Hacking Even SD card for EZFlash IV and AKAIO may cause some error in the Acekard?

Smklcs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello folks at GBAtemp. My question is the following. If I put the files from AKAIO and EZ Flash IV in the same SD card, such as ROMs and firmwares, can cause errors in my Acekard?

I'm doing this way and the DS freezes sometimes, even during the initial menu.

I await any response.

See you later.:)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't AKAIO use FAT32, not to mention support SDHC? The EZ4 tended to want FAT/FAT16 and as yet does not support SDHC (not that there are that many GBA games). I know things aren't the cheapest around you but try to pick up a SDHC, or at least a microSD you can dedicate, for the Acekard.

Equally we tend to suggest people do not use their EZ4 as an expansion pack of sorts. It can overwrite the loader and leave you with a bricked EZ4 (or one that only works with the expansion pack programs).

Smklcs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I guess I did not express myself well.

I have a single Micro SD available. I would like to know if I can use the same Micro SD for my Acekard and the EZFlash. This can cause a problem?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the Acekard/AKAIO supports FAT16 and your microSD is 2 gigabytes or less then yes you could have the EZ4 saver folder, plus a bunch of ROMs/homebrew/whatever that is patched to work with the EZ4 in folders, boot the EZ4 as normal and play it all.

These days I am not sure AKAIO still supports FAT16 (I recall some issues with larger games). The half alternative would be to use the EZ4 as an expansion pack (it has PSRAM and NOR like a 3 in 1) but we do not suggest that as many of the tools that do it have been known to randomly brick the EZ4.

I would really suggest you get another microSD, or better yet a miniSD if you have a GBA sized EZ4.

Smklcs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If the Acekard/AKAIO supports FAT16 and your microSD is 2 gigabytes or less then yes you could have the EZ4 saver folder, plus a bunch of ROMs/homebrew/whatever that is patched to work with the EZ4 in folders, boot the EZ4 as normal and play it all.

These days I am not sure AKAIO still supports FAT16 (I recall some issues with larger games). The half alternative would be to use the EZ4 as an expansion pack (it has PSRAM and NOR like a 3 in 1) but we do not suggest that as many of the tools that do it have been known to randomly brick the EZ4.

I would really suggest you get another microSD, or better yet a miniSD if you have a GBA sized EZ4.

Thank you for your attention FAST6191.
I think I will use Micro SD for each thing. A basic doubt. What better formatting Micro SD for the EZFlash and AKAIO / Acekard?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The EZ4 needs a FAT/FAT16 formatted card with a folder called "saver" on it (as long as it is FAT/FAT16 and has the folder "SAVER" on there it will boot and run). AKAIO does better with FAT32 and will need its skins/load files/whatever else it needs on it. I am not sure what folder AKAIO uses to store save games, even if it did use "saver" though you could just make sure your EZ4 files are named such that they would not conflict with AKAIO.

Smklcs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The EZ4 needs a FAT/FAT16 formatted card with a folder called "saver" on it (as long as it is FAT/FAT16 and has the folder "SAVER" on there it will boot and run). AKAIO does better with FAT32 and will need its skins/load files/whatever else it needs on it. I am not sure what folder AKAIO uses to store save games, even if it did use "saver" though you could just make sure your EZ4 files are named such that they would not conflict with AKAIO.

Ok, I get it.
GBA games will run well, but by the way, some DS games will be slow because this Micro SD is in FAT only :(

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBA games on the EZ4 run on the NOR and PSRAM chips that the EZ4 has. To this end it really does not matter if your ?SD card is slow, they tend not to do well with those old 64 megabyte things they used to put in old phones but otherwise it is fine.

DS games on most devices do pull directly from the SD card (a type of NAND chip usually), this makes them prone to slowdown (and worse) if you have slow/high latency chips. The only reasons FAT vs FAT32 should trouble things is when fragmentation comes into play or if bad drivers for FAT were written where there are good ones used in FAT32. If memory serves though the acekard saw a bug that AKAIO could not fix and thus everybody was suggested to use FAT32 (not to mention the rise of SDHC making it all but mandatory), however I am not sure my memory serves this day (trying to recall old changelogs when there were loads of flash carts and all the reasons for said changesis hard it seems).

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
GBA games on the EZ4 run on the NOR and PSRAM chips that the EZ4 has. To this end it really does not matter if your ?SD card is slow, they tend not to do well with those old 64 megabyte things they used to put in old phones but otherwise it is fine.

DS games on most devices do pull directly from the SD card (a type of NAND chip usually), this makes them prone to slowdown (and worse) if you have slow/high latency chips. The only reasons FAT vs FAT32 should trouble things is when fragmentation comes into play or if bad drivers for FAT were written where there are good ones used in FAT32. If memory serves though the acekard saw a bug that AKAIO could not fix and thus everybody was suggested to use FAT32 (not to mention the rise of SDHC making it all but mandatory), however I am not sure my memory serves this day (trying to recall old changelogs when there were loads of flash carts and all the reasons for said changesis hard it seems).

FAT16 has the same limitations as FAT32 for NDS games... AKAIO supports both and iirc it saves GBA saves to the same location as the rom with the name of the rom with .sav instead of .gba (or .gba.sav i think its optional).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls