Hacking EZ-Flash 4 Skin builder ()

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hey guys....i tryed to install the customized version, but it gives me black screen when i tryed to install pressing r button

@Localhorst86
What can it happend?

PD:maybe GBmicro , this evening i will try with my SP ....

Greetings
Just so we are getting this straight: you made a custom skin, took the ezfla_update.bin and copied it to the root of your SD card?

I understand it hasn't even tried to flash the file to the card? What model of the ezflash card do you have and what size is the SD card that you use?

You can also try loading your ezfla_update.bin I the batgba emulator on your PC to see if it works at all.

ym2612

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
hello localhorst86, i would like to edit the deskicon.bmp from your ez-flat iv skin, is there any chance to get your original bmp files from kernel 2.05? or is a tool available that can convert bmp to the gba format used by RomBuildPro.exe?

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hello localhorst86, i would like to edit the deskicon.bmp from your ez-flat iv skin, is there any chance to get your original bmp files from kernel 2.05? or is a tool available that can convert bmp to the gba format used by RomBuildPro.exe?
AFAIK, the is no tool to extract them from the compiled kernel.

I posted my source files at one point here:
https://gbatemp.net/index.php?posts/6528820

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

Last edited by Localhorst86,

dimenfer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys!

I'm glad that after several years some people shows love for that cart, owned the miniSD a decade ago, and now I have the reform and want to make I skin my self, searched and found a lot of related threads in sosuke, mostly outdated or for FW1.75, to avoid messing up things I searched a more recent material and found this thread, thanks, but..

When trying to use the Skin Builder but it not worked out of the box, when I run the build.bat the process closes right before the start, the ezfla file is generated but it has only a few KBs, any light for that?

I don't see any error message so I'm in the dark.

if anyone can, help me.

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    54.7 KB · Views: 212

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys!

I'm glad that after several years some people shows love for that cart, owned the miniSD a decade ago, and now I have the reform and want to make I skin my self, searched and found a lot of related threads in sosuke, mostly outdated or for FW1.75, to avoid messing up things I searched a more recent material and found this thread, thanks, but..

When trying to use the Skin Builder but it not worked out of the box, when I run the build.bat the process closes right before the start, the ezfla file is generated but it has only a few KBs, any light for that?

I don't see any error message so I'm in the dark.

if anyone can, help me.
There is no GUI to the tool.
882Kb sounds reasonable, depending on your images. Try running the file in the batgba emulator (https://batgba.zophar.net/) - if you can see your skin, congratulations.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I REAAAAAAAALY hate to bump this thread, but I need help... I'm trying to make a custom theme.

The prep work is done: I've upgraded my cart to the v2.05 official kernel, and have an 8GB SD card formatted as FAT32 with 8KB clusters, the highest it would allow.

Now, to my issue:
I am trying to use the skinbuilder in the OP of this thread to make a custom theme for kernel v2.05. I extracted the Skinbuilder to it's own folder, and then unzipped the 2.05 kernelpack to that folder, overwriting the .rom file and replacing the patches that came with Skinbuilder with the new ones from the kernelpack. My builks come out at almost 900KB, which seems about normal. The problem though, is when I place the newly-built ezfla_up.bin on the SD card and boot up the Gameboy holding R, all I get is a black screen. I haven't even replaced any bitmaps at this point, so what am I doing wrong? Do I need to use a different SD card to write a new kernel?

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I REAAAAAAAALY hate to bump this thread, but I need help... I'm trying to make a custom theme.

The prep work is done: I've upgraded my cart to the v2.05 official kernel, and have an 8GB SD card formatted as FAT32 with 8KB clusters, the highest it would allow.

Now, to my issue:
I am trying to use the skinbuilder in the OP of this thread to make a custom theme for kernel v2.05. I extracted the Skinbuilder to it's own folder, and then unzipped the 2.05 kernelpack to that folder, overwriting the .rom file and replacing the patches that came with Skinbuilder with the new ones from the kernelpack. My builks come out at almost 900KB, which seems about normal. The problem though, is when I place the newly-built ezfla_up.bin on the SD card and boot up the Gameboy holding R, all I get is a black screen. I haven't even replaced any bitmaps at this point, so what am I doing wrong? Do I need to use a different SD card to write a new kernel?
This might be an sd issue. You can test your ezfla_up.bin file in the batgba emulator (others might work, too, but I know batgba definitely works.)
To see if it boots at all.

If it does, your bin file is all right.

What type of sd card are you using and what model of ezflash IV do you have? If it's the old white mini-sd model, you're going to need a non-SDHC (less than 4gb in size) card to update the kernel as the bootloader of that card can't handle SDHC cards.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If it's the old white mini-sd model, you're going to need a non-SDHC (less than 4gb in size) card to update the kernel as the bootloader of that card can't handle SDHC cards.
That solved it! I used the old 1GB Mini SD formatted to FAT16 and 64K cluster size to do the flashing of the new theme, and it works now. Thanks for the help! And yeah, mine is the old White version EZ-FLASH IV.

Thanks for your help, and great app!

Localhorst86

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That solved it! I used the old 1GB Mini SD formatted to FAT16 and 64K cluster size to do the flashing of the new theme, and it works now. Thanks for the help! And yeah, mine is the old White version EZ-FLASH IV.

Thanks for your help, and great app!
Yeah, keep that card around. You will always need that for flashing different kernels to the card :yaysp:

Reactions: Jayro

Leeka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey, thank you for the tool ! Great work. Saved me a lot of time.

I'm in the process of creating a skin, had this "issue" :
There's a white square appearing whenever a game loads (in the describe window, behind the "loading x%") and where the arrow is when you select an option in that same window, like language and such.

Do you know of a workaround...Apart from a white background ?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thank you for the tool ! Great work. Saved me a lot of time.

I'm in the process of creating a skin, had this "issue" :
There's a white square appearing whenever a game loads (in the describe window, behind the "loading x%") and where the arrow is when you select an option in that same window, like language and such.

Do you know of a workaround...Apart from a white background ?
I've been trying to hunt down those light squares to fix them in the theme I made, but I can't find them. There's also some chinese symbols I can't seem to find either. (They aren't in the bitmaps.)

Leeka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've been trying to hunt down those light squares to fix them in the theme I made, but I can't find them. There's also some chinese symbols I can't seem to find either. (They aren't in the bitmaps.)
Couldn't find that either in the textures.
I'll see later if I can figure out how to open the rombuildpro's code. Maybe there's something to do here.

Edit : also when I can post links and files I'll put my theme on this site, it's finished now apart from those EZFlash OS quirks

Leeka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll see later if I can figure out how to open the rombuildpro's code. Maybe there's something to do here.
From the nothingness I've found it seems one would have to code something to crack it open (or get something from the EZ-Flash team, UNLIKELY) .
I'm no dev so, eh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet