Hacking EZ-Flat IV 2.05 - A skin for your EZ-Flash IV card (Kernel 2.05)

Takosabi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try a different SD card. As far as I know all the models should be compatible with the skin.

I have a theory that you ca not use a SDHC card on the white models to update the firmware. Try a non-SDHC card.

You'd be correct. It worked first time when I used a non-SDHC. Thanks! :grog:

I used a normal MicroSD when I upgraded from 1.72 to 2.04, I guess I thought that since it supported playing games with SDHC after that, that the firmware would flash fine. Turns out not to be the case, since I only got a black screen. So flashing works when using the old card now. Firmware upgrades only work with not normal SD on the older clear cards. Guess I need to make sure that I don't lose this old card.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah, I believe the bootloader (the black screen that handels the update) is never touched (which is a good thing, it should make it pretty much impossible for firmware updates to brick the devices since the bootloader will always be there to handle things). So the white cards only have a bootloader that can't read sdhc cards, but the 1.75+ kernels flashed onto it will be able to use them for ROM loading. That means that updating will always require a non-sdhc card while you can load roms from higher capacity SDHC cards.

Reactions: Takosabi

bonzibobby

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks a lot for the Skin, @Localhorst86 ! :)

I have a question regarding NOR. What is it exactly? I've read in some places it allows you to start a game directly without having to go to the EZ Flash menu and select it. Well, that would come in handy! But how do I do this? I've found info about EZ Flash on the net, they mention NOR but not the process to start using it, can you help me out?

Thanks very much!

Bonzi

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks a lot for the Skin, @Localhorst86 ! :)

I have a question regarding NOR. What is it exactly? I've read in some places it allows you to start a game directly without having to go to the EZ Flash menu and select it. Well, that would come in handy! But how do I do this? I've found info about EZ Flash on the net, they mention NOR but not the process to start using it, can you help me out?

Thanks very much!

Bonzi
NOR is a persistent Flash storage you can write roms to by pressing select on the highlighted rom. The EZ-Flash comes with 32Megabyte (256Mbit) of NOR space.

You still need to go through the menu system to launch the games, they just load faster.

Reactions: bonzibobby

sp957

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question:

With Kernal 2.04, if I delete the KEYSET.CFG, will the EZ4 still default by having GSS disabled globally and enable auto hard-reset? Or do I need to keep that file there?

I know I can just keep the KEYSET.CFG, but it's just a little neatfreak habit I have. I rather not have that KEYSET.CFG with my .gba files. :)

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Question:

With Kernal 2.04, if I delete the KEYSET.CFG, will the EZ4 still default by having GSS disabled globally and enable auto hard-reset? Or do I need to keep that file there?

I know I can just keep the KEYSET.CFG, but it's just a little neatfreak habit I have. I rather not have that KEYSET.CFG with my .gba files. :)
AFAIK default behavior is GSS enabled and auto reset disabled.

Reactions: sp957

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I believe the bootloader (the black screen that handels the update) is never touched (which is a good thing, it should make it pretty much impossible for firmware updates to brick the devices since the bootloader will always be there to handle things).

Yea, I've dumped the bootloader before using a F2A adapter. Never got much farther than that because I couldn't use it to write the bootloader back*.

So the white cards only have a bootloader that can't read sdhc cards, but the 1.75+ kernels flashed onto it will be able to use them for ROM loading. That means that updating will always require a non-sdhc card while you can load roms from higher capacity SDHC cards.

Far as I can tell, there's a minimal of at least two versions of the bootloader. One can read SDHC and one can't. Also, the one that can read SDHC actually has a blue on yellow line at the bottom "fat initial 1" while flashing/upgrading. This later version is actually bad for one major reason: it'll erase your kernel before actually checking if there's an ezfla_up.bin there. So, yea, great way to temporarily brick it. :/

In any case, this is true even though I've got two EZ IVs with the same revision (bought at the same time): EZ402 2006.03. Not sure if that's when they changed over the bootloader or merely never updated the silk screening. In any case, the board that doesn't read SDHC in the bootloader also doesn't properly work with my Sandisk Extreme Plus 16GB card UHS-3 (has issues booting + can't seem to read the card). It's also slower to load games than my Kingston 2GB card. Although that's also just an across the board problem with later firmwares, it's true when I temporarily updated the kernel to 1.78. But back to 1.74 for that slightly faster speed. :)

On a somewhat unrelated note, I even got around to actually trying out the 2.x kernels. Looking at the .pat file and it's clear that it's not an actual patch file per se. It looks to be offsets into the rom (hard to be sure on that). Having said that, it really doesn't look like it's merely using a version of dwedit's/my fork of dwedit's sleephack patcher because it seems to reference a lot more addresses. Again, it's hard to be sure if that's the case on what's going on. It might be also do save patching for all I know. *shrug*

In any case, what would obviously be awesome in a future update would be IPS patch support. It has the advantage of being (1) very trivial or (2) covering ~16MB which should cover all the PSRAM games. Definitely, though, I don't see a way of overriding .pat in some fashion to make it IPS like or otherwise a general patcher. A shame, too, as I'd be a lot more tolerant of using the newer kernel if I could actually use clean ROMs.

A second suggestion (if IPS patch support was added) is some primitive symlink support (a specially named txt file pointing to the original ROM). That'd allow for ROM hacks without nearly as much wasted space.

* Some time ago I bricked my EZ IV (was trying to add LZ77 support) and was trying to recover it. I ended up buying two EZ IV replacements after I gave up on that endeavor. I'm not even sure if I still have the bricked one still around.

Last edited by kuwanger,
Reactions: zfreeman

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Far as I can tell, there's a minimal of at least two versions of the bootloader. One can read SDHC and one can't. Also, the one that can read SDHC actually has a blue on yellow line at the bottom "fat initial 1" while flashing/upgrading. This later version is actually bad for one major reason: it'll erase your kernel before actually checking if there's an ezfla_up.bin there. So, yea, great way to temporarily brick it. :/

There must be a third version, then. I have a black micro SD model and the blue on yellow bar. But for me the update process will be skipped if no ezfla_up.bin is present. I have access to an F2A linker and a compatible windows virtual machine if you're interested. :)

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There must be a third version, then. I have a black micro SD model and the blue on yellow bar. But for me the update process will be skipped if no ezfla_up.bin is present.

Yea, I remember hearing about it. I think it was just an oversight on their part. *shrug* Ended up making me patch all my rom to use cut out +R from the reset combo. So, no real biggy.

I have access to an F2A linker and a compatible windows virtual machine if you're interested.

Thanks but no thanks. I have no way of reinserting the newer version, am not 100% sure the F2A linker actually produces a clean dump (I'm guess it does but I've no way to verify), and really don't want to risk another brick. :)

sp957

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I was trying to update my firmware to 2.04, and I kept getting black screened. I tried it with the MicroSD 2GB I had, and it worked. I have the old EZ Flash IV White.

Can I still use this MicroSD 2GB to play games, or can it only be used to update firmware now? I haven't tried yet, but I was thinking about using it to play games so I can use the SDHC on another flashcart I have coming in.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

AFAIK default behavior is GSS enabled and auto reset disabled.
Thanks. Do you know if you can set a default folder for the EZ Flash IV to start? So it starts in my games folder and not the SDHC root?

NFK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
First of all sorry for intruding, second: does this fix the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo "whitescreen" issue?

CybeX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if you noticed, there appears to be a new 2.05 released on 1-04-18, stating (compatible improved). Are you planning on bringing EZ-Flat to it?

Reactions: Localhorst86

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This looks nice and super clean. Way better than Darth Vader...

Few questions though...

My EZ-Flash 4 is a MiniSD version, still on 1.72 I think... Will the newest kernel cripple my ability to use my 1GB MiniSD card? Like, even if I reformat it? Or will it just add SDHC support without dropping support for old cards? I just have no need for any MiniSD card above the 1GB I have for the handful of GBA ROMs I actually play. I just want to update to a newer kernel without breaking my setup.

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Few questions though...

My EZ-Flash 4 is a MiniSD version, still on 1.72 I think... Will the newest kernel cripple my ability to use my 1GB MiniSD card? Like, even if I reformat it? Or will it just add SDHC support without dropping support for old cards? I just have no need for any MiniSD card above the 1GB I have for the handful of GBA ROMs I actually play. I just want to update to a newer kernel without breaking my setup.
Hard to say without trying. I've read people having issues with non-SDHC compatibility after 1.75, but not for others it works fine.

rushiosan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The 2.05 kernel is causing instability issues on my EZ Flash IV (standard edition with a blue label, not the Reform model). Every time I try to load a game, it crashes in the "Game Boy" splash screen and takes several resets for any game to load up properly.

This is probably caused by the official kernel and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with this skin build.

If you run into the same issue, just revert back to 2.03.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

Few questions though...

its not related to the sd card being a mini sd or micro sd
i have that version of the ez iv, most micro sd\mini sd cards below 2 gb has issues, but i have a 1gb micro sd card that does work, got a transcend 2gb card that works wonderfully as well
its try and error, my advice is to get a mini to micro sd adapter, put a 16-32 gb card since they are cheap nowadays and put the entire rom library in it lol
people claim the adapter can make the connection loose or whatever, didn't had any issues with it, and the one i got actually helps, i never remove it from the ez iv, can just pull the sd card out of it

after the update that added sdhc compatibility i had no success with my nokia 512MB mini sd card.. however i do require a non hc card to flash the firmware like this nokia mini sd...
updating firmware with sdhc cards will not work

----------------------------

got a question for myself tough.
did someone made a "KEYSET.CFG" with a complete list of the problematic games already disabled?

Last edited by migles,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
its not related to the sd card being a mini sd or micro sd
i have that version of the ez iv, most micro sd\mini sd cards below 2 gb has issues, but i have a 1gb micro sd card that does work, got a transcend 2gb card that works wonderfully as well
its try and error, my advice is to get a mini to micro sd adapter, put a 16-32 gb card since they are cheap nowadays and put the entire rom library in it lol
people claim the adapter can make the connection loose or whatever, didn't had any issues with it, and the one i got actually helps, i never remove it from the ez iv, can just pull the sd card out of it

after the update that added sdhc compatibility i had no success with my nokia 512MB mini sd card.. however i do require a non hc card to flash the firmware like this nokia mini sd...
updating firmware with sdhc cards will not work

----------------------------

got a question for myself tough.
did someone made a "KEYSET.CFG" with a complete list of the problematic games already disabled?
My adapter fell apart, so I'm only using native MiniSD from now on. But thanks for the reassurance, I'll test it out this weekend.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
My adapter fell apart, so I'm only using native MiniSD from now on. But thanks for the reassurance, I'll test it out this weekend.
i suggest to get a new adapter and wait until you have it, the mini sd card might not work, (like i tried to explain, the ez iv gets picky, most cards below 2gb might not work, but some do work.., its try and error)

but you can flash the older firmware back with that mini sd card anyway if it doesnt work, can just roll back... i guess
either way, i got my card in 2.01 with a reset patch (skinned with blue someting skin)
that firmware is really worth it, i didn't bothered to upgrade ever since because i am not to being bothered with the keyset thing and its compatibility issues that appeared in the latter firmware, not sure if it has been solved ever since,
but damn, this auto patching and faster loading in the 2.01 and later is really great.. i might try this newer firmware 2.05 but heh, "why fix what is not broken"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans