heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tr.jpg

2010's Epic Mickey was an action-adventure/platforming game that made enough of an impression on the Wii to warrant not one, but two sequels: Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Two for the Wii, and Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, which is coming to the Nintendo 3DS.

The April 2012 issue of Nintendo Power has detailed previews for both games, so if you're a fan of the Mickster, you'll want to pick it up. Here's a summary of what's coming to the Nintendo 3DS. It's intriguing stuff!

Power of Illusion is being put together by DreamRift, the studio behind 2011's Monster Tale for the Nintendo DS. The game, which is its own side-scrolling, platforming title (instead of a mere port of The Power of Two), is a follow-up to Epic Mickey, but more interestingly, it's also a follow-up toCastle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, a 1990 game for the Sega Genesis!

Power of Illusion will make heavy use of the Nintendo 3DS's stylus. By tapping the item icons exist in every level, you'll be able to "paint" (trace) those items into existence, including cliffs, cannons, and floating platforms. The more precisely you trace, the better for Mickey. A flawlessly-painted canon will only damage Mickey's enemies, for instance, but if you mess up the painting, the canon will be a danger to everyone in the area.

Sometimes you'll need to erase objects, which is done by spreading thinner. Again, the stylus comes into play here.

The hand-drawn sprites in Power of Illusion are extremely compelling, and, thanks to scrolling parallax backgrounds (a heavily-used graphic technique in the days of 16-bit gaming), reportedly look great in sterescopic 3D. Even better, every level in the game is based on an animated Disney adventure, from "Sleeping Beauty" to "Tangled" and lots in between.

As a final declaration of oldschool love, every character that Mickey saves in Power of Illusionwill take up residence in the fortress that Mickey uses as his home base, a confirmed nod to the esteemed Suikoden RPG series. Sometimes you find references in the unlikeliest of places, but that's part of what makes video games fun. Right?

There's no release date set for Power of Illusion (Fall 2012 is a general target), but expect lots more information on this game as the weeks march on like Mouseketeers.

http://ds.about.com/...tendo-power.htm

Yes! I loved castle of illusions, bring on the hand-drawn sprites in stereoscopic 3D. :D

Reactions: 3 people

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sounds really cool. I often liked the fact that the DS was a little underpowered and therefor got many sidescrollers so I'm very happy that still these handheld systems, even though now very powerful, are still often used for 2D games... Nice!

Also I loved Epic Mickey and HenryHemsworth/MonsterTale so this combo will be quite interesting!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Might Disney actually be involved in a game worth playing again? I hope so as Castle of Illusion was an amazing game (perhaps not as much as the megadrive sequel but still Disney on top form).

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought there was already a follow up to castle of illusion called world of illusion on the megadrive?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually this is the sequel to Castle of Illusion.

Land_of_Illusion_starring_Mickey_Mouse_Coverart.png

I wonder what Sega/Emirin have to say about this.

I wonder what happened to Emirin, they did some great Disney games for Sega.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually this is the sequel to Castle of Illusion.

Land_of_Illusion_starring_Mickey_Mouse_Coverart.png

I wonder what Sega/Emirin have to say about this.

I wonder what happened to Emirin, they did some great Disney games for Sega.

Follow-up doesn't mean direct squeal, coz the magazine also states follow up on Epic Mickey, maybe utilising ideas from those games.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why all the attention goes to Castle of Illusion.... that game is utter shit compared to Mickey Mania!

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tr.jpg

First screenie, just how I wanted it to look.
http://gonintendo.co...story&id=174469

I'm not all that fussed about Epic Mickey 2, but this game I want released ASAP.

I don't get why all the attention goes to Castle of Illusion.... that game is utter shit compared to Mickey Mania!
No not really, it was a decent game though.

mickey mania is crap. I like a game i can actually play. Instead mickey freezes into place every few feet.
Never happened on the PSX version, can't speak about the other ones.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i love it already i hope you can butt bounce and throw blocks and shit like in COI (SMS version)...i wonder what other Disney characters will pop up in it.

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That screenshot brings back memories of the great Disney games on the Sega Genesis. While I'm anticipating Epic Mickey 2's release, the 3DS game is definitely more important to me.

Monster Tale was something pretty special. I also really enjoyed Henry Hatsworth. I recently picked up a copy of Monster Tale for $5 at Five Below.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i love it already i hope you can butt bounce and throw blocks and shit like in COI (SMS version)...i wonder what other Disney characters will pop up in it.
Wouldn't it be awesome if you could play Scrooge...and stamp on enemies with his cane?

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

Wow, I'm loving the graphical style. Looks great!

I'm more excited for this instead of the other versions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D