Gaming eShop Media Player

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder why it is that Nintendo has not updated the Wii U's firmware to allow for Fat32 formatted drives to be allowed without the request to format. Formatting should be tucked away in the settings menu.
Meanwhile they could develop a free or at least cheap Media app for the eShop. Something that will support many movie and audio formats. If there is one thing that I can give Sony and Microsoft credit for, it's doing something like that.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
A Media Player would be nice. Might just be because no one's gotten around to making one ... OR just because any time you make something to open whatever file the user gives you, you have to be very careful that there's no way that file can be used to exploit something.

And without a media player available, the only other reason someone would be plugging a FAT32 formatted drive into the Wii U is for homebrew ... and they're just not all that happy about making it any easier for us.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unless Nintendo decides to make eShop media player for free, they'd have to pay for licensing fee on numerous video/audio codecs. Given how Nintendo purposely use proprietary disc format just to avoid paying licensing fee associated to Blu-ray, I don't see it happening with Nintendo.

And without media player, there is no reason to support FAT32. Nintendo uses proprietary partition for a reason, to stop homebrew and piracy.

Reactions: Nightwish

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol