Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Seeing that I'll be getting a 3DS (not XL) soon, I'm trying to gather some information on which models are most likely to have the 4.5 firmware on-board, preferably lower. The region of interest is Europe. I did quite a bit of Googling regarding the matter, here are my conclusions:
  • The Aqua Blue model has been discontinued in Europe in 2012, it's guaranteed to have a low enough firmware to run 3DS Mode flashcarts
  • The Flame/Flare Red model has been discontinued at an unknown date, it's hit and miss
  • The Cosmo Black model is still in circulation, another mystery
  • The Pearl Pink model does not interest me for obvious reasons
  • The Ice White model is still manufactured, mystery firmware to be expected
Now, my question is as follows - I'm asking you guys on any and all information regarding the issue. I know about the "Copyright 2012" check already, but assuming that checking the box would be impossible, what other tell-tale signs are there? Perhaps some of you bought one of those models recently and has insight as to what firmware was originally on-board? I really wouldn't want to end up with an incompatible system.

Thank you in advance for any and all tips!

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing that I'll be getting a 3DS (not XL) soon, I'm trying to gather some information on which models are most likely to have the 4.5 firmware on-board, preferably lower. The region of interest is Europe. I did quite a bit of Googling regarding the matter, here are my conclusions:
  • The Aqua Blue model has been discontinued in Europe in 2012, it's guaranteed to have a low enough firmware to run 3DS Mode flashcarts
  • The Flame/Flare Red model has been discontinued at an unknown date, it's hit and miss
  • The Cosmo Black model is still in circulation, another mystery
  • The Pearl Pink model does not interest me for obvious reasons
  • The Ice White model is still manufactured, mystery firmware to be expected
Now, my question is as follows - I'm asking you guys on any and all information regarding the issue. I know about the "Copyright 2012"check already, but assuming that checking the box would be impossible, what other tell-tale signs are there? Perhaps some of you bought one of those models recently and has insight as to what firmware was originally on-board? I really wouldn't want to end up with an incompatible system.

Thank you in advance for any and all tips!

1. You've mixed up the Aqua blue and the Flame red's discontinue date. The flame red was discontinued in 2012 and the Aqua is the one with the unknown date
  2. While the Pearl Pink seems "unappealing" to you, there is always the option of Re-shelling it. Shell 1. Shell 2 Shell 3
  3. There is also the option of buying special edition consoles manufactured before 2012. Off the top of the head are the Zelda and heroes of ruin 3DS although they are few in number.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its hard to tell. After rechecking i found out that Japan discontinued the red console in October 2012 (they always do it first). That means there's a good chance red (for NA and Europe) was discontinued sometime between October 2012 and March 2013 as Nintendo always does it 3-5 months later after Japan with all their consoles. Aqua blue was discontinued in Japan in May 2012 and then 5 months later in North America (Oct 2012) so Aqua blue should be safest as Eur and NA are pretty much identical when it comes to releases and discontinue dates. Europe released their 3DS consoles before or at the same time as North America (This holds true for the XL's as well) so the discontinue date should be around or before the same time. I think this is pretty safe to assume because earlier in the year both Europe and NA got new consoles in circulation that were only previously available as bundles (Ice White and Pussy Pearl Pink respectively) in February 2012. I believe Nintendo probably intended to discontinue red and aqua as far back as February 2012 so they rolled out a one last new color before eventually debuting the 3DS XL in July/Aug. Firmware 5.0 was released on Mar 26, 2013 so blue should be 99% - 100% safe.

If you want a 100% safe Flame red 3DS, buy the super mario 3d land bundle. Flame red is pretty much a toss up but since its been in circulation the longest, its pretty much 85+ percent chance u get a good one.

3DS colors and info

More info with discontinue dates

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s