Hacking EZ-Flat IV 2.01 - An EZ-Flash IV 2.01 skin

Peeteris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could you change "Hold L to skip saving" text or font?
Because "g" is in third line and that doesn't look good.
Text in bold also doesn't look great, but it's bearable.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could you change "Hold L to skip saving" text or font?
Because "g" is in third line and that doesn't look good.
Text in bold also doesn't look great, but it's bearable.
I wanted to make the text explain whats happening as clear as possible. Unfortunately the line breaks are simply fixed the the line is simply one character too short to fit the full "skip saving" line so I chose to sacrifice good looks to clear explanation. I do not intent to change it, but if you desperately want to change it you can simply open the bin file in a hex editor and change the text to your liking :)

Unfortunately i also lack the skills to add or change the font here, sorry

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Peeteris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted to make the text explain whats happening as clear as possible. Unfortunately the line breaks are simply fixed the the line is simply one character too short to ft the full "skip saving" line so I chose to sacrifice good looks to clear explanation. I do not intent to change it, but if you desperately want to change it you can simply open the bin file in a her editor and change the text to your liking :)

Unfortunately i all lack the skins to add or change the font here, sorry
I see, thanks for answer.

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks! FWIW I changed it from
Code:
skip saving
to
Code:
skip save
using a hex editor, that got rid of the lone "g" with no ill efects so far.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello everyone

this is a skin i just made for the Ezflash IV microSD. It is mostly a flattened Clearlooks skin with new icons and a new splash screen. See the attached screenshots. The current release of the skin is EZ-Flat IV 1.78 rev2 based on the official 1.78 kernel

------------------------
Release Notes:
------------------------
  • Increased maximum displayable files per folder from 77 to 334 (Thanks EZ Team)
  • Made multiple improvements to the Kernel text and help content
  • Renamed the "Save Mode" options to make them easier to understand (see "Save Mode" below, also available in the Release Notes section of the kernel, thanks Gyron)
  • Used improved font and various text from the Clearlooks Skin (Thanks Libertyernie)
  • Used various texts from BlueNight/Firewatch Skin (Thanks Gyron)
  • Applied the "autoreset" patch by Kuwanger (no need to Hold 'L' when booting troublesome games like Boktai or Yoshis Island)
  • Fixed 8KB save files from displaying as "8,192" (Thanks Draxoon)
  • Further minor text improvements by myself
------------------------
Usage:
------------------------
Copy 'ezfla_up.bin' to the root of your SD card. Hold the 'R' trigger while powering on your GBA and keep holding until you see the black/yellow update screen. Wait until the process has completed and you should see the newly flashed skin. Another power cycle is recommended.

------------------------
Save Mode:
------------------------
Optional - Saving is optional. The save file from the last played game is written to the memory card during boot (if the SRAM contents were altered ie. you saved or changed the options during a game), but you can skip this process by holding 'L' on bootup.
Note: Save skipping is only temporary, the EZ IV will continue to try and write the save on every boot until you load another game.
Note 2: If you accidentally hold 'L' on bootup (or from an in-game reset), inadvertently skipping the saving process, just switch off, then back on again to write the save.

Always - Will always write the save from the last played game (if there is a difference from the save file (.sav) already on the memory card, this is checked during boot). This setting is basically the same as "Optional" but without the ability to skip the save writing process.

------------------------
Known issues:
------------------------
The dialog for skipping the saving process when the saver mode is set to "optional" is not the nicest, I wanted the message to be as clear as can be but the hard-coded line breaks don't allow me to make it more beautiful. So the last letter of the message is cut of and put into a separate line. I am open to suggestions, though.

draxoon for the skin toolkit including text patches
Gyron for some of his text changes
Libertyernie for the base clearlooks skin
Tony Thomas (http://medialoot.com/item/free-mini-vector-app-icons/) for most of the icons used
kuwanger for providing the autoreset offset (http://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-iv-1-76-boktai-1-3-w-solar-patch-white-screen.389406/#post-5514306)

31.05.2015 - Initial release, kernel 1.76 (still available for download if needed)
27.08.2015 - updated to kernel 1.77 (still available for download if needed)
01.05.2017 - updated to kernel 1.78, fixed version number in the info screen. Font, text and hard reset patches have been manually adjusted (no longer available)
15.05.2017 - bugfixes to the 1.78 release, overhaul of the texts, general incosistencies removed

Is there any way you can add your wonderful skin to the new 2.0 kernel?

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there any way you can add your wonderful skin to the new 2.0 kernel?
Didn't know there was a 2.0 release. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: So far I have extraced the kernel from the release and ported my patches over to it. The kernel loads as far as it always does on VBA and I can see my skin. Since I haven't been able to test this on real hardware yet I wont release it until I was able to verify the patches I made work. I am pretty confident that this might work as expected, so.... get your panties wet :P

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

EDIT: So far I have extraced the kernel from the release and ported my patches over to it. The kernel loads as far as it always does on VBA and I can see my skin. Since I haven't been able to test this on real hardware yet I wont release it until I was able to verify the patches I made work. I am pretty confident that this might work as expected, so.... get your panties wet :P
I'll test it now, if you can't. Glad to see this theme is being ported to the latest release

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'll test it now, if you can't. Glad to see this theme is being ported to the latest release
Thanks for the offer, but I really want to look through it myself to see if everything is alligned properly as I intended. But keep looking forward to it, if there are no issues at all (i.e. my blind porting via VNC on my home computer) I might be able to release it in a few hours.

EDIT: OP updated with version 2.00 :)

Reactions: Empu1

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks for the offer, but I really want to look through it myself to see if everything is alligned properly as I intended. But keep looking forward to it, if there are no issues at all (i.e. my blind porting via VNC on my home computer) I might be able to release it in a few hours.

Thank you!

RetroDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

hi localhorst86,
kannst du mir bitte erklären wie ich den text ändern kann ? ich möchte alles auf deutsch ändern. welches tool brauche ich dafür? und welche datei muss verändert werden ? wenn du so nett wärst eine kleine anleitung zu machen kann sich jeder sein text ändern wie es am besten gefällt. Oder gibt es vielleicht schon eine von dir auf deutsch angepasste version ?

Can you please tell me how I can change the text? I would like to change everything in German. What tool do i need for it? And which file must be changed? If you would be so nice to make a small guide, everyone can change his text as it likes best. Or is there perhaps already a version of you adapted to German?

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hi localhorst86,
kannst du mir bitte erklären wie ich den text ändern kann ? ich möchte alles auf deutsch ändern. welches tool brauche ich dafür? und welche datei muss verändert werden ? wenn du so nett wärst eine kleine anleitung zu machen kann sich jeder sein text ändern wie es am besten gefällt. Oder gibt es vielleicht schon eine von dir auf deutsch angepasste version ?

Can you please tell me how I can change the text? I would like to change everything in German. What tool do i need for it? And which file must be changed? If you would be so nice to make a small guide, everyone can change his text as it likes best. Or is there perhaps already a version of you adapted to German?
As mentioned earlier in this thread, all you need to change the text is a hex editor. I use "hxd".

Just open ezfla_up.bin in any hex editor and look for the text string you want to change. I wouldn't bother translating it to other languages, though.

Gesendet von meinem UMI_SUPER mit Tapatalk

RetroDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As mentioned earlier in this thread, all you need to change the text is a hex editor. I use "hxd".

Just open ezfla_up.bin in any hex editor and look for the text string you want to change. I wouldn't bother translating it to other languages, though.

Ich komme leider nicht zurecht. Habe von hex null Ahnung finde den Text String nicht.

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ich komme leider nicht zurecht. Habe von hex null Ahnung finde den Text String nicht.

first of all: for the consideration of other users we should talk english so everyone can follow :)

Now for your problem: Open up the ezfla_up.bin in any hex editor, really any will do. Usually hex editors will show you two panes, the left is the raw hex data and the right one is the same information displayed in ASCII. You can simply modify the text in the ASCII column, but be sure not to remove or add bytes, only overwrite them.

HxD_-_[CUsersSaschaDownloadsEZ4_v1.76_Skin_v2_2017-06-11_19-38-11.jpg

RetroDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
first of all: for the consideration of other users we should talk english so everyone can follow :)

Now for your problem: Open up the ezfla_up.bin in any hex editor, really any will do. Usually hex editors will show you two panes, the left is the raw hex data and the right one is the same information displayed in ASCII. You can simply modify the text in the ASCII column, but be sure not to remove or add bytes, only overwrite them.

View attachment 89828

Thats my Problem. I change a word like "Open" i want to translate in German and Write "öffnen". The new word is Longer than The Original. I Write a word and i overwrite and Remove anything.

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thats my Problem. I change a word like "Open" i want to translate in German and Write "öffnen". The new word is Longer than The Original. I Write a word and i overwrite and Remove anything.
The text is arranged in whole sentences. In this example you can see the sentence "Browse files on NOR or SD-card" now, your translation is not limited to the length of the individual words but the entire sentence (20 characters). Note that the sentence will be followed by a bunch of spaces (Byte value 20) which you can usually use as well, in this case increasing your available number of characters to 25. You really only have to consider keeping the new text within the space before the next sentence begins. It's a bit of trial and error.

RetroDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The text is arranged in whole sentences. In this example you can see the sentence "Browse files on NOR or SD-card" now, your translation is not limited to the length of the individual words but the entire sentence (20 characters). Note that the sentence will be followed by a bunch of spaces (Byte value 20) which you can usually use as well, in this case increasing your available number of characters to 25. You really only have to consider keeping the new text within the space before the next sentence begins. It's a bit of trial and error.

Ok i understand. Its Not so easy than i thought. The Thing is i have ordered a ezflash 4 Card but i dont have it Herr. I cant Test anything. Maybe After i Finish my translation i can Sent You The file for Check ?

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok i understand. Its Not so easy than i thought. The Thing is i have ordered a ezflash 4 Card but i dont have it Herr. I cant Test anything. Maybe After i Finish my translation i can Sent You The file for Check ?
I am currently busy with various real life issues like renovating and moving. I wouldnt be able to properly test it for now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared