Eurogamer reports that sources claim Nintendo will launch a SNES Classic

149259681143.jpg

Eurogamer, a site known for having accurately leaked the Nintendo Switch, then known as the NX, far before the actual reveal, now is making another big claim. According to multiple "sources" close to Nintendo and Eurogamer, likely the same ones who gave them the same insider Switch information, Nintendo will be releasing a Super Nintendo Classic/Mini later on during the Christmas season this year. This report follows last week's announcement that Nintendo would be discontinuing the NES Classic, which launched during the Christmas season of last year. Eurogamer also confirms that production has already started on them as well. Of course, this should still be taken with a grain of salt, but Eurogamer is almost always on-point with leaks, having confirmed the existence of a PS4 Slim, as well as having multiple game industry sources that have confirmed other hardware leaks before.

Nintendo will follow up its smash hit NES microconsole with a mini version of the SNES, sources close to the company have confirmed to Eurogamer.

The SNES mini (or, to continue Nintendo's official branding, likely the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System) is currently scheduled to launch in time for Christmas this year. Development of the device is already under way, our sources have indicated.

:arrow: Source

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yet another round of annoying people will be saying "why not get a pi 3 instead"?

They just don't get it. Nostalgia is more attractive than practicality :P

You mean discontinuing the cheaper hardware that allows easy pirating of NES and SNES games to make way for a $99 SNES system that only plays what it says it plays at a higher profit margin? Business model matters. They know what they're doing.
How about this: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...pberry-pi-3-and-retropie/?comments=1&unread=1

This rPI-based system you can build yourself and it costs around $100. It's unofficial (you need ROMs to make it work), but it will play many different systems, PSX on down. Also, mods are possible such as a wireless controller, if that's what you want. It's hard to work with and even setup - you need to know what you're doing. It's even better than NES mini as the save state function is a lot better than NES mini's native one.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just hope it uses the club ninty snes classic controllers it took me forever to collect enough stars for one and would love another without paying £50
Sadly TTX Tech screwed up theirs by using left analog instead of dpad.

D

Deleted User

i dont get why nintendo is making these mini systems to pander to peoples nostalgia when theyve had something to deliver classic games on their consoles for years; the virtual console

D

Deleted-355425

Not really bothered about nes games but i would be strait on the snes version!

SilverWah

CVS2 best game period.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If this is true then I'm so hyped for a SNES mini. I never grew up with a SNES but it would be so awesome to have a mini version with pre installed games!

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course they're launching a SNES Classic, easy money for Nintendo and people want them.

They need to make more this time so scalpers are a non factor, and leave it open to adding the rest of the rom set.

More eager for the 64 classic, I hope to see it within the year or 2 and again, be able to install the entire rom set with a hdmi image all for around £60

Reactions: Subtle Demise

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i wiil only get one if they do a n64 mini, srs n64 is the worst looking console by far on hd tvs, any game that doesnt have a hi rez mode and most dont , look awful, even older consoles look better than the n64.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But stuck with the horribly blurry/fuzzy signal on HDTVs, so....

Not exactly stuck. But an XRGB mini Framemeister is $$$. You need more than one retro system before that expense can be justified IMHO. I finally broke down and bought one since my old Trinitron is on the fritz, and I don't know why I waited so long - it's awesome. But I've got a bunch of old consoles and most of my gaming on a TV is 1986-2006 vintage.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snes had some really good 2 player games. If it comes, here's hoping they give 2 controllers. If not, then a slew of jrpgs to make up for it.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same people that mentioned Pokemon Stars, yeah, no, I'm pure atheist when it comes to that. An SNES Classic came off as inevitable to me after the success of the NES one, these people reporting it is just a "Duh it's coming" moment.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If they do come out with this, please, please let us get the European/Japanese version instead of the ugly USA version in the US. I grew up with the ugly boxy SNES and was always envious of the Japanese SFC/European SNES.
I feel the opposite, but I love the pal controllers better with the multi colored ABXY buttons.

Reactions: daxtsu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Chrono Trigger