EZ-FLASH IV

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by RoMee, May 2, 2011.

May 2, 2011

EZ-FLASH IV by RoMee at 4:06 PM (83,857 Views / 3 Likes) 114 replies

1. Coconut

Member Coconut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    For some reason I cannot send any games to my mini SD. Any help?

2. Cactuar

Member Cactuar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks a lot RoMee, this guide is going to be all I need to get started. I'm buying my EZ-Flash IV from a local seller in the next couple days.

3. Skrubber

Newcomer Skrubber Member

Sweden
    A few hours was all it took for me to lose all my saves. I was careful to always restart the console after playing, to make sure the saves were transfered to the SD card.

I thought this was to be more reliable than the DS solutions. Fuck this shit. I even bought an AGS-101 just for this. God damn it!

4. gamedude

Newcomer gamedude Newbie

United States
    Hello...

RoMee did a great job on this tutorial! I am a newbie at this and I appreciate the step by step instructions.

A few Questions please about playing video files on a Gameboy Advance SP,....

1) If I just want to play one or more video files (avi, mov, etc...) on a Gameboy Advance SP, how would those specific instructions fit into RoMee's tutorial?

2) Can I program the memory card and assign which control buttons can play a file, so that I can assign "button A" to play file#1 and then assign "button B" to play file #2?

3) Can I program the memory card a video file to play automatically when the power is turned on?

Thanks in advance:bow:

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    1) Video on the GBA is a difficult gig -- your average 16 meg GBA file might just fit in about 5 minutes of less than stellar footage. Proper video using common file formats is right out.
    Still the main (read basically only) method people use is called the meteo video converter ( http://www.gameboy-advance.net/video/meteo_avi-2-gba_video_codec.htm ).

2) Not really.

3) Afraid not.

If I felt like messing around for several hours I might just be able to pull off 2 and 3 but given I would still be stuck with 1 then I do not see it as worth the time.

6. TVippy

Newcomer TVippy Member

United States
    Same shit here. I went through all the trouble of getting an AGA-101 and this hard to get piece of junk thinking it was more convenient than playing on DS. Was I mistaken...

7. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    You either have a faulty card or the ROMs are named or patched incorrectly. I've been using a couple ez-flash IVs in multiple GBAs for some time with no issues.

• Do games not save at all (playing one, resetting, playing another, resetting then playing the first again gives no save every time) or do they save then later down the track get lost/corrupted?
    • When a save is lost, is just the one game affected or all?
      • If only some games are affected, rename both the rom and the .sav file using 8.3 format (no more than 8 character filename and 3 character extension). Only some games are affected by this EG the Super Mario Advance series.
    • Have all games been patched with the EZ-flash Client? (http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-ez4-client-2009-04-03-f31119.html)
    • When you copied the patched ROMs to your MiniSD, did you also copy all the .sav files the ez-flash client created to x:\saver on the MiniSD?
      • The client creates a folder named 'saver' on the root of whatever drive you output the patched ROMs to
        • While the cart itself can (try to) create .sav files itself, its buggy as hell (especially with ROMs with long filenames), so you really have to ensure you copy the ones the client creates to your minSD.
    • Is the cart running the latest firmware? (http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17257 or http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/c...sh-iv-1720-reset-mother-3-skin-10-f24994.html are 2 popular versions of the latest firmware)

macmanhigh likes this.
  8. Menas

Newcomer Menas Newbie

Brazil
    My EZ Flash IV is coming so I'm going to ask before I have the same issues the guys here had. What is needed to save the game? Play it, turn the GBA off and turn it on again? What happens if I play another game?

9. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Initially you should patch the game, in the game save as usual and it will load/write for as long as you have the power on, when you cycle the power (or next power it if you turn it off) then the save will be written back to the memory card. The next game you launch will have its corresponding save written to the SRAM section when you boot and then load/save as normal.

The only variation on this is automatic and obliged saving (it is an option in the menu). Automatic writes the save as above but gives you an option to cancel the save, obliged also writes the save as above but removes the option to cancel the save.
    The only reason you would really want to cancel as far as I can tell is if you played a game and did not want the save progress to count (you fancied doing something silly but did not want it to impact the main game sort of thing), in those cases I would probably just restore a normal backup though.

There is technically a multiple save option (up to 101 saves per game) but it is very clunky and when it comes to normal people using it very fiddly so I do not suggest people use it.

10. Sgt. Cuddles

Newcomer Sgt. Cuddles Member

United States
    I just got a cart and will have to wait until tomorrow when I'm more awake to set up all this malarkey, but I had a quick question for now: Do Mini SD cards even exist anymore? Ebay only has like three that I found, all unbranded and all from Hong Kong. Can I just use a 2gb Micro SD and converter?

I apologize if this was already addressed. I read through two pages and didn't see it. Too tired anymore.

Thanks.

11. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    They do exist though as they were never the most popular form factor (SD is not that large and microSD is not that expensive or even all that inferior) they are not the most common. Shops that sell second hand/old mobile/cell phones and amazon have been the main sources.

The adapters... we strongly advise against them. For reasons unknown (I assume we have all had microSD to SD adapters function after being trodden on and chewed up by a dog or worse) the microSD to miniSD have been seen to cause no end of trouble for EZ4 users. Certainly some have got them to work and they work fine to this day but most troubles we see with the EZ4 (that are not "how do I use the software" or "can I do ?") are resolved immediately and completely when the troubled user gets a miniSD. If you have an adapter, a local shop has one for a couple of dollars or a mate has one going spare then by all means try it and other than maybe some crashes and a lost save you are not risking anything but "get a miniSD" is the party line these days.

12. Menas

Newcomer Menas Newbie

Brazil
    Thanks for your answer FAST6191! Where can I get a miniSD cheap or at least decent?

13. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    In Brazil.. no idea. I would probably still look at somewhere that sells old mobile phones, second hand cameras and such like as they are typically the main places to have some older ones sitting around. If you get lucky they may have a bit of old stock they want to get rid of too.

These days it is mostly keep looking and think long and hard before buying anything that ships out of Hong Kong or China.

14. Menas

Newcomer Menas Newbie

Brazil
    Well, I have a camera here, at my job with a 2GB MiniSD. I can replace it for a adapter and a MicroSD. But I've been using it for a while (almost 2 years). Can I have problems with it?

15. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Cameras, especially if you are playing with video, can hammer flash memory so there is the possibility the card is on the way out. GBA flash carts are pretty easy on theirs though so give it a go.

16. Menas

Newcomer Menas Newbie

Brazil
    Thanks again! I only use it for photos and it never showed up any problems. Anyways I'm thinking on buying a new one from ebay. Better safe than sorry, right?

17. Xarsah16

Member Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

You may get lucky but eBay usually removes flash carts really quickly. I wouldn't count on it. Not to mention, you could be getting a knockoff or a useless broken unit. It is very risky... Best advice is to stick around, don't spam, and get to 100 posts on this forum. Then you can access the want to buy and want to sell sections :)

18. Menas

Newcomer Menas Newbie

Brazil
    Yes, most of them are used and all come from China or somewhere alike. It is certainly risky. I didn't know about that, much thanks! I will do that, so. 100 is an easy goal.

19. Newcomer1029

Newcomer Newcomer1029 Newbie

Germany
    I do not know if you will even read this question but anyway....I am using Linux (Ubuntu) on my Computer and I tried to get the newest EZ Flash IV Client working properly with Wine but it does not! Whenever I try to patch my favourite ROMs into the folder of the SD card, where all my games are, everything seems fine but the weird thing is that in the "SAVER" folder, that I have made, there are no Save files and I do not know why! Is it the fact that I am using Linux on my Computer? In addition, the patched ROMs do not show the GBA Logo at the beginning of each game. Just like in the Supercard Mini SD! I do not know what causes that. Please help and did anyone try to get the EZ Flash IV Client work with Linux?

20. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Linux, wine and EZ4client is odd. I assume you assigned a D: drive in the wine config or altered the program and also pointed the internal EZ4 setup to the location of your miniSD card. If you did not alter the internal EZ4 location it tends to put it on you "C" drive wherever you told wine to stick it which also is where you will find the saves.

When you say no logo do you mean the GBA screen appears after you launch the ROM from the menu but the little pink/purple logo at the bottom of the screen is garbled or not there? Assuming you have a miniSD and not a microSD to miniSD adapter this is a problem as it should not have touched the headers of the ROM images. If it is an adapter... well this is why we suggest people put the work to find a miniSD. Do you have any games with no saves that you can just copy across* to test?

All that said as long as you are not after soft reset or trying to use the onboard cheats then you can use anything that patches GBA roms in the normal manner. GBATA from http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm should be able to do it (use the SRAM patch option).

ADVANsCEne's list of games with no saves