Hacking EZ Flash IV 2015 issues?

MilestheWolfman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll admit, I'm a couple years late to the flash card party, and I'm new, but I'm generally quick on the uptake. This thing has officially boggled my mind. Googling has done me virtually no good. I have found a couple of setup guides for the EZ Flash IV, but they're all older and reference the MiniSD version, which you'd think would be the same, but I'm not so sure anymore.

• I have a 2015 model EZ Flash IV, and a 32gb microSDHC card. My PC runs Windows 10. No matter what I do, this card cannot be formatted to FAT. It can be formatted to FAT32, exFAT and nfts. I assume FAT32 would still work, but these things seem to be fickle. Do I need to downgrade the size of memory card I'm using?

• I did manage to get the EZ Flash IV working for a short period of time. The reason I bought the cart is specifically to stream GBA games that I don't own, Mother 3 being the big one. I tried to move it over to the NOR memory by pressing select, but when it finished, it gave me a neverending list of errors. Subsequently, trying to run a smaller game like FFVI Advance didn't work either.

• I tried reformatting the card and replacing the kernel. I held down the R button, and it went into the update. I held that damn button for 2 hours, and it never progressed. My GB Micro died mid-process because I wasn't paying attention. Now, no matter what I do, the flash cart is simply not recognized by any GBA I try to use. Is there any way to fix this, or is the cart bricked?
I hope you guys can help me out. I really want to get into this sort of thing, but the entry barrier is killing me. I just want to understand these things. Thanks again.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No they moved to FAT32 for SDHC. If you have a conventional SD class device it still has to be FAT32 for the newer kernels too.

Odd, that should have worked and I have not heard of errors like that.

That would sound like a brick. For the older ones there were some things you might do but it was not updated for the 2015 model. If it erased the loader to write a new one (you did not need to hold R, it is just the key the EZ4 uses when it boots to see if you want to do an update). Contact your vendor if you reckon they will replace it as there is likely not a lot you can do here if it is not recognised. If you have a DS or another GBA or something though then do try it in that as sometimes it can be the GBA that is the culprit.

MilestheWolfman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No they moved to FAT32 for SDHC. If you have a conventional SD class device it still has to be FAT32 for the newer kernels too.

Odd, that should have worked and I have not heard of errors like that.

That would sound like a brick. For the older ones there were some things you might do but it was not updated for the 2015 model. If it erased the loader to write a new one (you did not need to hold R, it is just the key the EZ4 uses when it boots to see if you want to do an update). Contact your vendor if you reckon they will replace it as there is likely not a lot you can do here if it is not recognised. If you have a DS or another GBA or something though then do try it in that as sometimes it can be the GBA that is the culprit.

Well, I've tried it in my Micro, which is worked on initially, my Game Boy Player in the GCN, and the GBA SP that I have laying around. Nothing seems to work, it just loads up the Game Boy screen, the Nintendo logo doesn't show up, nothing. It just sits there.

I bought it through Amazon, a dealer by the name of mentalKase I assume which is out of China. I'd either like a replacement or a refund so I can go elsewhere. Glad to see that this was noticed, gives me hope for being helped in the future. Thanks again!

EddieEddie90

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You have a better chance at gba emulation with a EZ Flash for NDS lite, works like a charm and you can play ANYTHING on it, and I mean ANY game, even Mother 3. You don't need extra patches or third party software or apps for it to work, the only thing you will need is an R4 with slot-2 support. (Which I believe ALL of them has that)

Now, if you wanna go deeper you can get a PSP 3000 with a CFW and the gpSP emulator from google, best emulator for the PSP by far.

If you wanna go WAY deeper than that, you can buy a N3DS XL with a CFW and the agb_firm installed on it, that way you can play original AND custom GBA VC titles (Including Mother 3), as well as SNES, GB, GBC, Game Gear, NES, among others. If I were you I would go with this one.

Last edited by EddieEddie90,

MilestheWolfman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a better chance at gba emulation with a EZ Flash for NDS lite, works like a charm and you can play ANYTHING on it, and I mean ANY game, even Mother 3. You don't need extra patches or third party software or apps for it to work, the only thing you will need is an R4 with slot-2 support. (Which I believe ALL of them has that)
But can I use that on my Game Boy Player for the GCN? That's what I'm using this for. I don't have a DS Lite anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.