they are still easy enough to come by, however I am not sure if they are still pumping them out.

i have ez flash IV,but gona wait till krikzz comes with a real flashcard.
it whas good in the day when it comes out,but the patching is too much hasle,sometimes it doesnt work with certain games.
with krikzz card it will be drag&drop,and all his flashcards rocks.
but still a nice update for a good device.

Patching amounts to "open ROM/select a bunch of them, possibly rename them, point it at your ?SD if you have not already and press send". Is that really so troublesome? No argument that the client could use a fair bit of work (though alternatives do exist if you only want save patches) but even that mostly works if you just need to patch a ROM to send.
What games are you having trouble with? Basically other than anything that has extra hardware (most of which are sorted) or anti piracy (famicom mini, classic nes and some dragon ball Z games, all of which should be sorted) it should just be a basic software issue as far as getting things to run.
Don't get me wrong I want to see a GBA flash cart built with things we see modern electronics and concepts we see in programming for the same (I had even done some background research to see what that might entail for the GBA and had a chat with some people doing some RE work on them), however I am really not seeing the room for them to come in and properly clean up like they did for the GB/GBC, SNES, megadrive, N64 and all the other things they do -- we have multi ROM focused carts, ones with serious storage, ones that run basically every game (no NES style mappers, GB/GBC MBCs, AP chips like the N64's, special chips like the SNES' or general lack like much of the megadrive and the others had seen) and ones which can be operated by mere mortals.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always stuck to the 80 game limit. (Yes, I know you can set up folders to bypass) So, My 2 GB Mini SD has always been more than enough by a TON! That said, this is pretty cool, and for reference, I have I used a Mini SD adapter, and used a Micro SD on plenty of carts. Never had an issue.

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of buying an EZIV, but I heard you need a minisd? The supplier I was going to buy offers a micro to mini adapter, but I heard it doesn't work very well.

fille

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i dont like the patching idea,its just easy to DRAG&DROP.
but its not that much work to patch them,its the client that i had problems with.
i had some games that did not working in the past,dont ask wat games because its long time i actualy touch my gba.
i flashed the firmware and yoshi island doesnt work,maybe more games dont work,i'm not gona test them all out,so i cant say more about it.
i'm not saying its a bad product,just that i dont like the way to get them working with saves.
it was a great product when they released it,but for the standards we have now,there will be better this year,and it will be everdrive or maybe other flashcard.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is great news now they just need to make it drag and drop.
It is drag and drop technically, just make sure you copy a save file for the ROM you're putting on. All the client does for most games is create a blank save file anyway, so it will work if you have a pre-existing save from VBA or something. Granted your games cannot have RTC for this method to work.

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this flush with the GBA (folding ones) case? I have a Supercard SD and it sticks out, always sort of annoyed me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The original EZ4 model is sized like a GBA cart, the EZ4 lite is slightly larger than the DS lite slot (a couple of mm), the EZ4 lite deluxe is intended to be a replica of the DS lite dust cover. Pictures below but to tell the difference I needed to bust out my micrometre and/or callipers, afraid I was not invested enough to set my tripod back up for this though so forgive the lousy camerawork.
ez4_inserted_comp.jpg
ez4_size_comp.jpg

Reactions: nyder

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new kernel of 1.75 version and customize pack for EZ4 was just released and please check this web:
http://www.ezflash.cn/downloads/

Here are links for downloading :
Kernel of 1.75
http://www.ezflash.cn/zip/ez4_update_20150108.zip
Customize pack:
http://www.ezflash.cn/zip/EZPDA_1.7.5.zip

Btw....credit card payment is possible, now.

regards,
Wow, this is a surprise. I mean, genuinely a surprise.

I thought that everyone pretty much discontinued support for everything to do with GBA flash carts since the 3DS was the new thing now. Looking at my GBA ROM archive, a 16gig juuust might be enough to hold the complete collection. That said, I hope that they've fixed the ROM importer/manager/client software, because that one-at-a-time limitation would make it intensely tedious to even try such a feat.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That said, I hope that they've fixed the ROM importer/manager/client software, because that one-at-a-time limitation would make it intensely tedious to even try such a feat.

Batch support was added in May 2006
2006-05-18
EZ4Client datecode 20060518Click to download
Add batch rom add function in "Open" button

This was before long name support even.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me if it has been a while, but I recall the last time I tried adding multiple gba roms at once to the EZ4 client, it always borked out either by having an error or basically skipping subsequent games. To date, I've yet to have success with importing a folder's worth a directory of ROMs successfully.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those having issues with 1GB/2GB cards, if you have a spare one, could you try formatting it to FAT32 and see if that helps? I ask because my guess would be that they don't support both file systems. :)

It also appears the old trick of skipping an infinite loop at start no longer works... So, could some check to see if Mind Sweeper is still there as the skin implies it's been replaced by something else.

I'd be interested to try this out (especially as Dwedit is working on Goomba Color again), but my EZ4's being borrowed by someone, so.. :)

Thanks EZ Team for working so hard on updating the kernel!

PS - The whole Yoshi's Island breaking is probably the old soft/hard reset problem and should be relatively easily patched. It's a shame the EZ Team didn't make hard resetting the default (or reset the system state better for a soft reset). I know from my work on Pogoshell, it's a finicky thing to soft boot into games. :/

Reactions: reprep and Margen67

3DSXLGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does the EZ4 work on DS lites/Phats? Always wanted to get something to play GBA games with better emulation then the DSTWO.
Whenever I play super mario advance 4: super mario bros 3 It just lags hard and become inplayable due to the added difficulty of making jumps.

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original EZ4 model is sized like a GBA cart, the EZ4 lite is slightly larger than the DS lite slot (a couple of mm), the EZ4 lite deluxe is intended to be a replica of the DS lite dust cover. Pictures below but to tell the difference I needed to bust out my micrometre and/or callipers, afraid I was not invested enough to set my tripod back up for this though so forgive the lousy camerawork.
View attachment 14007
View attachment 14008

Thanks. Appreciate the pics. Ya, my SupercardSD sticks out like a few centimeters, I'd take a pic of it, but not sure where they are...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1