Hacking EZ Flash IV kernel updated to 1.77

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Before the EZTeam came back with the new batch and SDHC version the kernel most used (mainly as I put it with everything and the main downloads) was the modulo RESET loader which as you say did a hard reset to launch a game, technically it was to fix an unrelated bug but it did also allow things that might not have worked with a hard reset to work without thinking about it.
The newer kernels that came with the new batch and then the SDHC stuff use the EZTeam's standard soft reset approach to things. Some people were experimenting to see if they could hack hard reset to be default (and I think some of the new batch but pre sdhc stuff did get it) but I am not sure what goes there right now.

Entroper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which was the first version of the firmware to support SDHC cards? I have an older model EZFlashIV that runs great with a standard miniSD card, but I've just gotten one of the new microSD models as a backup and the only spare card I have laying around is an 8GB SDHC. As long as the card is supported and NOR works properly and all that, having the newest version doesn't matter to me--just want to have a fully working cart.

Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whoa if it is one of the new microSD models then it should have shipped with a SDHC supporting kernel, maybe not the latest one here but still shipped with it. I am not entirely sure what might happen if you shove a pre SDHC kernel on there but bricking is well within the realms of possibility.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa if it is one of the new microSD models then it should have shipped with a SDHC supporting kernel, maybe not the latest one here but still shipped with it. I am not entirely sure what might happen if you shove a pre SDHC kernel on there but bricking is well within the realms of possibility.
Oh, I thought, other than the microSD slot, the hardware was the same. I'll edit my post so people don't get any ideas if it could lead to a brick.

Entroper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not clear on whether the hardware is the same either--no documentation of any kind with the new package.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not clear on whether the hardware is the same either--no documentation of any kind with the new package.

If this is about the MicroSD batch, I'm PRETTY sure (Though cannot confirm since I never owned an original cart) it's similar in hardware to the late-batch MiniSD models; minus of course the lack of the standard miniSD port in lieu of the spring-loaded MicroSD one.

And it's a transparent black instead of a white. So... that's a thing.

Entroper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I installed 1.77 and it works straight out (my GBA roms, NOR game and HVCA all work fine), except for a couple of kinks. The first is that all the menus are in Chinese. I can see the English file there but don't know how to apply it.

The other thing that isn't working yet is Goomba. I think it's due to the size of my compiled file, as the only part of the error message I can read is something about PSRAM. Is there a hard PSRAM limit for file size, and if so, what is it? This one is admittedly huge.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On the language thing then you should be able to change that. If you press down a few times from the start menu they will be a settings icon (probably a gear or something). Press A a couple of times and it should pop up with Chinese Language or English language. Press down to select English and then press A.
You might see an older down ? times thing out there but I think they removed something from the loader so that might not work with the newer ones, though once you are in the settings menu it should be the same.

Yeah 16 megs is the limit here. You can waste your NOR on something if you want and get up to 32 there. Most would just split the goomba file up into smaller compilations.

Entroper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, got it all working now. English and split my Goomba library into 10 parts, works like a charm. Now I've got both miniSD and microSD models working flawlessly.

Thank you again for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end