Editing a .CIA game's 3DS loading screen?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by HelpTheWretched, Dec 6, 2017.

1. HelpTheWretched
    OP

HelpTheWretched Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    I tried searching for topics on this, but I'm not quite sure what it's called. "Banner" seems to refer to the image or objects you see on the 3DS HOME Menu, and "Splash" is commonly used for Luma3DS splash screens. What I'm looking for is the file(s) to edit in a decrypted .CIA game to change the loading screen when you first launch it; it typically says "Nintendo 3DS" on a black background, with some red rectangles floating around. FBI and some other Homebrew software have custom loading screens, so I figured it's possible.

In case anyone reading this is actually well-versed in editing these, then maybe you could point me in the right direction for something. For the edit I had in mind, all I really wanted to do was change the red colour in the "3" and the background rectangles to a different colour.

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    That screen is not in the 3ds game that's in the 3ds fw

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Nah, a copy is embedded in every title (copied in there by makerom, both the official and the project_ctr one)

HelpTheWretched likes this.
  4. KazoWAR

KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2008
    United States
    Winter Haven
    I don't think so... since homebrew can use a homebrewed loading screen since the "Nintendo 3DS" screen is technically copyrighted code.

example can be seen at 2:51

Last edited by KazoWAR, Dec 7, 2017
    adilucky3 likes this.
  5. HelpTheWretched
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    I'm not familiar with makerom but I can check it out. I've been using 3DSHackingToolkit to extract/rebuild CIA files. I figure the loading screen is somewhere in DecryptedExeFS.bin or DecryptedExHeader.bin.

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Old titles (compatible with less than 5.x iirc) have the logo inside the exefs, for newer ones it's their own dedicated partition

7. HelpTheWretched
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Interesting, I'll try dumping an older title and see what differences there are.

The game I'm looking at now is from 2015, and of the non-"Decrypted" partitions dumped, only LogoLZ.bin and PlainRGN.bin are larger than half a kilobyte. The ExtractedExeFS folder has 3 files: banner.bin, code.bin, and icon.bin. I don't expect to find it in code or icon...

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    All there in the name, it's the logo, and that file is LZ compressed... but I don't know any editors (wasn't interested)

HelpTheWretched likes this.
  9. HelpTheWretched
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks again... I took a look into the wonderful world of LZ compression but after a few hours and barely understanding, I'm going to leave it alone. :wink: