Epic Mickey 2 3DS is a follow-up to Mega Drive game Castle of Illusion

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I have to be honest and say the world of gaming is sorrowfully lacking in good 2d platformers, there's just something about this article that reeks of wrong. To start (and I thought it immediately), it's the April issue - a HUGE number of magazines, and websites, and basically everything else, do April Fools' Day pranks. Secondly, the graphics look more than just lifted out of a 16-bit game, they look pasted together from several. I've got friends who work with sprites in different mediums, and this, frankly, just looks like a good sprite comic page.
Also consider one of the things they're touting as "great" the 3D effect from parallax scrolling, as if it's some major breakthrough.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but until April 2nd, I'm calling this one as a hoax.

Most magazines would say inside the issue somewhere that it would be a joke otherwise they'll piss a lot of people off.

Even if it was a joke...its a pretty shit one at that.
Agreed. I definitely don't think this is a joke and i'm totally looking forward to this.

I'm still surprised that someone else got their April issue of NP and i haven't. :( Hopefully tomorrow it will come.

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, Nintendo Power has definitely done April Fools' jokes. For reference: http://www.ugo.com/web-culture/april-fools-day-ocarina-of-time-triforce
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Mario_64_DS (scroll down to Waluigi April Fools' Day Joke)
And then you have Nintendo Power's March issue saying this:
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/02/22/nintendo-power-will-reveal-top-secret-game-next-month/
“There will be no fooling around when it comes to our April issue." with reference to the "secret game being talked about in the April Issue - which to me, SCREAMS April Fools' Day Prank.

As far as the screens never being seen before, for one, they're 2d, and any good 2d artist can throw them together rather easily. Secondly, as the first link above shows, NP is definitely willing to go out of their way to create highly detailed screens for their pranks. Third, I've definitely seen several of the elements in those screenshots in other games, namely Scrooge McDuck, Peter Pan, and the Beast, all look pulled straight out of games from the Super Nintendo throwbacks. Also, the little helmet guys... can't place them, but I do remember seeing them before, as well as the large spiked block with the Duck Tales reminiscent face on it.
Now, I'm not saying that Nintendo couldn't be pulling all these ideas together from previous games, but I AM saying, they look like direct pixel for pixel rips FROM those games.
And magazines don't typically say that an article IS a joke in that magazine... the big reveal comes in the next magazine. Happens all the time.

April Fools' Day Prank - I'm still screaming it.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Okay, Nintendo Power has definitely done April Fools' jokes. For reference: http://www.ugo.com/w...f-time-triforce
http://nintendo.wiki...per_Mario_64_DS (scroll down to Waluigi April Fools' Day Joke)
And then you have Nintendo Power's March issue saying this:
http://mynintendonew...ame-next-month/
“There will be no fooling around when it comes to our April issue." with reference to the "secret game being talked about in the April Issue - which to me, SCREAMS April Fools' Day Prank.

As far as the screens never being seen before, for one, they're 2d, and any good 2d artist can throw them together rather easily. Secondly, as the first link above shows, NP is definitely willing to go out of their way to create highly detailed screens for their pranks. Third, I've definitely seen several of the elements in those screenshots in other games, namely Scrooge McDuck, Peter Pan, and the Beast, all look pulled straight out of games from the Super Nintendo throwbacks. Also, the little helmet guys... can't place them, but I do remember seeing them before, as well as the large spiked block with the Duck Tales reminiscent face on it.
Now, I'm not saying that Nintendo couldn't be pulling all these ideas together from previous games, but I AM saying, they look like direct pixel for pixel rips FROM those games.
And magazines don't typically say that an article IS a joke in that magazine... the big reveal comes in the next magazine. Happens all the time.

April Fools' Day Prank - I'm still screaming it.

The game is not real? O.o

wtf, seriously?

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like major paranoia....i know april is coming up and all but getting jumpy over screenshots due to an artstyle used...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Warren Spector has made his love for Disney's history pretty clear; this sounds like it fits the bill. Here's hoping it all comes together.
Never read his comics though, the Duck Tales one he did was awful.

Ouch. To be fair, that isn't too uncommon when an artist tries working in a different medium.

Was it at least an interesting failure, or just... bad?
Just really bad, its like a child wrote it.

I just read it out of curiosity, its just done very poorly and the plot is really badly put together. Its as if he sat down without any ideas and just wrote it in 10 minutes and said "yeah I'm done".

Reactions: 1 person

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet. Castle of Illusion was the best platformer on the Genesis. Too bad not of the followups ever lived up to it. Hope this new one does. (also cool that a 2D game is coming on the 3DS, I feared this would never happen.

edit:oh fuck, I hope this isn't april fools prank

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like major paranoia....i know april is coming up and all but getting jumpy over screenshots due to an artstyle used...
Just to clarify, this is not paranoia based on screenshots AT ALL. IF paranoia (which I'll grant it may be, as my rabid reaction to this is), it's based on a LOT of given evidence, not the least of which is the timing. The phrase used in the March issue goes a long way to suggest that, plus the history of Nintendo Power and other gaming mags using the April issue to do these jokes.

As far as the screenshots themselves - look for yourself. There are a few shown, and the art style between the few that have been shown is drastically different. Between one screen where you see Mickey jumping around on a clearly rectangular platform level, to another with him standing at the top of a staircase, looking off to a boat - the actual visual design is far more organic. There's inconsistency to what's being shown suggesting, yet again, that this is hacked together from other games, and perhaps embellished a bit to "add authenticity." Until the may issue comes out on this, I don't think we'll have a real answer as to whether it's real or not, but I'm still going to remain a healthy skeptic on this one.

Lijik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify, this is not paranoia based on screenshots AT ALL. IF paranoia (which I'll grant it may be, as my rabid reaction to this is), it's based on a LOT of given evidence, not the least of which is the timing. The phrase used in the March issue goes a long way to suggest that, plus the history of Nintendo Power and other gaming mags using the April issue to do these jokes.

As far as the screenshots themselves - look for yourself. There are a few shown, and the art style between the few that have been shown is drastically different. Between one screen where you see Mickey jumping around on a clearly rectangular platform level, to another with him standing at the top of a staircase, looking off to a boat - the actual visual design is far more organic. There's inconsistency to what's being shown suggesting, yet again, that this is hacked together from other games, and perhaps embellished a bit to "add authenticity." Until the may issue comes out on this, I don't think we'll have a real answer as to whether it's real or not, but I'm still going to remain a healthy skeptic on this one.
Hi, I was linked here from another forum and I think you're being overly paranoid. For starters, I think its pretty clear the screenshot with the boat you're talking about is concept art. Next, you talk about there being past april fools jokes in NP which is true. But tell me, when have those joke articles ever been a cover story? I certainly cant think of a single time any of those were advertised right on the cover.
You also seem pretty convinced that the sprites were ripped from other games, but what possible games could they have been ripped from? Scrooge and Peter Pan never appeared on the SNES or Megadrive. While there was a Beauty and the Beast game, it doesn't take a rocket scientest to tell the character sprite in that game and the one shown in the NP article are different.
Finally how does Warren Spector talking a bit about the 3DS game and using it to factor into the tally of people who worked on EM2 overall in this eurogamer article factor into your idea that this is all a hoax by Nintendo Power? Eurogamer and Warren Spector would both have to be in on the joke which sounds kind of insane.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.