Hacking Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki FC Evolution [Translation Port]

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm just about done with patching all the script files in the msg directory, which gives a full translation of the story and NPC dialogue. I used EDDecompiler to decompile the script files in the scenario directory of the USA PC version, which allowed me to get clean dialogue strings that mostly lined up with the vita dialogue (unfortunately the decompiler does not seem to work for SC since that game introduced new op codes that the decompiler doesn't recognize). There were a handful of new lines exclusive to the vita version (maybe 10-20); I went ahead and translated those by hand.

Is it possible to add additional text boxes? If so, the only solution I can see would be to do that for lines that go over.

the database

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazing:D:D

Will there be a patch tutorial when it get done?

Amazing... Do you plan to make your project available to download when it`s completely finished?

Yes, of course. I haven't thought about the release yet since there's still more work to be done, but it will probably be released as a simple xdelta patch.

There are codes to increase a texts size, but I'm unsure if its only for a few particular sizes, essentially standard and large (for example when someone screams), one of the very first dialogues in SC has a code to change the scale of the text as Estelle is shouting. But shrinking the text might not be possible.

I'm a bit sad to hear it doesn't work with SC though, that's what i was most exciting for actually, given that the games are 2 parts of a single thing.

The decompiler source is available though, perhaps it'd be possible to edit that so it supports SC.

I'm really happy someone continued where I left off though, but I apologize for being able to provide any help at all, you essentially did it all from scratch.

Yeah, I tried the engine's font codes, but there wasn't enough fine control. Size 2 is standard, 1 is small, 3+ are larger, and the sizes must be whole integers.

I tried some quick edits to the decompiler source to get it to work with SC, but didn't have any luck. There are like 30+ new OP codes going from FC to SC and it's a pain to figure them all out. But then I realized that I don't need to do all that work. Getting the full decompiler to work is overkill -- to extract the text, I only need to understand the OP codes involving text boxes, and I can ignore everything else. The text-related OP codes seem to be the same between FC and SC (0x5B for character talk, 0x5C for NPC talk, and 0x54 for anonymous talk -- I learned this from the FC decompiler), so I wrote my own "mini" decompiler (technically it's not a decompiler at all; it's much simpler) that grabs just those OP codes and associated text, and ignores everything else. So now I'll be able to reuse the patcher script I wrote for FC.

To your credit, I had given up on this until I saw your demo video that showed me it was feasible, so thanks for that.

Is it possible to add additional text boxes? If so, the only solution I can see would be to do that for lines that go over.

Surprisingly, yes! And easily. The thought didn't even occur to me. Clearly I've been looking at this for too long.

S6jXop9.jpg

wkrNOQR.jpg

It's still a bit awkward because the voice clip only plays during the first box, and then there's no voice for the second box. But it's still much better than the alternative of having text run off the side. I ran a search for long strings that need to fit in a 3 line box, and the longest one was from later in the game at 7 lines long! So that definitely would've been cut off the side of the screen and completely unreadable with my old solution.

Last edited by the database,

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's really great to hear!
I can understand the problem with the voices, but it's cleaner this way and is a common solution for official localizations when a line is just too darn long. One additional thing they do to make the change less abrupt is to add "..." at the end of the first text box and beginning of the second. It could help with the abruptness of the lines.
It'd look like this

Scherazard
Liberl is proud to be one of the leading
producers of septium on the continent and is
known for its high level of technology used...

Scherazard
...to develop orbments.​

Reactions: satan89

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
If you can edit the English script, wouldn't it be easier to rephrase sentences to smaller ones that fit the box? Sure it wouldn't be 100% original, but will be cleaner overall.

It would also take a lot of work manually editing them though, maybe others like us could help out with that?

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rephrasing things would be far more work than automatically adding new text boxes so that none of the lines get cut out.

This way is both the easiest and keeps the script more accurate to how it should be.

the database

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's really great to hear!
I can understand the problem with the voices, but it's cleaner this way and is a common solution for official localizations when a line is just too darn long. One additional thing they do to make the change less abrupt is to add "..." at the end of the first text box and beginning of the second. It could help with the abruptness of the lines.
It'd look like this

Scherazard
Liberl is proud to be one of the leading
producers of septium on the continent and is
known for its high level of technology used...

Scherazard
...to develop orbments.​

Good point. Will do, thanks.

If you can edit the English script, wouldn't it be easier to rephrase sentences to smaller ones that fit the box? Sure it wouldn't be 100% original, but will be cleaner overall.

It would also take a lot of work manually editing them though, maybe others like us could help out with that?

Rephrasing things would be far more work than automatically adding new text boxes so that none of the lines get cut out.

This way is both the easiest and keeps the script more accurate to how it should be.

Yeah, I agree that it's best to avoid making changes by hand. I don't want to add any more work than is necessary. Speaking of changes that need to be made by hand, there are about 75 images that need to be translated by hand (in the data/visual folder). They consist of tutorial images, a list of battle arts, the chapter title images (like the one below), and a few other things.

egYMOGN.png

Currently, I've been working on translating the dialogue prompt options. Like I mentioned earlier, these are stored in the scenario bin files, which can't be edited directly because they're compiled scripts. So I've been modifying the ED6Decompiler (which works on FC PC script files) to work with the FC Evo script files. So far, I've had mixed results. I did succeed in adding the missing OP codes so that all the FC Evo script files can decompile and recompile.

While I've got English translated dialogue prompt options for some scenes, other scenes just crash immediately. That means my edits to the ED6Decompiler aren't 100% correct yet, so some of the scripts it compiles are invalid. It's pretty much just guesswork for me, so this part may take a while. Luckily, there aren't very many new OP codes going from FC to FC Evo (maybe 5-10), so I should get it eventually...

It would be nice if I could find someone that's willing to work on photoshopping translations for the 75 images, so that can be done while I work on fixing the decompiler. Japanese knowledge probably isn't required since there's English material already available for most of it (like the chapter title names and list of battle arts). If not, I'll just do those once I'm done with the decompiler fixes.

D

Deleted User

Yeah, I agree that it's best to avoid making changes by hand. I don't want to add any more work than is necessary. Speaking of changes that need to be made by hand, there are about 75 images that need to be translated by hand (in the data/visual folder). They consist of tutorial images, a list of battle arts, the chapter title images (like the one below), and a few other things.

It would be nice if I could find someone that's willing to work on photoshopping translations for the 75 images, so that can be done while I work on fixing the decompiler. Japanese knowledge probably isn't required since there's English material already available for most of it (like the chapter title names and list of battle arts). If not, I'll just do those once I'm done with the decompiler fixes.

I'm up for this.
I did some quick tests with the itp files from SC Evo. and overly speaking it was super easy.
Though some things like the newspaper articles etc, those are a lot more complicated, and for these it'd be easier to just use the files from the PC/PSP versions honestly.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: satan89

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get me the translations and I can do it. I also have experience with stuff like this too.

Grink

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
very interesting stuff and i am very much looking forward to this

any plans to do this for the rest of the Evolution series? i know 2 was released on psp, but they abstained from releasing 3rd on vita/psp because of all the censorship

Last edited by Grink,

the database

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm up for this, I'm a professional artist anyway so I don't imagine its going to take very long, I did some quick tests with the itp files from SC Evo. and overly speaking it was super easy.
Though some things like the newspaper articles etc, those are a lot more complicated, and for these it'd be easier to just use the files from the PC/PSP versions honestly.
I live in Japan so I have enough Japanese knowledge if/when it is needed, so that could come in handy.

Get me the translations and I can do it. I also have experience with stuff like this too.

Glad to see some interest. I've uploaded some resources that I'd like to share with you privately, but I'm not sure how to send private messages here. Do I need to have more posts before having the permissions to do so, perhaps?

From what I've skimmed through on this thread, it looks like it might be a bit of a pain to edit these graphics. But I know that most of the images that need editing are simple flat images so maybe it won't be so bad. I recommend editing one image first, and then trying to run the game with the single edited image to see if it works correctly and doesn't crash.

very interesting stuff and i am very much looking forward to this

any plans to do this for the rest of the Evolution series? i know 2 was released on psp, but they abstained from releasing 3rd on vita/psp because of all the censorship

Yes, definitely interested. Second Chapter is next on the list, but I don't know how long it will take.

Third is also confirmed for a 2017 English release on PC, so I could look into it once that's released. And if Zero/Ao ever get localized, I'd be interested in doing those too.

Finally, I have some progress to report on translating dialogue prompt options:

3e3zWXn.jpg

I finally got some scenes that were crashing before to work correctly. Since I was editing EDDecompiler to support the Evo version of FC, I kept thinking that my Evo-related edits were causing issues. But it turns out that the EDDecompiler just had a bug all along, unrelated to my edits. Now that I know what the issue is, I should be able to fix the bug and get all dialogue prompt options translated.

Once that's done I will start looking at the files in the text folder, to translate things like items, crafts, arts, and quests.

ValconExe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The topic creator hasn't been on for a while. I think he may have stopped working on this. Project is dead guys time to move on.
OK, so I've been lurking this thread for a while, but what do you mean? Yeah, the thread creator hasn't been on for a while but if you read through the whole thread, there are several people who are working on it.

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Project is dead guys time to move on.
You didn't even have to go to the previous pages. If you just looked a few posts above yours, you'd see screenshots of a WIP. Less than 48 hours before your post. So no, it's not dead.

Maybe there was too much text and reading hurts your head, so you skipped through it and decided that your first post on this forums (welcome btw) would be to declare it dead?

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You didn't even have to go to the previous pages. If you just looked a few posts above yours, you'd see screenshots of a WIP. Less than 48 hours before your post. So no, it's not dead.

Maybe there was too much text and reading hurts your head, so you skipped through it and decided that your first post on this forums (welcome btw) would be to declare it dead?
Windalgo was joking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: test what?