Hacking Emulation of other consoles

Dr Pikachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering why other console emulators aren't available for the r43ds. The specs are sufficient enough to emulate a Nintendo 64 at the least. Would it be the actual programming process or something else? I'm asking because as troublesome as it sounds I was thinking of using dslinux as a bootloader and try to flash another linux OS such as Lucid Linux or Backtrack 4 using the arm edition. We could somehow use Virtualbox and download everything from there. Difficult idea but it was just on my mind because I know petit computer app can't do any of this due to the lack of vb script.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering why other console emulators aren't available for the r43ds.

There are quite a few:

http://www.zophar.net/consoles/nds.html

The specs are sufficient enough to emulate a Nintendo 64 at the least.

No, they aren't. Not nearly enough in DS mode. (which is what ALL flash carts today run in, barring ONE which runs in a slightly higher DSi mode but it's unsupported anymore)

Dr Pikachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering why other console emulators aren't available for the r43ds.

There are quite a few:

http://www.zophar.ne...nsoles/nds.html

The specs are sufficient enough to emulate a Nintendo 64 at the least.

No, they aren't. Not nearly enough in DS mode. (which is what ALL flash carts today run in, barring ONE which runs in a slightly higher DSi mode but it's unsupported anymore)
So the problem would be the DS mode. Think the 3ds can handle running Lucid linux as the OS while running an emulated Windows XP?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So the problem would be the DS mode. Think the 3ds can handle running Lucid linux as the OS while running an emulated Windows XP?
Well that would be doubly stupid. N64 emulation is rather plausible on the system itself, there would be no need for any of that. Not to mention I highly doubt we could emulate Windows XP on the 3DS anyways.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well that would be doubly stupid. N64 emulation is rather plausible on the system itself, there would be no need for any of that. Not to mention I highly doubt we could emulate Windows XP on the 3DS anyways.
That's debatable and depends on the game emulated. When was the last time you played an N64 game on the Wii, for example? :P

Dr Pikachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's already possible to run Dslinux so there should be no problem running it as a bootloader to boot Lucid linux.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
That's debatable and depends on the game emulated. When was the last time you played an N64 game on the Wii, for example? :P
That's why I said rather plausible and not "YEP GONNA BE 100% EMULATION BABY".

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, I suppose... :P

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the 3DS won't be able to emulate any machines other than the ones we've seen on the Wii - not with its limited specs. If people want a machine that will be able to emulate some systems, the Vita is the way to go, especially since there appear to be some User Mode exploits in Vita Mode being actively developed as we speak, so homebrew is on its way.

Dr Pikachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plausible is a better answer.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Think the 3ds can handle running Lucid linux as the OS while running an emulated Windows XP?
Honest question, are you serious?

That's like asking if a kid's bicycle can handle pulling a u-haul full of furniture. The differences in power are huge.

It's already possible to run Dslinux so there should be no problem running it as a bootloader to boot Lucid linux.
Have you done any research on dslinux? It's commandline-only, has no memory management, and in fact is a stripped-down version of Linux so that it runs (what with the lack of hardware MMU and all).

The DS only has 4MB of RAM. Four megabytes. You are VASTLY overestimating the specs available.

"Plausible" is still a no. It is not plausible to fit 256MB of memory into 4MB with no management, and that's just the baseline for LL, not to mention running something inside it, and then stuff inside that.

And do I even need to get into the CPU power?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Think the 3ds can handle running Lucid linux as the OS while running an emulated Windows XP?

That's like asking if a kid's bicycle can handle pulling a u-haul full of furniture. The differences in power are huge.
What if the kid is juicing? :P

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

What if the kid is juicing? :P

57933_1204852114299_full.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.