Hardware External HDD Question - Moving files to and from.

MDof2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My apologies if this is covered. Iv'e searched, and read the FAQ and didn't find it.
This also may be common knowledge to an educated wii gamer. Obviously, I'm new to this.

Scenario:
I'm purchasing a Wii U 32GIG (Black) for the kids.
I have an .ISO or .WUD backup file on another HDD/Random source. (downloaded, etc.)
I want to use / play this WUD file on an external USB HDD connected to my Wii U.

Question:
Can I simple format the external HDD with the Wii U utilities in the menu and then copy (move) the .WUD file I have to that HDD with WBFS Manager?

Is it that simple?
I don't want to do anything else crazy. Simply have an external USB HDD connected to the Wii U with the games on it that the kids will play.

Again, if this is common knowledge, I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction or if it's a simple yes / no. I've spent a few hours digging around and haven't been able to find it.

Thanks again.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
There's no way to play backups/ISOs of Wii U games currently. It's all here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-homebrew-situation-and-faq.367627/.

If you're really purchasing a Wii U for the kids, just buy a few games they'll never grow tired of (Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., maybe Super Mario 3D World). You'll never need to care about backups/ISOs. Problem solved. :)

MDof2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive my ignorance, but why are there 100's of step by step youtube videos on how to install homebrew, then usb loader gx, to then play ISO files from an external USB drive?
More than confused at this point.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Forgive my ignorance, but why are there 100's of step by step youtube videos on how to install homebrew, then usb loader gx, to then play ISO files from an external USB drive?
More than confused at this point.
You made it sound like you wanted to play Wii U backups, which is not possible currently. Hardly any homebrew/hacks exist for the Wii U at this time.

All/any info on loading backups on the Wii U refers to the Wii mode (vWii) and is for Wii games only. If your main objective is to play Wii backups, don't waste money on a Wii U. You'll gain nothing except an HDMI output, but the games still look and play the same as on an original Wii.

MDof2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Shin for the info.
Yes, my goal was to be able to play Wii games on the Wii U hardware / console via the attached USB drive storing the Wii games in ISO or WBFS format.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality