EverDrive GB X Series Announced

zeEZFIl.png

KRIKzz, the creator of various Everdrive flashcarts and devices, has announced his latest work: The EverDrive GB X Series. The GB-X series differs from his previous Everdrive GB, offering some new features like PSRAM chips instead of flash, "Isolated RTC", a new OS, lower power consumption and various other features. There will be 3 GB X cards, The X7, the X5, and the X3, with the feature list for each below. The estimated release date for the cards is "middle-end of summer" according to KRIKzz. No price has been announced, but KRIKzz did say on Twitter that the X3 would be cheaper than the current Everdrive GB, with the X5 and X7 being a bit more expensive.

Features said:
Features list:
EverDrive-GB X7
-Max ROM size: 8MByte
-Max SAVE RAM size: 128KByte
-Save States function and In-Game menu function.
-Isolated RTC function. "Isolated" means that multiple games can use RTC without interference. Each game will have own copy of time.
-Instant loading.
-Low power consumption (approx 4x times less than original EverDrive-GB)
-GameGenie cheat codes
-Cart allow to return in menu without power off/on cycle.
-Supported mappers: MBC1, MBC2, MBC3, MBC5
-SDHC/SDXC support
-Compatible with all systems which supports GB and GBC cartridges, including Super Game Boy
-New OS. Now it more handy and fast. Supports up to 1000 files per folder.

EverDrive-GB X5
Same as X7 minus save states, in-game menu and RTC

EverDrive-GB X3
Same as X5 but rehired reboot in menu to save game progress stored in SRAM (Like Mega-X3 or ED64-V2.5)

:arrow: Source

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the best new feature is the lower power consumption. I use rechargeable batteries and my GB Pocket sometimes acts a bit wonky with the original ED GB, when the batteries get a little too low.

And you can say what you want about his prices, but it's a niche product and with the level of engineering that goes into it, they're kind of a steal if you prefer original hardware. I own every ED (well, the older versions of em) except the N8 because I have a PowerPak and I have no complaints. krikkz is also very attentive to his forums and email should you have any issues.

Dragoonhurdur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure why people are complaining about well engineered gear, frequently updated firmware, and near perfect compatibility.
For all that, you're going to have to fork out some mullah.

The N8 famicom cart is rockin'. FDS sound emulation is pretty good (to my taste, beats real disks on a sharp twin), and there's a user made mapper to get Sunsoft 5B sound on Gimmick.

For the price of a couple of Pokemans, Shantae, MGS:Ghost Babel, a Zelda or three, one could afford a number of EDGB X7s.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not into lsdj or Pokémon. I'm thinking I'll get the edgb, not the x series. The edgb price might drop a bit, because of the new release, and especially on Black Friday. 60$ edgb?

Scope

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
This is a great piece of novelty but using it to play it somewhat daily just wouldn't work for me due to the screen being black/green and without backlight. Heck, with an Android, PSP, DS Lite or w/e it can play Game Boy games as well yeah, it's not the original hardware but I don't care.

You are not limited to using the DMG model, instead you should use the Game Boy Advance SP AGS-101 model which has a beautiful backlit screen and numerous color choices (just like the Super Game Boy), with a support for both the GBC + GB and the Advance games!? Yes it's a little bit pricier, perhaps 60$+ but it's totally worth it! The DS Lite, while it has a decent emulator has issues with some games, especially the GB color ones. And while I can understand that this is not for everyone, it's still perhaps the BEST way to experience the nostalgia and the old GB classics the way they were meant to be played =)

About the X5 vs. X7:
I guess I shouldn't be bothered with the X7 model since I don't really care about Pokemon and save states?
And I am assuming that normal saving in games work, and you can have multiple saves at the same time?
Any other X7 perks that I might've missed?

Last edited by Scope,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM