Everdrive GBA is finally a reality

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
EDIT: my point is that this thing is still much more expensive than the fucking system itself
How is this a problem? Games have always been more expensive than the consoles. For example, my Wii U cost me something like ~$200, but the games I bought are worth ~$280 together. Same with my 3DSes, and every console I ever bought.
So $100 is not that much, considering you can play every game with it. Even if you include the price of a 64GB SD (~$20), this thing will become cheaper than buying the games if you use more than 8 games with it (considering these days a used GBA game costs ~15 dollars). And when you consider the GBA has much more than 8 games worth playing, it's really not that expensive. Especially when you see the quality of previous Everdrive cards.
(And I know that buying the games and buying a flashcard isn't the same as buying games, but you get my point)

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Compare it to the cost of the games.
filthy pirate scumm, arghhh

j/k

Edit: i myself am not too hyped about this. i have three flashcards already, four if you count the k-card for the revo k101 as well.

i find the price off-putting and the "oversized" shell makes my neatness sensors cringe. it will probably be awesome software wise, but i have no reason to shell out 100$ for a device that doesn't do anything new than the other devices i already own.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GBA cart market is kinda saturated right now but the everdrive series is usually high compatibility so i'm interested. just hope it doesn't end up like my n8 which had the writable rom part stop working after a few months.

sp957

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I might pass on this because I don't like the way it will stick out of my SP.

I sense there will be a v2 down the line tbh.

I don't see a point in getting a ED GBA right now. I know it's better than my EZ Flash IV, but the EZ Flash IV is already set up and patched. Now, if I was just getting my first GBA flash cart, I'd definitely go with the ED GBA.

I hope there is a v2 later on that is your standard GBA cartridge size and that can play GB/GBC games without the need of emulation.

I have a Mega Everdrive, and it's delightful to be able to just drag and drop your games without any programs, and play SMS games on it without an emulator.

Last edited by sp957,
D

Deleted User

GBA cart market is kinda saturated right now but the everdrive series is usually high compatibility so i'm interested. just hope it doesn't end up like my n8 which had the writable rom part stop working after a few months.

Hardly saturated there are only two carts left in production and both have compromises (EZ4 & Supercard). If the only compromise for the Everdrive is the size of it (rip for micro users like me) then it'll be the cart to get, waiting for games to load to NOR is incredibly irritating and I'll pay a premium to get around that.

garbanzox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From Krikzz.com forum:

Features
- All save types supported, no rom patching required
- 256Mbit PSRAM (32MByte)
- Fast Loading (Most games load within 1-2 seconds)
- Micro SD Support (SD up to 2GB, SDHC 4-32GB, SDXC 64GB+)
- Quick Boot Ability (skip most games gameboy boot screen)
- Real Time Clock Support
- Recently Played Game List
- Play Random Game Feature

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From Krikzz.com forum:

Features
- All save types supported, no rom patching required
- 256Mbit PSRAM (32MByte)
- Fast Loading (Most games load within 1-2 seconds)
- Micro SD Support (SD up to 2GB, SDHC 4-32GB, SDXC 64GB+)
- Quick Boot Ability (skip most games gameboy boot screen)
- Real Time Clock Support
- Recently Played Game List
- Play Random Game Feature
1-2 second game loading? That is insanity. That alone makes this sucker so worth the price of admission. The RTC helps too. And honestly I like that the cart looks like the Boktai Cart, I might even swap mine into an actual Boktai cart.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1-2 second game loading? That is insanity. That alone makes this sucker so worth the price of admission. The RTC helps too. And honestly I like that the cart looks like the Boktai Cart, I might even swap mine into an actual Boktai cart.
the loading times, for me, is really the only outstanding part (except for the card itself, kekekeke - making fun of the physical size again). if you have a flashcard already, i believe you wont gain much from "upgrading to an EDGBA. if you dont have a gba flashcard yet and dont mind paying the premium, i say go for the EDGBA.

your idea of using a boktai card, though: wou would do that? destroy a perfectly good game card so you can dremmel the SD Slot? 10/10: best idea ever - IGN

nah, dont do that. the card will come with its own properly designed shell, no need to sacrifice boktai here.

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally not having to use patch software and the RTC are the selling points for me. I absolutely hate EZ4's pc software.

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you guys checked the swap meet? I see $5 GBA's all the time. Not like new, but you can buy one of those glass screen covers and you're good to go.

I even got an ags101 for $25, which I think is pretty good.
Yeah, that doesn't count as a legitimate source as it depends fully on what the used video game market in your area is like. Like mine for example is dead. No one is selling any $5 GBAs in a 50 mile radius of my residence.

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the loading times, for me, is really the only outstanding part (except for the card itself, kekekeke - making fun of the physical size again). if you have a flashcard already, i believe you wont gain much from "upgrading to an EDGBA. if you dont have a gba flashcard yet and dont mind paying the premium, i say go for the EDGBA.

your idea of using a boktai card, though: wou would do that? destroy a perfectly good game card so you can dremmel the SD Slot? 10/10: best idea ever - IGN

nah, dont do that. the card will come with its own properly designed shell, no need to sacrifice boktai here.
Its ok. My copy of Boktai 2 Is broken anyway. I guess whether I use it or not depends on the build quality of the Everdrive. Although in my experience not a single thing about the everdrives seem cheap. Igor/krikzz makes damn quality products!

Now if only Rose Colored gaming would make a transparent GBA sp shell....my life would be complete.

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably going to hold out a few months for a new firmware version or potentially a hardware revision (everdrive n64 is already on v3, megadrive v2, super everdrive v2), but I'll almost definitely pick one up considering my attachment to the GBA. Granted the only product I own from Krikzz is an SD2SNES which isn't his design, but I'm still very much down. I just wish there was a way to get it to do GB(C) support, but there's no real good way to go about that, I suppose.

The power draw is supposed to be good, as well:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5139.0

Last edited by Hking0036,

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be flipping awesome, but I'm sure he wouldn't like the ED GBA to cannibalise the sales of his other flashcart :P
I'm sure that's true, but I still want to get an everdrive gb for my super Gameboy though. :P

It would probably be hard to integrate a physical switch in the cart for that and then deal with the voltage change is what I really meant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: okies :D put 'em here :O