Hacking Everdrive GBA??

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
This will be the best GBA flash cart once its released even if the only difference is drag and drop.

Here's hoping he goes all out and adds in a boat load of features along with native GB/GBC emulation.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am never quite sure why people want native/in loader emulation. It usually boils down to waiting on the teams to update their loaders which either doesn't happen or takes time away from them doing something else (even if we assume it is just a hour to recompile and test that hour could be used to considerably better ends). Now if the homebrew authors want to provide an API (or the loader makers reckon they can make one -- most emulators usually amount to appending files or some kind of simple virtual filesystem so that is possible I guess) and the file is just one the user can replace then OK. Equally with the GBA also running on the DS you do have the "however good GBA code is DS code is probably going to be better, or at least have more features" thing.

ederenzi78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello,
For everdrive GBA I would also like a changeable battery without soldering / desoldering. For example, all EZ2 / EZ3 / EZ4 carts have exhausted batteries these days and you need to manually change them, with problems in soldering / desoldering and finding the correct battery (for my EZ4 I had to find a Panasonic VL2020 with vertical soldering pins - which is not that common).
Oh, I vote for the RTC too!

Thanks

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Hello,
For everdrive GBA I would also like a changeable battery without soldering / desoldering. For example, all EZ2 / EZ3 / EZ4 carts have exhausted batteries these days and you need to manually change them, with problems in soldering / desoldering and finding the correct battery (for my EZ4 I had to find a Panasonic VL2020 with vertical soldering pins - which is not that common).
Oh, I vote for the RTC too!

Thanks

I think thats a given because if you look at the GB Everdrive you can see that it looks like its a regular battery placed in a holder for easy access:

IMG_2309-360x300.JPG

That really is one of the main points that makes this cart so good because, as you say, its quite hard finding the tabbed batteries with the tabs in the correct place and adding wires in creates too much bulk. Plus, how much soldering and desoldering can the PCB really take?

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already have an EZ Flash IV, but nice to know there's another alternative in the works. Let's see how good it is. EZIV is a pain in the ass to get up and running it's true, but once you do, it works without much issues.

There are a few games that don't work well on EZ Flash IV though, like Banjo-Kazooie Grunty's Revenge (buttons are pressed too fast, making it unplayable). So maybe this one will have perfect compatibility... Maybe you won't even need to patch SRAM at all; doesn't the N64 everdrive support Flash RAM among other save types?

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order for this to compete with the EZ Flash IV it'd need to have the RTC or gyro or solar.. thingy.

Hell if he included a flashcart with 100% compatibility I'd pay a bit extra just to have all those features.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it has to use software for transferring files then at least there's a chance of it running more stably on modern systems. As it stands the EZ Flash IV software I have to use needs rebooted after every game transfer otherwise it freezes. It would also be nice if there was a way of integrating the GBA software and Goomba Front so that making Goomba ROMs could be done in one swoop.

Making it Micro SD I presume to be a given and that can only be a good thing. I would also presume that there will be a RTC if only as another selling point over the aging EZ Flash IV.

Pie in the sky things for me would be native GB and GBC game support, built in rumble and a way to fool the games into thinking they were running on the Game Boy Player so that games that support GC pad rumble would work. And using the GBA CPU to have full SGB emulation for GB games. As much as I love my GB Player I've always felt it lacks the personality of the SGB.

But back to reality... So, for me, if it ends up with:

RTC
Micro SD slot
Decent modern software/drag and drop
Save states

It will be a day one purchase. :)

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i own 4 krikkz products/everdrives, so i eagerly wait for this too.

from my experience, i don't think it will have RTC. Krikkz said it really increases the price of the product and didn't put a RTC in his gameboy everdrive because of that.

I guess it will be drag and drop, not patched beforehand as none of his products need patching of roms.

i would say no for save states, as gameboy everdrive doesn't support it either. but who knows, it would be great if gba everdrive supports save states.

i am nearly sure about micro sd slot and SDHC support. this will be a huge selling point as we won't have to look for 2 gb miniSds anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat