Hacking Exclusive M3 DS REAL Review by AhTin

MrGoomba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scoopbls - you sure you understand exactly what he is saying?
it's obvious that the saves are stored on microsd, but he is asking whether the saves are backed up to microsd from the battery on reboot, or directly written to microsd during gameplay...

then again you might have understood it perfectly, wherby i will apologise.

You get it pretty close, I want to know if there is a way (and QPC doesnt count) that I can write games saves directly to the MicroSD while playing, not after its rebooted. And a way to prevent the auto backup on reboot.

When the battery eventually dies, this would make the difference between a usable device, or an expensive paperweight.

The auto backup needs to be prevented because it would overwrite your manual save, and if the battery is dead, it will do so with a blank save.

Having a battery save is a nice idea to remove the need for complex button combinations to save. But its fundamentally flawed because of its finite nature. I have been burned in the past by all sorts of cartridge based games that had their batteries die prematurely, and I need to know that I will still be able to use this cart after that happens.

HackNeyed

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seeing as how while the DS is running in GBA mode it has absolutely no access what so ever to any specific DS hardware I can't think of any way it wouldn't have to save to a battery. I'm not sure of any Slot-2 device that saves directly to a Slot-2 MicroSD in either DS or GBA mode but that, or some other non volatile memory in the Slot-2 is the only way I can think it could be done, I could be wrong.

I completely understand the concern about the battery, it may recharge while you are playing or it may not and only last 3 or so years. But I'm comforted by the fact that none of these devices use some alien battery technology that you can't replace somehow* when that time comes.

* Some soldering skills may apply.

scoopbls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's obvious that the saves are stored on microsd, but he is asking whether the saves are backed up to microsd from the battery on reboot, or directly written to microsd during gameplay...

Then I am not sure, I am new to this. Is there a way I can run a test, If you let me know I will try.

MrGoomba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I'm not sure of any Slot-2 device that saves directly to a Slot-2 MicroSD in either DS or GBA mode
Slot 2 Supercards typically have no battery and save directly to the SD/MicroSD slot

QUOTE said:
then I am not sure, I am new to this. Is there a way I can run a test, If you let me know I will try.
I havent found any specs on the GBA Expansion, I dont even know if it has a battery, but if it does you can be sure it saves to the battery and backs that save up (bad idea) on the MicroSD at boot.

My question isnt if it does that or not, it probably does, my question is if there is a way to override this, so I am not left with a paperweight a couple years down the road.

If my MicroSD dies, I can go to any local store and pick up another. The same isnt true for batteries in these devices.

But I'm comforted by the fact that none of these devices use some alien battery technology
Where are the spec? What kind of battery does it use? Do you for for certain that the battery is one you can order locally in the USA?

It not, then alien is the right word: "of another place or part of the world'

Since the whole device and everything about it seems to originate in China?, I suspect that they use a battery that might be found locally there, but not here.

If anyone can get the info on the exact battery, and I manage to track down local solutions, it might be sufficient.

Another question, does the M3DS-R GBA Expansion use volatile memory or is it NOR like Ez V 3 in 1 ?

gamesclub15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thing the m3 ds real is very cool
and what is SDHC?
i want to buy this too but i want to know what SDHC cards will work for me from this cards:

TransFlash 6GB SanDisk
PhotoFast TransFlash/microSD HC 6GB Class 4
SanDisk TranceFlash 4GB
PhotoFast TransFlash microSD HC 4GB Class 4

so what SDHC card can work in the m3 ds real?

scoopbls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thing the m3 ds real is very cool
and what is SDHC?
i want to buy this too but i want to know what SDHC cards will work for me from this cards:

TransFlash 6GB SanDisk
SanDisk TranceFlash 4GB

so what SDHC card can work in the m3 ds real?

I have a Kingston 4GB TransFlash microSD HC 4GB. Seems to work fine so far. Only tested it for 2 days. With around 10 games. This device is great!

gamesclub15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but you not answer

will this sdhc cards will work on m3ds real?
TransFlash 6GB SanDisk
SanDisk TranceFlash 4GB

if they will so its very cool!

so they will work?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think there have been some issues to using cards greater than 4 GB (there is a thread regarding these problems in the M3 Adapter section)

c2ironfist

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

This was my question. Does the M3 Real have an internal battery?
Does it need to be rebooted before the save is written to micro SD?

Thanks a bunch

xier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a similar problem- New M3Real Card - using 4GB micro card and I loaded the latest 2.7B E files on the card and when I boot I get
Language = Chinese
No System Files Found
Put in System Files....

I have also tried older versions - 2.5Beta as suggested in a previous post but I get the same message...

If I run the system files that came with the CD it works - albiet in Chinese ---

Any help getting an english version working would be great!!

I have the Perfect bundle (both the GBA and Rumble RAM packs)
I got a 4GB HCSD Micro. I have the roms, I copied the roms to the root dir. I tried putting them in a NDS folder too...
Both times I got a message saying

------------------------------
[LANGUAGE ENGLISH]

No system file found!
put system file in
------------------------------

Please help?! I am new to this...
cry.gif

The instructions as I expected are not good at all (just the back of the box). But if this works it's a cool device. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MrRochie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rofl2.gif
Greets Dudes..
blink.gif
Quick question.. I see on the label of the rumble and gba exp. that it is for "DS lite only". Does that mean the Rumble, & GBA expansion, possibly the M3 real will not work on a standard DS model?? Really considering buying one if I could get all three to work on my DS. I have a lot of Compact F available but there is no workable solution. Any other suggestions??

MrGoomba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA and Rumble expansions are sized to fit the DS Lite Slot 2. They wont physically fit into the original DS.

The Slot1 portion should work just fine.

There are multiple solutions that have worked on other carts for an original DS to use the expanisons.

The easiest would be to get a GBA game you dont want, open it up, and swap the guts from the expansions into the GBA cart, gluing/padding where needed to keep it in the right spot, and stable.

I have heard others using GBA Cheat devices, (turned off) as an expander for the slot so DS Lite Slot 2 cards will work.

Scuzzy5005

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.realhotstuff.com/real-rumble-expansion-p-258.html

This is the M3 real bundle i would buy if you want gba support with it

Realhotstuff is a great place to order from too.

Received my card in 48 hours from ordering from these guys, with DHL ground shipping

I like it how you got yours in that amount of time....here is the current tracking of mine(same ordering process as you.), it stayed in Sioux falls for a while but left the station numerous times only to return to Sioux falls again...and again.
I don't know how many times you can arrive in the same place in a row....but DHL proved that you can go from point A to Point B to Point B To point B...attempt to leave Point B, to Point B, to Point B, to Point C and Back to Point B.
wacko.gif

I called DHL and the representative said it was natural...they just did not want me to get a refund.

12/3/2007 9:11 am With delivery courier. ? Sioux Falls, SD
7:09 am Arrived at DHL facility. ? Sioux Falls, SD
11/30/2007 5:22 pm Processed at DHL Location. ? Fargo, ND (HEY THATS WHERE I LIVE)
5:19 pm In transit. ? Sioux Falls, SD
5:47 am Arrived at DHL facility. ? Sioux Falls, SD
11/29/2007 7:24 pm Scheduled for delivery ? Sioux Falls, SD
8:59 am With delivery courier. ? Sioux Falls, SD
7:51 am Arrived at DHL facility. ? Sioux Falls, SD
11/28/2007 5:57 am Arrived at DHL facility. ? Sioux Falls, SD
11/27/2007 6:06 am Arrived at DHL facility. ? Sioux Falls, SD
11/26/2007 8:02 am Arrived at DHL facility. ? Sioux Falls, SD
11/24/2007 7:02 am Arrived at DHL facility. ? Sioux Falls, SD
5:08 am Depart Facility ? Wilmington - Clinton Field, OH
1:58 am Processed at DHL Location. ? Wilmington - Clinton Field, OH
12:07 am Transit through DHL facility
11/23/2007 10:49 pm Depart Facility ? East Windsor, NJ
8:14 pm Processed at DHL Location. ? East Windsor, NJ
6:01 pm Shipment picked up ? East Windsor, NJ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol