Epic Mickey 2 3DS is a follow-up to Mega Drive game Castle of Illusion

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Mar 27, 2012.

Mar 27, 2012

heartgold New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    [IMG]

2010's Epic Mickey was an action-adventure/platforming game that made enough of an impression on the Wii to warrant not one, but two sequels: Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Two for the Wii, and Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, which is coming to the Nintendo 3DS.

The April 2012 issue of Nintendo Power has detailed previews for both games, so if you're a fan of the Mickster, you'll want to pick it up. Here's a summary of what's coming to the Nintendo 3DS. It's intriguing stuff!

Power of Illusion is being put together by DreamRift, the studio behind 2011's Monster Tale for the Nintendo DS. The game, which is its own side-scrolling, platforming title (instead of a mere port of The Power of Two), is a follow-up to Epic Mickey, but more interestingly, it's also a follow-up toCastle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, a 1990 game for the Sega Genesis!

Power of Illusion will make heavy use of the Nintendo 3DS's stylus. By tapping the item icons exist in every level, you'll be able to "paint" (trace) those items into existence, including cliffs, cannons, and floating platforms. The more precisely you trace, the better for Mickey. A flawlessly-painted canon will only damage Mickey's enemies, for instance, but if you mess up the painting, the canon will be a danger to everyone in the area.

Sometimes you'll need to erase objects, which is done by spreading thinner. Again, the stylus comes into play here.

The hand-drawn sprites in Power of Illusion are extremely compelling, and, thanks to scrolling parallax backgrounds (a heavily-used graphic technique in the days of 16-bit gaming), reportedly look great in sterescopic 3D. Even better, every level in the game is based on an animated Disney adventure, from "Sleeping Beauty" to "Tangled" and lots in between.

As a final declaration of oldschool love, every character that Mickey saves in Power of Illusionwill take up residence in the fortress that Mickey uses as his home base, a confirmed nod to the esteemed Suikoden RPG series. Sometimes you find references in the unlikeliest of places, but that's part of what makes video games fun. Right?

There's no release date set for Power of Illusion (Fall 2012 is a general target), but expect lots more information on this game as the weeks march on like Mouseketeers.

http://ds.about.com/...tendo-power.htm

Yes! I loved castle of illusions, bring on the hand-drawn sprites in stereoscopic 3D. :D
    3 people like this.

Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Message Count:
    Germany
    Sounds really cool. I often liked the fact that the DS was a little underpowered and therefor got many sidescrollers so I'm very happy that still these handheld systems, even though now very powerful, are still often used for 2D games... Nice!

Also I loved Epic Mickey and HenryHemsworth/MonsterTale so this combo will be quite interesting!

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Message Count:
    Australia
    i knew it i knew it had something to to with castle of illusion as soon as i seen illusion in the title

lostdwarf New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    This is pretty cool, I used to play castle of illusion at my friends when I was younger. Good game.

chartube12 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I had a feeling it was going to be a castle sequal. I still have my copy of the gen. somewhere.

shakirmoledina Legend

Message Count:
    Tanzania
    probably they can also drop it in for those who havent played castle of illusion like contra did (4)

Ryupower Brood

Message Count:
    United States
    a
    3d classic or VC version(for the 3DS) of Castle of Illusion would be nice
    • Reporter

FAST6191 Techromancer

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Might Disney actually be involved in a game worth playing again? I hope so as Castle of Illusion was an amazing game (perhaps not as much as the megadrive sequel but still Disney on top form).

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Message Count:
    Singapore
    Sounds awesome. :D

clarky World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Message Count:
    United States
    i thought there was already a follow up to castle of illusion called world of illusion on the megadrive?
    • Former Staff

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Actually this is the sequel to Castle of Illusion.

[IMG]

I wonder what Sega/Emirin have to say about this.

I wonder what happened to Emirin, they did some great Disney games for Sega.

heartgold New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Follow-up doesn't mean direct squeal, coz the magazine also states follow up on Epic Mickey, maybe utilising ideas from those games.

NahuelDS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Message Count:
    Argentina
    I don't get why all the attention goes to Castle of Illusion.... that game is utter shit compared to Mickey Mania!

chartube12 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    mickey mania is crap. I like a game i can actually play. Instead mickey freezes into place every few feet.
    • Former Staff

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    [IMG]

First screenie, just how I wanted it to look.
    http://gonintendo.co...story&id=174469

I'm not all that fussed about Epic Mickey 2, but this game I want released ASAP.

No not really, it was a decent game though.

Never happened on the PSX version, can't speak about the other ones.

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Message Count:
    Australia
    i love it already i hope you can butt bounce and throw blocks and shit like in COI (SMS version)...i wonder what other Disney characters will pop up in it.

iamthemilkman New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    That screenshot brings back memories of the great Disney games on the Sega Genesis. While I'm anticipating Epic Mickey 2's release, the 3DS game is definitely more important to me.

Monster Tale was something pretty special. I also really enjoyed Henry Hatsworth. I recently picked up a copy of Monster Tale for $5 at Five Below.

heartgold New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    @Hadrian - I'll add that picture to the front post if you don't mind. :)
    • Former Staff

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Wouldn't it be awesome if you could play Scrooge...and stamp on enemies with his cane?
    1 people like this.

soulx #eattherude

Message Count:
    Ashmore and Cartier Islands
    Wow, I'm loving the graphical style. Looks great!

I'm more excited for this instead of the other versions.