Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, don't kid yourself. I'm not trying to flame, but you seriously have to wait a little while. All I can think of now are Resistance, Motorstorm, Sigma, and that's about it. Maybe Warhawk as well.

Are you saying that wii has so many great games that it has to have essential list?
biggrin.gif

EDIT: oh wait, wii doesn't have essential list. Just assumed that there is one.
frown.gif
Was that a joke? >_>

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=48431

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well i'm a huge fan of the final fantasy series so im going to buy it on release, as for that bladestorm game, i cannot stand the dynasty warriors series, it's just the same game over and over, even that gundam demo i tried was exactly like the bladestrom demo but with robots 0_o
12 battle system was just... After FF7CC, 13 battle system looks quite promising.
Warrior series no-brainer button mashing is fun at times. Just, TOO DAMN REPETETIVE. DW6 claims to have changed by a lot, especially the fighting system. If I don't feel that way I might boycott Warriors games by myself.

And for Sakaguchi, I self-taught Japanese to play his Final Fantasies, I consider random encounters a branch in RPG game style than technical limitations. Turn based (Well FF are not really turn based any more) RPGs easily one of my favorite genres, the first game I play on my 360 will be one of his games. Maybe I'm too nostalgic, but after so many FFs my top 2 FFs are still both Sakaguchi's work.
But SquareEnix is riding the flow into the border between traditional JRPG and action RPGs, so I have to accept that and change too.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
12 battle system was just... After FF7CC, 13 battle system looks quite promising.
Warrior series no-brainer button mashing is fun at times. Just, TOO DAMN REPETETIVE. DW6 claims to have changed by a lot, especially the fighting system. If I don't feel that way I might boycott Warriors games by myself.

And for Sakaguchi, I self-taught Japanese to play his Final Fantasies, I consider random encounters a branch in RPG game style than technical limitations. Turn based (Well FF are not really turn based any more) RPGs easily one of my favorite genres, the first game I play on my 360 will be one of his games. Maybe I'm too nostalgic, but after so many FFs my top 2 FFs are still both Sakaguchi's work.
But SquareEnix is riding the flow into the border between traditional JRPG and action RPGs, so I have to accept that and change too.

yeah i like mindless button bashing myself lol but the trouble with dynasty warriors is that it's very very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over, there is no feeling of enjoyment or being interested in the game at all, every ps2 dynasty warriors game has been the exact same, nothing has changed, so far all the dynasty warriors games that have been released on the ps3 are surprise surprise, the same!

as for final fantasy, i like turned based myself but the random battles do seem to get annoying after a while, far to frequent, i like action based rpgs better like boktai the sun is in your hands, dark cloud, folklore, kingdom hearts and so on, only the classic final fantasy were enjoyable in terms of gameplay and they even had their random battle annoyances (ffvii)

Agreed. Especially as Killzone 2 has a very good chance of sucking so very badly (I seem to remember Killzone 1 looked amazing, but played like crap)

yeah i felt the same when i first heard about killzone on the ps2, way too much hype and i believed in the hype and brought the game on release, the game was fairly enjoyable online though, now killzone 2 looks promising and i love what i have seen so far, i really do hope it's diffrent gameplay wise.

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone mentioning UNRELEASED games in an Essentials topic as serious possibilities for the list is an idiot, TBH.

I don't see any unreleased games in this list.
If you're referring to the spoiler box, it says "Upcoming Games" in the title, not "Upcoming Essential Games" there's no such bullshit in the world. And I even used a spoiler box to prevent people from thinking they're essentials.
Apparently you're not reading my posts regarding blind votes. I thought I mentioned it every other post.

Anyway, KillZone 2 is just a fanboy hype plus developers bluff, Haze and UT3 will be much better than KZ2 no doubt. Would I be looking forward to KZ2 when I never even heard of KZ1 before fanboys pushing KZ2, no way. what a waste of breath. The only game footage i saw was couple minutes on E3, no update ever since as far as I remember.

I have to say it's nice to make Essential lists on GBATemp, anywhere else the list can be easily sabotaged by PS3 fanboys, misleading benevolent PS3 owners into buying some games they created hype for.

jalanemei like action based rpgs better like boktai the sun is in your hands, dark cloud, folklore, kingdom hearts and so on, only the classic final fantasy were enjoyable in terms of gameplay and they even had their random battle annoyances (ffvii)
Guess what, my favorite genres are RPGs and actions, naturally I fell in love with action RPGs too =D I guess it all started with Sword of Mana 2. Zelda on NES wasn't my style game so.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good thread.

more and more decent PS3 games will be coming out and if I get one I'll be checking this thread.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anyone mentioning UNRELEASED games in an Essentials topic as serious possibilities for the list is an idiot, TBH.

I don't see any unreleased games in this list.
If you're referring to the spoiler box, it says "Upcoming Games" in the title, not "Upcoming Essential Games" there's no such bullshit in the world. And I even used a spoiler box to prevent people from thinking they're essentials.
Apparently you're not reading my posts regarding blind votes. I thought I mentioned it every other post.

Anyway, KillZone 2 is just a fanboy hype plus developers bluff, Haze and UT3 will be much better than KZ2 no doubt. Would I be looking forward to KZ2 when I never even heard of KZ1 before fanboys pushing KZ2, no way. what a waste of breath. The only game footage i saw was couple minutes on E3, no update ever since as far as I remember.

I have to say it's nice to make Essential lists on GBATemp, anywhere else the list can be easily sabotaged by PS3 fanboys, misleading benevolent PS3 owners into buying some games they created hype for.

jalaneme said:
i like action based rpgs better like boktai the sun is in your hands, dark cloud, folklore, kingdom hearts and so on, only the classic final fantasy were enjoyable in terms of gameplay and they even had their random battle annoyances (ffvii)
Guess what, my favorite genres are RPGs and actions, naturally I fell in love with action RPGs too =D I guess it all started with Sword of Mana 2. Zelda on NES wasn't my style game so.

I've heard you'll be able to use a keyboard and mouse with UT3 which will be amazing. A console with controls that good will be so awesome. I'll probably end up getting one once they come down in price instead of upgrading my computer.

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've heard you'll be able to use a keyboard and mouse with UT3 which will be amazing. A console with controls that good will be so awesome. I'll probably end up getting one once they come down in price instead of upgrading my computer.

PS3 version UT3 has been pushed back to Spring 2008. I'll be grabbing the PC version instead.
I'm not sure if you'll be able to use keyboard and mouse to "control" in-game.
Resistance supported USB keyboard and mouse, but they were for chatting only, you still have to play with game controller.

Sony will probably freak out "OMGWTF we have to sell our insanely stocked Sixaxis controllers before Dualshock 3 is released, no mouse support please!" or something.

I really hope future FPS games support mouse controls, otherwise I won't be buying many.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

all the zeldas in the series are action adventures, most people always mistake them as rpgs, but it's not. sword of mana is a good example of a action rpg, shining soul is another one.

gamez2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is Heavenly Sword as boring as it looks, a nice looking girl + awesome graphics do not make a game, the nintendo wii is proof.

gameplay is everything, from the video demos it looks like a slash, slash, stab, stab game that gets repetative.

one game that looks awesome is motorstorm
smile.gif

I will only buy a ps3 when a final fantasy game is a exclusive to it.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I will only buy a ps3 when a final fantasy game is a exclusive to it.

that'll be sometime next year. better start saving
wink.gif

how is the nintendo wii proof? of course a nice girl and nice graphics don't make a good game but metroid was good and it has awesome graphics. Zelda was ok too and smash bros and mario will be good. apart from those I'm very disappointed with the game lineup on the wii, I'd prefer a PS3.

edit: I take it back, smash bros and mario are worth owning a Wii for
tongue.gif
no trades

/offtopic

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Is Heavenly Sword as boring as it looks, a nice looking girl + awesome graphics do not make a game, the nintendo wii is proof.

gameplay is everything, from the video demos it looks like a slash, slash, stab, stab game that gets repetative.

I don't vote games by looking at videos, I'm on my third playthrough on Hell Mode and still enjoying it. If you're into mixing combos it won't be repetetive. I assume Westerners are not into sword actions as much as FPS, judging by magazine reviewers scores, with a very few number of exceptions, guns >>>> bladed weapons.

jalanemeall the zeldas in the series are action adventures, most people always mistake them as rpgs, but it's not. sword of mana is a good example of a action rpg, shining soul is another one.

I fail to see the distinguish line, I guess a game that throws into the wild and make you explore to figure out where to go game is adventure, and more straightforward map design with character buildup is RPG.
I gave up trying to categorize games after rush of combined genre games =(

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Add Guitar Hero III and Rock Band to the list. They are definite owns for the hardcore music gamer
smile.gif

Apparently Future Shop starts shipping Guitar Hero III on the 21st, yet other places say it's not coming till the 28th... here's to hoping that I get it before the 28th
biggrin.gif

Then I can get all Guitar Hero'd until Rock Band comes out... then I'll have the two ultimate music games
biggrin.gif
Those damn guitars better be cross compatible though!!

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hehe, I'll consider your votes when you get the games and still feel they're awesome
biggrin.gif

Played Ratchet and Clank demo twice, cool demo, I wasn't gonna buy/rent it but after playing the demo I'm all in for buy.
On the other hand, Conan was "Barbarian of War" it reminded me a lot of God of War and 300 (dismemberments, some attacks are always slow motion even if you do it in the air -WTF- combo purchasing system) I'm gonna play it just because I'm an action game hardcore fan, but won't buy it =(

Let's see if Ratchet was only-demo-good game or is actually Essentials, I think I can beat it by Nov 4th =D I'll give an update around then.

P.S.
[title:I'm a rhythm game fan too!] Beatmania, Beatmania IIDX, EZ2DJ, DJMAX, O2JAM, Taiko no Tatsujin, EBA/OTO, etc.
I really want Beatmania IIDX 1-13 complete and Taiko 1-11 complete pack on PS3, I bet they can fit in BD. 11 PS2 discs in one isn't 4.7 * 11, instead take out overlapping songs, game engines, and it'll end up being 20 GB ish.
Because PS2 version of IIDX and Taiko are Japanese only (except a crap compilation of one IIDX was released) I need to get the controllers separately which costs a lot.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You might want to add ratchet and clank to the must have list.

# GameTap (100/100): "It's rare that a game critic feels the way I do about this game, but in all honesty, I find it really difficult to find something that's not to like. The controls feel great. The graphics look great. The score sounds great. The weapon selection alone make me want to play the game over and over again, just to test out all the cool offered. And that's that's what happens when a smart development team has spent a long time imagining a game like this. It's obvious they've accomplished feats here that they've probably been wanting to do for a long time."

# Game Informer (93/100): "You know how we always say that it's not enough to make a prettier version of a last-generation title – that you really need to offer us something that wasn't possible five years ago? Well, leave it to Insomniac to make me a liar. Because, in all reality, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction sticks extremely close to the formula that made the series one of the PS2's best. There's not much here I haven't seen before. But I don't care, and neither will you, because this is an adventure packed to the brim with vivid characters, amazing gameplay, and heartfelt humor. In a way, it's the ultimate in video game comfort food – a familiar old favorite for those times when you're hungry for nothing but an expertly crafted good time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: