Gaming Eshop zip code

ThanksLori

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I bought a 20$ eshop card, tried to buy rocket league but I was short because of taxes so I changed my zip, is there any downsides to this? Can it get me in trouble?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
unless they figured it out by ip, which I don't really get why they don't do that, though even that could be circumvented with a vpn
They're not going to go off of IP, that'd be stupid. My Hotspot puts me in CO, even though I'm not.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah location identification by up address is too spotty to be enforced. My parents ip address puts them in a whole different province.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait so the zip code calculates tax? I thought it was some other reason.:unsure:
You're charged the same state-decided sales tax for online purchases as you are in a brick and mortar store. Each state has different rates. Oregon, for example, has no sales tax. When you buy something online, sales tax is calculated according to the address or zip code you gave them (that's why they ask for it). Some stores like Amazon have ways of confirming your actual address so you can't cheat sales tax, but the eShop has no such thing so you can set your zip code to a tax-free region.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're charged the same state-decided sales tax for online purchases as you are in a brick and mortar store. Each state has different rates. Oregon, for example, has no sales tax. When you buy something online, sales tax is calculated according to the address or zip code you gave them (that's why they ask for it). Some stores like Amazon have ways of confirming your actual address so you can't cheat sales tax, but the eShop has no such thing so you can set your zip code to a tax-free region.
Still I don't ever notice Steam or playstation store asking for tax and they also require you to insert a billing address for the credit card you wish to use. What makes eshop so different? Makes me wish they went back to wii points. :unsure:

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Still I don't ever notice Steam or playstation store asking for tax and they also require you to insert a billing address for the credit card you wish to use. What makes eshop so different? Makes me wish they went back to wii points. :unsure:
Wait, you're never charged tax on Steam or the PlayStation Store? I always pay tax on Steam. They do confirm your address to calculate sales tax. Maybe your address is set to somewhere without sales tax? Are you sure you're not being charged for tax?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, you're never charged tax on Steam or the PlayStation Store? I always pay tax on Steam. They do confirm your address to calculate sales tax. Maybe your address is set to somewhere without sales tax? Are you sure you're not being charged for tax?
None of my purchases has been tax added. I use my legit address as well.

upload_2017-12-17_21-7-27.png

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really weird. Here's an old purchase of mine, with around 9% sales tax added to the total.

8cfccd8e730146d548ec662c5b7647b1.png

Are you charged sales tax on Amazon or any other online marketplaces?
I don't use amazon, but usually I avoid paying a tax or shipping from sites like ebay, but no, sites like best buy do indeed calculate tax. Is just PSN and steam that has not.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't use amazon, but usually I avoid paying a tax or shipping from sites like ebay, but no, sites like best buy do indeed calculate tax. Is just PSN and steam that has not.
Weird. You live in New York, yeah? They're not a sales tax-free state, after all. Oh well, lucky you I guess!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird. You live in New York, yeah? They're not a sales tax-free state, after all. Oh well, lucky you I guess!
No is a weird state that worships a BIG APPLE and home to some famous heros like BATMAN, SPIDER MAN and The ninja turtle, even with that, crime is stil a all time high and so is prices for many things like bus/trains gas and even video game taxes. :ninja:

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
No is a weird state that worships a BIG APPLE and home to some famous heros like BATMAN, SPIDER MAN and The ninja turtle, even with that, crime is stil a all time high and so is prices for many things like bus/trains gas and even video game taxes. :ninja:
Yeesh. Crime and apple-worshipping aside, I feel your pain with high commodity prices. Seattle's honestly no better.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeesh. Crime and apple-worshipping aside, I feel your pain with high commodity prices. Seattle's honestly no better.
Well I was more curious why I wasn't charged tax on PSN or Steam. I guess maybe it should be a tax but just no one fixed it? Kinda wish nintendo went back to points now. (Doubt it would fix tax but i hope it does)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.