tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Well that's cool! Curious though... I've had my EZ-Flash IV (first gen MiniSD model) for a couple years now... What does this do that the EZ-Flash IV doesn't? What are the features of the EZ-Flash Reform Launcher compared to the EZ-Flash IV kernel?

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
To me it looks like this is the ''slim'' version of the EZ-Flash IV.
I think it's the same, but cheaper to produce, a budget version ;)

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm between buying this and the everdrive. The everdrive has lots of cool features that I want, but it's price is nothing to scoff at and Krizz might drop support like with the original Everdrive GB. I'll wait to see what features this has.

Reactions: Jacklack3

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea of the replacement batteries. This is probably the one to buy, though the case design is sorta cheesy...might be me. If its $40, I'll grab one. I'm still using my EZFAs and enjoying them.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They cut down the board years ago for Lite models, but I guess now it's actually economically viable to do it large-scale. The cost of adding in a spare shell is trivial in comparison, but it's good to see that they're making a solution that appeals to everyone (who likes their DS Lite dust covers in black).

I am a bit concerned about the battery switch-up, though; easily replaceable is great, and the CR1220 is gonna be a lot easier to fit into a Lite shell, but it's also got a quarter of the capacity of a 2025 at best. Even with a reduction in power consumption, you'd probably end up swapping it out semi-regularly.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It's a shame about no new features.
And they already made the microsd ez vi, so I don't see why this is really needed, apart for ds lites.
Maybe more need to be made and no point making the old ones.
For people who don't have a gba flash cart and if this is a good price, get it, but no reason to replace anything with this card.

My old ez vi is still going strong :)
I think the card or pcb says manufactured 2006? Crazy.
The latest kernel thankfully works with it, so I get the auto patching stuff too.

Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: tiduscrying

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I broke my EZ Flash 3in1 trying to replace the soldered battery back in the day. Good that they made it replacable now, but I won't get one regardless. Imo the GBA flash cart train has long left the station.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Replaceable battery instead of FRAM? Or is the battery just for RTC?

R4 Revolution
EZ-Flash Reform
Supercard Snap Elections???
Ez vi has a battery, not for rtc (that would need a crystal too I think?) but just to hold the save in ram between a power cycle.
When you turn it back on, or soft reset back to the main menu, the save gets backed up to the memory card.

The only difference with this new version of ez vi is that it's easier to replace the battery, no soldering necessary.
Although some/many? gba flashcards had a replaceable battery back 'back in the day' :)
So this isn't really new at all, just hopefully it will be cheap!

Last edited by cearp,

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Replaceable battery instead of FRAM? Or is the battery just for RTC?

R4 Revolution
EZ-Flash Reform
Supercard Snap Elections???
Battery on EZFlash IV range is to maintain SRAM. There isn't RTC on those, and I doubt that these Ez-Flash Reform will have RTC.

About getting this and a EDGBA X5, if Ez Reform is essentially a Ez4 MicroSD feature wise (we don't know for sure yet) with easily replaceable battery it all boils down to if you'll play games that uses RTC features and if you actually care to said features.
EzFlash IV kernel now have auto-patching in the flash card, making it an actual drag&drop solution, so EDGBA X5 isn't alone on said feature.
Other than RTC (that we don't know if Reform will have or not), the only actual advantage that remains to EDGBA X5 is the instant ROM loading without writing games to a NOR memory.
It's interesting to see EzFlash trying to gain advantages with revisions on their product.

Last edited by Tomy Sakazaki,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I guess the important question is, does it support rtc? That's probably the only notable feature missing from ezflash IV.

If not, then is this just a hardware revision to support the easiness of replacing batteries?

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I guess the important question is, does it support rtc? That's probably the only notable feature missing from ezflash IV.
Probably no.
If not, then is this just a hardware revision to support the easiness of replacing batteries?
Its a hardware revision to make 1 card for ds lite and gba/ds fat, replacing 2 previous models (3in1 and IV).

Reactions: Madridi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father