Eurogamer reports that sources claim Nintendo will launch a SNES Classic

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 19, 2017.

1. slaphappygamer

Member slaphappygamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I can smell the scalpers drooling already. Seriously though, it's be cheaper to just buy the original snes and a flash cart. You'd even have light gun support and all that.

Last edited by slaphappygamer, Apr 19, 2017

2. GBA rocks

Member GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    I don't get the emulator/rpi3 argument, I miss one piece of the equation: in terms of pure software and fidelity (no extra features), which is better between

- the made-from-scratch NES emulator developed by Nintendo R&D team in Paris (used in the NES Classic and probably in Switch NES VC when/if it launches)

- the NES emulators available on rpi and PCs

And again the same question for the SNES mini, if they go with the made-from-scratch emulator route again.

I don't care for the nostalgia but I'm all for paying nintendo for brand new (as in, better than wii/wiiU VC) official emulation software, with a nice GUI too.

I must preface I haven't followed the NES Classic discussions much.

So, which is better?
    Aren't official emulators supposed to be better coming from the same source of the actual consoles?

Anyway, on another note, it must be a licensing nightmare to re-release some of these games. Maybe even with limits on the number of consoles sold.

3. tech3475

Member tech3475 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    They never released that outside of the US, EU only had the better looking JP version.

Likely they'll call it the SNES Classic Ultra Super Good Luck Finding One Thanks Scalpers Limited Edition.

4. Sheimi

Member Sheimi A cute Vixen!

United States
    Huh, I seen a couple US Units unless it was counterfeit models. My cousin did own a mini snes.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    By most accounts the NES emulation on the NES mini was sub par (the audio was being trashed from the early videos) and they do at least have vaguely decent NES emulators already made in house. SNES emulators are noted as being somewhat harder to get right (mappers are one thing, all the special chips and coprocessors another) and most of their SNES efforts leave a bit to be desired.

Of course I imagine people will pay good money for what everybody else was doing for less, and can do now, for reasons I am never quite sure about.

Re: the N64. Why? It was a failed console, is notably hard to emulate or replicate and the games have not aged well at all. If they were going to radically redo things and give it full AA and post processing then maybe I could be tempted, however this is Nintendo we are talking about.

Artificial demand is fine, a bit anti consumer but play the game hey. The trouble seems to be Nintendo not following through on it. If they want to make their support of the second hand market so spectacular (most people just release a press statement or something) then I am all for it but I don't think they do.

Subtle Demise, DinohScene and finkmac like this.
  6. BlueFox gui

Member BlueFox gui GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    another thing to waste money ¬¬

7. tech3475

United Kingdom
  8. Retroboy

Member Retroboy GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    and will create a hype then stop product putting fans subjected to extortionate prices from collectors.

personally i didnt see the hype about the mini nes when your forced to only play (which is rather ironic) games that nintendo tell you to.

i thought it would have made sense that it was a mini nes with an adapter to play any nes games or buy them digitally.

what would be ideal is a multi console that will play a back catalogue of nintendo consoles games

9. Saiyan Lusitano

Member Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Yeah, I honestly can't stand the purple-y Lego-y American/Canadian SNES it just looks like a bad Chinese ripoff of the original SNES (European/Japanese). I know that those who grew up with the purple SNES will say they love it and I get that but artistically and visually it's just not very appealing, imo.

If the Classic SNES Mini becomes a reality and probably will, the European version will likely be far more popular due to its design over the American one.

[​IMG]

I'll say though, in terms of performance the Japanese and American/Canadian SNES were much better than the European edition since they didn't suffer from the PAL issue.

daxtsu likes this.
  10. wurstpistole

Member wurstpistole N3DS A9LH

Germany
    Nice. I'll preorder 5 and sell with profit. Don't need it, have a Raspi.

11. tech3475

United Kingdom
    I'd be surprised if a SNES Classic suffered from that (no excuse really).

That said, at the time I just lived with it (ignorance was bliss).

I only found out about the issue when I got Sega Mega Collection for the Gamecube and put it into 60Hz mode (because Higher was better ;) ) only to find Sonic 1 sounded faster.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  12. DinohScene

Member DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica

I have a hard time playing games in 60 Hz, mostly because the audio is sped up.

Having played the original NES for years in 50 Hz cus yay Europe makes the sped up audio of the NES mini horrible and kills the nostalgic feel.
    It's such a shame Nintendo didn't include a 50/60 Hz toggle.

13. Saiyan Lusitano

Portugal
    Have to admit when I play Sonic 1 on NTSC it just feels weird and all sorts of wrong because that's now how I remember the game being like back in the days, but that's actually the proper version which PAL gamers should've gotten too. :P

DrkBeam and tech3475 like this.
  14. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Oh man, I hope this is real, to be honest, I didn't grow up with the NES, but the Snes was my first ever console experience back in 1993; naturally, this has a special place in my heart :P

15. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Interesting. I might buy one just cuz if this turns out to be true. SNES is still probably my favorite console. Tons of awesome games that stand up even today...unlike the NES.

Not the end of the world if i don't get one, though. Which I probably wont thanks to scalpers.

16. GBA rocks

Ireland
    By the way I got me one of these from ebay a couple of years ago

[​IMG]

Wonder if the emulator in the "SNES Classic" will one-up the emulator inside Wii VC snes titles in terms of quality...

17. swabbo

Member swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

United Kingdom
    N64 Classic 2019 confirmed? ^_^

18. Saiyan Lusitano

Portugal
    I'll give you 5 euros for that with delivery included. You up for it?

19. GBA rocks

Ireland
    The offer is tempting B-) but I need it to play Axelay when the itch comes.

20. petethepug

Member petethepug PUG

United States
    What about the Wii Classic? :P
    Or is that already a thing?