Dilendeau

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good afternoon to all

I've been looking at this forum for quite some time, searching for a fix regarding a problem that I have with my external hard drive on Wii U

I've recently changed my PS4 hardrive, swapping the 500 go for a 2 To, and thought it would be the perfect occasion to make the old ps4 500 go a dedicated wii and wii u hard drive. ( I was previously using an external hard drive from Western Digital a 2To 3'5 with a power socket)

I tried the external hard drive on the Wii, worked like a charm, perfect now on the Wii U.
However it seems the hard drive is not even recognized by the Wii U, I don't the warning message that I always got before when using the 3.5 hard drive about the format of the hard drive. The hard drive is powered with the y cord, tried switching the port, nothing changed.
I tried another external hard drive as well (this time the one I took off a PS3), again no hard drive detected (I get the light showing it's powered but if I go on usb loader gx, I get the hard drive is not initialized)...

That quite annoying as you can imagine, especially when it works perfectly on the Wii... so am I doomed to get another external hard drive if I want to play all my wii and gc games, or is there somekind of a trick to do to make it work ( 2 self powered hard drive and 2 failures that's quite a shock)
In advance I thank you for your help

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is your drive formated to Fat32? becuase preety much all homebrew can only read fat32 with very few exceptions that can read ntfs.

Dilendeau

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, I had to format it to Fat 32 with 32 cluster size to make it work on the Wii so the hard drive is on the same settings for the Wii U

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, I had to format it to Fat 32 with 32 cluster size to make it work on the Wii so the hard drive is on the same settings for the Wii U
for usbloader gx the harddrive needs to have the y cable data transfer one on the top back port, very few apps allow any other port just maintain the data one on the top back port with the wiiu laying down the remaning power y cable one can be anywhere really.

Dilendeau

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did it, i've been looking online to see if I was plugging the cable in the good ports, main one is on the top and the other on the bottom, the drive is spinning , i can hear it but nowhere to be found... the fact that the wii u doesn't give me the warning about the hard drive not being in the good format surprised me as well .

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Did it, i've been looking online to see if I was plugging the cable in the good ports, main one is on the top and the other on the bottom, the drive is spinning , i can hear it but nowhere to be found... the fact that the wii u doesn't give me the warning about the hard drive not being in the good format surprised me as well .
if your wiiu in wiiu mode doesnt even ask you to format it to wiiu mode for you to cancell then something is definitely off with it, you sure the y cable is good? maybe one of the cables isnt tranfering the correct ammount of power making the drive turn on but not enough power to operate.

Dilendeau

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe it's the cable although i've changed the hard drive to another casing with another usb Y cable same results... i've ordered a Y cable usb 3 maybe it will work , ortherwise then the two hard drives with auto alimentation that I have tried are jinxed ....:wacko: just my luck

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Maybe it's the cable although i've changed the hard drive to another casing with another usb Y cable same results... i've ordered a Y cable usb 3 maybe it will work , ortherwise then the two hard drives with auto alimentation that I have tried are jinxed ....:wacko: just my luck
did you ever got any usb device working on the wiiu? becuase you might have a bad usb port just wondering if you ever had any usb stuff working at all.

Dilendeau

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes the first usb hard drive that I have with a external power socket works like a charm, no usb trouble whatsoever.
Thought maybe I needed to configurate something on usb loader for this new one to work but yes if it's not even showing the warning format message I guess this one will just not work...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes the first usb hard drive that I have with a external power socket works like a charm, no usb trouble whatsoever.
Thought maybe I needed to configurate something on usb loader for this new one to work but yes if it's not even showing the warning format message I guess this one will just not work...
sounds like some drives might be incompatible with the wiiu altogether, i also prefer using one with a power socket than a y cable becuase i never thrusted y cables :P

Dilendeau

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sounds maybe like it, altough I was quite happy to use this old PS4 hardrive into an external one ... was quite cheaper than buying a new one, and I like a hard drive without a power socket, it has less wires roaming around... :lol:
Anyway thanks for the help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: test what?