EZ Flash IV 2.0 Kernel Release - No more patching

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Riptide, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Gyron

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    You might also consider fixing the interrupts which prevent the official sleep modes working in the games which have them (eg. Mario Golf and Mario Tennis).
    By the way, "Rocky (U) (Release 0727)" and "Rocky (E) (release 1862)" still don't work on Kernel v2.01. Also "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (UE) (release 0033)" still needs to be manually patched to SRAM to save correctly.

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octovalley
    So we can run our own raw ROM dumps without the patching app? Sounds good!

3. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Buy another microSD model then ;) - The EZFlash team will have an additional unit sold and you'll receive and additional card. Sounds like a win-win to me :D

Yes, some games do still require the hardware reset before launching. In the default Firmware you have to manually invoke the hard reset by holding the L button, I patched my skin to always do that. You can either try my skin or I can provide an .ips patch for 2.01 firmwares

4. Torci2008

Torci2008 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2017
    Russia
    Everyone talks about the sleep regime and resets ... but I do not understand what's the matter. My games are all patched, and there is a reset and a sleep mode. With firmware 2.X new functions of buttons were added?

5. Localhorst86

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    The EZFlash Team mentioned they intend to implement the sleep/reset-to-menu patching on the fly in a future release (maybe 2.02?) just like they did with the save patching. People are looking forward to this and are discussing on how well it'll work and what the challenges are.

Additonaly to this, other people are talking (in parallel) about a feature of the EZFlash that does a hardware reset after loading the ROM. This is needed for some games and can be invoked by launching a game with the L+A Button. This feature is not new, though and has been in the kernel for a long time.

6. yamca

yamca Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2006
    Australia
    I tried several roms and directly copy them to the sd card. But I am getting "File Format Error".
    Some of the pathced roms I played with my previous firmware (1.74) gives the same error too.

7. migles

migles i'm a dude, i just enjoy pretty girls and money...

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    inb4 "i am angry that go back to menu can't be configured, and now is breaking some games, damn ezteam why u do this"

8. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    tbh I'd probably just use yours lol, I use Clearlooks because I didn't want to bother with making my own skin (seems complicated), also because it fixed some of the weird grammar and syntax on the interface. Yours is pretty much Clearlooks but tweaked a bit so it's basically the same thing for me.
    Though right now honestly, tempted to not really bother quite yet, since all my games work as I want on 1.72 right now so the incentive to go to 2.0(2?) isn't there yet. Maybe if I find more games in the future that don't play well with EZ4Client.

That being said I think putting that ips file available somewhere would be useful; a lot of people would like to just patch their fw/skin with it rather than having to use your skin (although I guess it's always possible to download your skin and replace the images with theirs, more straightforward and convenient to just patch for hard reset directly though.)

Also I'd be interested in knowing what edits need to be made in the ezfla_up.bin, to know how it works and so I'd be able to do it myself no matter the firmware.

9. Localhorst86

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    That's my main concern as well. What if it breaks a game? What if the button combo is used in a game?

10. Torci2008

Torci2008 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2017
    Russia
    And in which games is L + A used?

11. Localhorst86

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    I *know* of yoshi's island and the boktai games. But I am using my own skin which is hard patched to do the hardware reset upon launch so I don't really know what other games might be troublesome.

12. JediAviator

JediAviator Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2016
    United States
    Same happen to me, I get a error after the black screen

13. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    It did this to me too until I used an SD card. (Not SDHC) See if you have a small sd floating around. (If that's the issue)

14. SSEpochX

SSEpochX Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2017
    United States
    My non-sdhc 1gb mini sd didn't work, I used a 1gb Micro sd in a mini sd adapter and it worked like a charm.

15. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Odd, yea my 4gb mini didn't work. (probably SDHC, but doesn't say it is) Then my 2gb worked fine. Dunno, seems a little sporadic. /shrug.

16. Artur_Filho

Artur_Filho Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2016
    Brazil
    Did they change the update method in 2.0? I'm trying to update to 2.01 from 2.0 but holding R on start doesn't do anything, it boots straight to the Main Menu

EDIT: I am using a mini-SD EZ4, with a FAT16 formatted 128MB microSD card + adapter

Last edited by Artur_Filho, Jun 20, 2017 at 5:39 PM
  17. JediAviator

JediAviator Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2016
    United States
    I'm using a 2GB non SDHC micro SD in a mini SD.