Edge Magazine releases Top 100 games of all time list

IMG_20170830_151046.jpg

Renowned UK gaming industry magazine EDGE has updated it's top 100 games of all time list for 2017:

Welcome to the 2017 edition of The 100 Greatest Videogames. If you’re not familiar with the format, here are our rules. In compiling this list, we worked to simple criteria: all formats – portable, touchscreen, console, PC, whatever – were eligible; we could include only a single entry from any series that features straight-up sequels; and each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance.

Not all of the games featured here are new, however. In fact, some of the most invigorating parts of the curation process involved pulling out and replaying a number of the most seasoned titles from the Edge archives. Hopefully this much-argued-over collection will inspire you in the same way.

100. Super Hexagon
99. Her Story
98. Super Monkey Ball
97. Final Fantasy XII
96. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
95. Hyper Light Drifter
94. Katamari Damacy
93. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
92. Resogun
91. Puzzle Bobble
90. F-Zero GX
89. The Sims 3
88. R-Type Final
87. Elite: Dangerous
86. Bomberman
85. StarCraft II
84. Pac-Man: Championship Edition
83. BioShock
82. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
81. Puzzle & Dragons
80. Tearaway
79. League of Legends
78. Super Meat Boy
77. Xenoblade Chronicles
76. OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast
75. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
74. Civilization IV
73. Battlefield 4
72. Metroid Prime
71. Hearthstone
70. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
69. Limbo
68. Towerfall Ascension
67. EarthBound
66. Batman: Arkham Knight
65. Transistor
64. Puyo Puyo
63. FTL: Advanced Edition
62: Persona 4 Golden
61. Mass Effect 2
60. Okami
59. The Stanley Parable
58. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
57. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
56. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
55. Far Cry 4
54. Titanfall 2
53. Doom (2016)
52. Trials Fusion
51. Nidhogg
50. Fez
49. Overwatch
48. Super Mario 3D World
47. Journey
46. Dead Space
45. Dota 2
44. Vanquish
43. Super Mario Maker
42. Fire Emblem Fates
41. Inside
40. Shadow of the Colossus
39. Halo 3
38. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
37. Spelunky
36. Destiny
35. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
34. Kerbal Space Program
33. Dishonored
32. Splatoon
31. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
30. Rock Band 3
29. The Last Guardian
28. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
27. Ico
26. Super Metroid
25. Demon's Souls
24. Horizon: Zero Dawn
23. Advance Wars
22. The Witness
21. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
20. Ultra Street Fighter IV
19. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
18. Rez Infinite
17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
16. Super Mario World
15. Red Dead Redemption
14. Super Mario 64
13. Portal
12. Bayonetta 2
11. Minecraft
10. Resident Evil 4
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Tetris
6. Half-Life 2
5. Bloodborne
4. The Last of Us
3. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Dark Souls
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

How many have you played?
I'm sitting at 89/100!

:arrow:Source: Neogaf

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Did a ctrl+F and was disappointed that only @Tom Bombadildo made a 7/10 joke.

This is such a cheesy generic list though. BotW best game of all time? Alright Edge, pat yourself on the back.

I mean honestly though, what about BotW puts it 23 places higher than Horizon?

Last edited by Ericzander,

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh - my - God ...

Who even gives a shit anymore? This biased, semi-recent crowd pleasing turd of a list should destroy any and all credibility Edge has left. Not that they are credible, or an authority on anything else than the sales of their useless magazine, but apparently there are still people out there who believe Edge is a thing to care about. Close this thread, please.

Last edited by Mariko,

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
BOTW first? Seriously? It is not even the best Zelda game. Oh well, the hype train is still going on. In a few years time, it will get its rightful place between the other masterpieces, just like all the previous ones too. On another note, Limbo, Doom (2016), Rock Band 3, Hearthstone, Dota and Splatoon? GTFO!!

Zabhahs

Goron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how did ocarina of time get so high, f zero gx so low and somehow pacman is higher than hyper light drifter. What a list, some of these games are veeeery odd choices

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was expecting to have played less of those games. I've played 90 on that list.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Zelda BOTW should not be number 1 in my opinion. And there is NO other FF aside from 12 on that list which is just dumb. At least there is persona tho (but again no P3 or P5). No SMT games. Alot of the games on that list were mainline series entries, so i am not surprised by the rankings.:mellow:

Did you read EDGE's review? They had serious hard ons that could not be quelled for BOTW.

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Witcher III is placed at number 56? The Witcher III is beautifully crafted, the most impressive, and most "soul-grabbing" game I have ever played. It does not belong at 56. I personally believe it was better than Breath of the Wild. I would give the game the number one spot. It certainly did not deserve 56.

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The Witcher III is placed at number 56? The Witcher III is beautifully crafted, the most impressive, and most "soul-grabbing" game I have ever played. It does not belong at 56. I personally believe it was better than Breath of the Wild. I would give the game the number one spot. It certainly did not deserve 56.

Opinions

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't care about the subjective aspect to this list so I won't complain about X game not making the cut.

However, this list has problems on a fundamental basis, as others have commented. It's simply because it goes against its own guidelines, several times (!). It clearly states that historical impact and nostalgia counts for nothing, which woulda been fine if they'd manage to stick to that. I'll give my examples of confusing and contradictory choices:

1. Any of the games that has a clearly better remake - RE4, SotC, ICO, TLoZ OoT/MM/WW, FFXII, Skyrim, TLoU, CoD4, Okami and there are probably some I missed... You might ask why they should bother writing Resident Evil 4 HD Remake. Here are my reasons: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Ultra Street Fighter IV. These are simply upgraded versions of already great games. MK8D isn't even an HD remake. It re-adds the feature of 2 items.... Basically, this list is inconsistent.

2. Tetris - They said historical impact doesn't count so... find a more polished version then. Don't you dare telling me this is the definitive version to play..

3,4,5. Puzzle Bobble, Bomberman, Puyo Puyo - Same reason as Tetris

63. Sleeping Dogs: Cop and Friends - This is not a very prestigious list..

And there are games I'm not familiar with, though I do question some of the other choices like:

Dota 2 AND LoL - Are they THAT different??... Then again there's 3x Souls games and 3x 3D Mario games. I guess Dota 2 and LoL are at least as different from each other as those are.

Splatoon vs Splatoon 2 - Do any fans complain about the first being better? Maybe the sequel is too recent?

Anyway, making a list without accounting for historical impact is nice because it gives unexperienced gamers a quick idea about older games they might be able to enjoy instead of having themselves play games that simply haven't aged well.

However, this also means this list requires more frequent updates as better iterations/sequels of games come out, like what they've done with Doom, and, what (I imagine) they'll have to do with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate when World releases.

Last edited by Zense,

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I was expecting to have played less of those games. I've played 90 on that list.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did you read EDGE's review? They had serious hard ons that could not be quelled for BOTW.

LOL it is definitely is hard to quell hard ons:evil:, so now it makes sense then as to why BOTW was #1. Dont get me wrong it is a great game but definitely not worth the number 1 spot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: