eShop policies revealed (No minimum sales threashold)

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Unlike WiiWare, royalties to developers are not held until a certain sales threshold is reached.

Games published for Nintendo's DSiWare and eShop services are not required to reach a sales threshold before royalties can be paid to the developer. This is in contrast to WiiWare, for which a minimum number of downloads must be reached before royalties are released.

We spoke to Nic Watt, creative director of Nnooo, recently about their download titles. He told us that since WiiWare games require server support and uniformity testing for all titles, regardless of how well they sell, this is partly a measure to recoup costs. Whilst a final specification for Nintendo 3DS was not available, the eShop is thought to have the same policy as for DSiWare and as of now we don't know of any sales limit for 3DS downloads.

Our full interview will be up shortly.[/p]
icon11.gif
Via
icon11.gif
Source

If anyone is wondering for WiiWare the sales must be "3k units for PAL / 6k units for NTSC for 40Mb games, and 2k units for PAL / 4k units for NTSC for 16Mb games." before they get paid by Nintendo.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Tanveer said:
So stuff had to be sold/downloaded by a certain amount before Nintendo paid them?
I bet a lot of developers just got along empty handed...
Yup if they did barely get over the sales required, it wasn't enough for them to profit.
Plus if they don't get the sales within two years then they don't get anything at all.
http://www.icongames.com/?p=1793

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So it's more profitable now, than it was before? Cool for the developers, they deserve it. Knowing those numbers and reading that link you gave us prowler_ made me feel bad for pirating that Driift Mania WiiWare game. That was so much fun in multiplayer, I don't know how much it sold but the developers deserved some real profit.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Doesn't this mean more shitty games will try to be entered?
frown.gif
For all we know, this could be a good thing for devs who were un-interested in the WiiShop because they had the possibility of not getting profit.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tanveer said:
So stuff had to be sold/downloaded by a certain amount before Nintendo paid them?
I bet a lot of developers just got along empty handed...
Seeing as how many shit titles are on the eShop already, none of them will get much money out of it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
So it's more profitable now, than it was before? Cool for the developers, they deserve it. Knowing those numbers and reading that link you gave us prowler_ made me feel bad for pirating that Driift Mania WiiWare game. That was so much fun in multiplayer, I don't know how much it sold but the developers deserved some real profit.
It's cool for us too, because of this it will give devs a larger incentive to make games for the e-shop.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Rydian said:
Doesn't this mean more shitty games will try to be entered?
frown.gif
For all we know, this could be a good thing for devs who were un-interested in the WiiShop because they had the possibility of not getting profit.

Although it's still a double edged sword of Rydian's point and yours.

But I don't see what's wrong with a double edged sword. It's a sword. With two edges.

D

Deleted_171835

To be frank, they should have done this from the beginning.

Anyways, I wish Nintendo would remove some of the restrictions on the eShop. For some reason, Nintendo doesn't allow developers to release a Skype or Youtube app. Personally, I don't see why they wouldn't allow that as an application of that sort will result in quite a bit of profit.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
Nintendo doesn't allow developers to release a Skype or Youtube app.

Skype is also now owned by Microsoft and Youtube is owned by Google, both of which can be seen in someway as a Nintendo competitor (Microsoft has the Xbox line and now Windows Phone, Google has Android). Most likely we'd want an official app for both and it's up to them to release it.

D

Deleted_171835

Guild McCommunist said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Nintendo doesn't allow developers to release a Skype or Youtube app.
Skype is also now owned by Microsoft and Youtube is owned by Google, both of which can be seen in someway as a Nintendo competitor (Microsoft has the Xbox line and now Windows Phone, Google has Android). Most likely we'd want an official app for both and it's up to them to release it.
Almost every other platform that has an app-store has a Youtube or Skype app. And most of those apps weren't even made by Google or Microsoft. They were unofficial apps. Microsoft and Google didn't seem to have a problem with that.
Anyways, if an app of that sort were to be released, it wouldn't be competing with anything. Nintendo doesn't have a (proper) video-streaming service or a video calling application.

Nintendo is just being ridiculously incompetent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended