Everdrive or RetroUSB?

DrFiishy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So for the last couple days ive been taking a more serious look into retro gaming and the first thing that pops up is that it is VERY expensive to even start a collection now-a-days, so ive started looking into more ways to play the games like emulation, the raspberry,and then ofcrouse flashcards.

Now here comes the issue for me on a personal level emulation on the pc doesnt give me that ''real'' feeling, and what worries me about the raspberry that it also doesnt give me that ''real'' feeling so the only option here is a flashcard. So ive looked around here and there (for NES and SNES mostly) and discoverd that there are 2 main flashcards the one from Everdrive and the ones from RetroUSB, and i was wondering wich series is the ''best'' one? Is it better to go for everdrive cause it has SD cards? or does the RetroUSB one has more compatibility overal?

Long question short:

NES: Everdrive or Powerpak? and why.
SNES: Everdrive or SNESPowerpa or SD2SNES? and why.

Also ive seen 1 N64 flashcard also from Everdrive so im guessing thats the only one?(havent really looked into that)

it would be great to hear someone's opinion on this, also if there are any other ''good'' flashcards out there fro either NES and SNES (better as the ones above) ill be also glad to hear that :P

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hardly an expert on any of them, so don't take this as fact, but:
- I -believe- the NES Everdrive is more advanced than the Powerpak, but I've never seriously looked into them as my NES collection is already too big.
- The SNES Everdrive's probably the best in terms of cost-efficiency, but I think the SD2SNES supports all or most of the special on-cart enhancement chips some games require. I think it was supposed to include support for the CD-quality-type audio/FMV designs someone (byuu, maybe) cooked up (as an alternative to sound hacks for some games that only run on emulators and not real hardware)
- Most N64 backup devices were never flashcarts in the traditional sense, so the N64 everdrive's probably a nice bet there. I've seen some dubious N64 carts from NEO that basically use their GBA flashkits for ROM storage, but that's about it otherwise.

DrFiishy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah cheers, was already looking into the whole SD2SNES thing and it seems like thats even ''upgradable'' with future firmware updates, and i rather spend a few bucks more then regretting it later on hehe.

And about the NES...think its a better bet (for me) to go with the everdrive since i can just order it from europe (so i dont have to pay customs over it :P ) anyways thanks for clearing it out abit.

So now comes the other big problem......which one to go for first?!

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too am getting into retro gaming with actual hardware and got myself a SD2SNES. Just waiting for it to get here (Its on back order for 2-4 weeks on stoneage.)

DrFiishy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome, tell me how it is for ya
i am thinking of going for the NES first and see how that is, cause the SD2SNES is pretty pricy then again..you get allot for it

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing to pay attention to though. If you are planning to hook it up to a HDTV you might need extra accessories.

I was surprised to see how bad the image quality was once i plugged composite cables to my hdtv from the N64 and Snes (Got both last week).

So i did some research and found some ways to make the image become almost emulator-like quality.

For the snes I did this:

I got this box http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00988GMLG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And I also got a RGB cable (This cable was common in Europe but it never got released outside of it. It craps on S-video and composite). http://www.ebay.com/itm/201100563863?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

For the N64 it depends if you can find a RGB modded console to support RGB since it did not support it natively though some consoles are capable of supporting it with a mod. If you can not find one, a S-video cable will do.
Just buy this adapter though so you can hook up the Svideo to that same box we got for the snes. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006RBMJ46/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This video explains differences between scart and the other cables that were around at that time (There is a big difference in quality)

Some examples:

(Snes)

DrFiishy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nah im more planning on just hooking it up to my old skool tv, wich only has the COAX Cabel thing. i could just hook it up to another tv with RGB wich is right next to the old one...but for now ill stick with the coax cable one (dont ask me why...cause i really dont know xD)

DrFiishy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well ive thought about that, but for me it doesnt give that authentic feeling...it might be just cheaper to get like an USB NES controller and plug that in but i have no idea how ''fragile'' they are, some say they are and some say they arent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2