ED64 Plus... my impressions. Any Owners around here?

filevans

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i originally tried to order from krizz and when it went to checkout it would not accept the paypal payment, and i was trying loads of times 2 days in a row and i emailed krizz about it and he said he has seen it before but doesnt know why, so i got frustrated with it and ordered the ed64 plus then, which ive waited ages for to arrive, and doesnt even work

so no happiness for me

Last edited by filevans,

filevans

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ive resolved the problem, it was the power supply i had ordered!!!!!!

i ordered a cheap chinese replica, which makes the light come on, but the console is just showing a black screen. as soon as i put the original power supply in everything worked!!

i dont know how they can mess up a power supply

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i dont know how they can mess up a power supply
That is actually one of the scarier things I have read here -- cheapo Chinese power supplies are deathtraps on occasion and usually barely acceptable.
Pick any vaguely electrical engineering related youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog https://www.youtube.com/user/mikeselectricstuff/videos https://www.youtube.com/user/bigclivedotcom/videos https://www.youtube.com/user/jjward/videos ) and if they are pulling apart any piece of Chinese tat they will look at the supply for good reason.

Reactions: zfreeman

TUWieZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone who owns the ED64P please tell me if it can create backups of a controller's memory card/pak to SD?
I'm torn on between purchasing one of these for 50$, or a dexdrive and serial port adapter for 30$ to make a backup of my memory card.

There are a handful of japanese titles I'd love to play on my actual hardware but if the ED64P cant back-up memory cards then I'd rather just get a dexdrive. Could always play authentic japanese carts through a gameshark I suppose :P

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone who owns the ED64P please tell me if it can create backups of a controller's memory card/pak to SD?
I'm torn on between purchasing one of these for 50$, or a dexdrive and serial port adapter for 30$ to make a backup of my memory card.

There are a handful of japanese titles I'd love to play on my actual hardware but if the ED64P cant back-up memory cards then I'd rather just get a dexdrive. Could always play authentic japanese carts through a gameshark I suppose :P
https://web.archive.org/web/2018092...reads/release-mempak-tool-for-the-ed64.41396/

Last edited by zfreeman,
Reactions: TUWieZ

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just a fyi.
There is a new ED64Plus out for quite some time now. The Slot for the original Card is gone and it now has a switch on top to switch between the CIC chips.
Actually you can also buy thease multi CICs seperately to use them in any device that needs em.

trigao

Ninten
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the new version:
ed64%20plus%20versatildeo%202016_zpstz6rideq.jpg

flat top, with a switch on top to change between NTSC and PAL, no need for cartridge
seems like, somehow the ed64 team managed to fix some problems in games

Pokemon Stadium 2 (WORKS 100%, no glitchs, artifacts, color change or other things)
Banjo Tooie (so far so good)

still needs to press restart button 1-2s to save the game
still no RTC

if someone want to test some games, call me

Last edited by trigao,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"still needs expansion pack, for the games that requires it"
Have other flash carts managed to bypass that need then? RTC may be an omission but I can not fault a flash cart for a system level hardware limit/limitation.

Reactions: zfreeman and KiiWii
K

KingpinSlim

I personally believe that the original creators should be supported, not the people who simply copy the design.
In the end you will simply profit off of someone stealing someones ideas.

Reactions: N64

TUWieZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally believe that the original creators should be supported, not the people who simply copy the design.
In the end you will simply profit off of someone stealing someones ideas.
tell it to the manufacturers of 10$ 3ds compatible NDS r4 cards, its good marketing imo. it's just competition which leads to price drops in the actual hardware which are inevitable anyway.

ED64P has been a good 'taste test' of n64 homebrew/backup loading for me so far. and since its basicially an ED64V1 who is really at loss?

The OEM of the real ED64 doesnt even sell v1 anymore, and buying one second hand would probably run you more $$$ than an ED64P (yknow, buying it from someone who bought a v1 at its full price 2 revisions ago)

comparing my ed64p to the ed64 v1, it has outstanding compatibility (with the exception tooie, my cart has the pin connector on the top, which is useless when it comes with a CIC installed) Conker, kazooie, dk64, and jet force gemini all load properly. the SD card slot is spring loaded, unlike the ed64 v1, and it has a microusb port (im not entirely sure of its application or if it even works but still neato)

some small cons though, some minor slowdowns on (J) titles, but nothing gameplay hindering. notably on the scrolling background of the main menu in Hiryu no Ken twin (Flying Dragon). No tooie/cic6105 support on rev one, but two posts up it seems the newer version supports it. It may work if i replaced the CIC which is exposed by a square cut out section of the carts plastic (covered by a sticker on the back of the cartridge.) Last con is having to force set save types for some (J) games like robopon 64, which isnt much of a big deal. No software/firmware updates. Dont use ED64 firmware on an ED64P or you will corrupt your sd card.

And please dont call me a hypocrite for mentioning the actual ED64's multiple revisions lol, I know obviously that the ED64P had a revision without a pin connector, with a CIC that supports tooie (as i said, i saw the post two posts above) I had the option of either buying the new version for 70$ US and the old version for 50, i regret nothing and i knew exactly what i was getting. If I ever do upgrade, itll be to the real ED64, when eventually (hopefully) the price drops from 300$

All i needed an ed64 for was backing up my GBC and mempak saves, major run for my money if you ask me. id give it a 4/5

P.S. im extremely sorry if you see this as 'bashing' the actual ed64, i gotta say if i was the OEM i would definitely be arrogant enough slap an disgusting price like 300$ on my carts too. he took the time and the effort to do it first, but it's had too many revisions for me to be comfortable with a large purchase like that. the ED64P was exactly what i was looking for.

I'd probably be better off waiting for v4 either way, its supposed to have a 56k modem on it like the randnet cartridge :rofl:
(ok that last part was shitposting sorry)

To be brief, the value outweighs the quality of the product it knocks off.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also i know im late but thank you! if its not obvious im very satsified with my ED64P. Did exactly what i needed it to and some.

K

KingpinSlim

tell it to the manufacturers of 10$ 3ds compatible NDS r4 cards, its good marketing imo. it's just competition which leads to price drops in the actual hardware which are inevitable anyway.

ED64P has been a good 'taste test' of n64 homebrew/backup loading for me so far. and since its basicially an ED64V1 who is really at loss?

The OEM of the real ED64 doesnt even sell v1 anymore, and buying one second hand would probably run you more $$$ than an ED64P (yknow, buying it from someone who bought a v1 at its full price 2 revisions ago)

comparing my ed64p to the ed64 v1, it has outstanding compatibility (with the exception tooie, my cart has the pin connector on the top, which is useless when it comes with a CIC installed) Conker, kazooie, dk64, and jet force gemini all load properly. the SD card slot is spring loaded, unlike the ed64 v1, and it has a microusb port (im not entirely sure of its application or if it even works but still neato)

some small cons though, some minor slowdowns on (J) titles, but nothing gameplay hindering. notably on the scrolling background of the main menu in Hiryu no Ken twin (Flying Dragon). No tooie/cic6105 support on rev one, but two posts up it seems the newer version supports it. It may work if i replaced the CIC which is exposed by a square cut out section of the carts plastic (covered by a sticker on the back of the cartridge.) Last con is having to force set save types for some (J) games like robopon 64, which isnt much of a big deal. No software/firmware updates. Dont use ED64 firmware on an ED64P or you will corrupt your sd card.

And please dont call me a hypocrite for mentioning the actual ED64's multiple revisions lol, I know obviously that the ED64P had a revision without a pin connector, with a CIC that supports tooie (as i said, i saw the post two posts above) I had the option of either buying the new version for 70$ US and the old version for 50, i regret nothing and i knew exactly what i was getting. If I ever do upgrade, itll be to the real ED64, when eventually (hopefully) the price drops from 300$

All i needed an ed64 for was backing up my GBC and mempak saves, major run for my money if you ask me. id give it a 4/5

P.S. im extremely sorry if you see this as 'bashing' the actual ed64, i gotta say if i was the OEM i would definitely be arrogant enough slap an disgusting price like 300$ on my carts too. he took the time and the effort to do it first, but it's had too many revisions for me to be comfortable with a large purchase like that. the ED64P was exactly what i was looking for.

I'd probably be better off waiting for v4 either way, its supposed to have a 56k modem on it like the randnet cartridge :rofl:
(ok that last part was shitposting sorry)

To be brief, the value outweighs the quality of the product it knocks off.

If you dont have to develop anything yourself and just steal someones elses design does it really surprise you that its cheaper?
And you saying that this is "great competition" is the worst kind of bullshit i have EVER heard.
There is no competition if someone steals your design and sells it cheaper. Its theft.
Theft isnt competition.
Sure crackjunkies are selling cheap car-stereos for a real bargain. No shop can compete with crack-junkies that just steal shit.

TUWieZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you dont have to develop anything yourself and just steal someones elses design does it really surprise you that its cheaper?
And you saying that this is "great competition" is the worst kind of bullshit i have EVER heard.
There is no competition if someone steals your design and sells it cheaper. Its theft.
Theft isnt competition.
Sure crackjunkies are selling cheap car-stereos for a real bargain. No shop can compete with crack-junkies that just steal shit.
im not saying its right, im saying it works. its decent. and its been done before in other flashcart markets. i dont see what the surprise is here.

not to mention, the v1 isnt sold anymore. thats like if someone was flipping about n64 piracy, someone supporting the actual ED64 would say 'well they dont sell/reproduce n64 games anymore'

if you wanna know what theft is, you should talk to someone who purchased all 3 revisions of the ed64

K

KingpinSlim

im not saying its right, im saying it works. its decent. and its been done before in other flashcart markets. i dont see what the surprise is here.

not to mention, the v1 isnt sold anymore. thats like if someone was flipping about n64 piracy, someone supporting the actual ED64 would say 'well they dont sell/reproduce n64 games anymore'

if you wanna know what theft is, you should talk to someone who purchased all 3 revisions of the ed64

I'm sorry. I just don't condone stealing from some poor guy who lives in wartorn ukraine.
I don't think thats right and i really, really dislike you rationalizing it.
I find that offensive, to say the least.
If you have any doubts about wether your behavior is acceptable, why not had over to http://krikzz.com/forum/ and ask the man himself what he thinks about it.
I am done here and i am simply not going to discuss this with you any further.

TUWieZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry. I just don't condone stealing from some poor guy who lives in wartorn ukraine.
I don't think thats right and i really, really dislike you rationalizing it.
I find that offensive, to say the least.
If you have any doubts about wether your behavior is acceptable, why not had over to http://krikzz.com/forum/ and ask the man himself what he thinks about it.
I am done here and i am simply not going to discuss this with you any further.
like i said, i dont think its right either. and i hate to say it but ive been there multiple times exploring n64 homebrews. thats also a somewhat questionable con of the ED64P, is feeling like an outcast on that board lol

in no way would i discredit him. The mans a genius but all im saying is given the retail price he gave his product, and for how long that price has stagnated over his multiple revisions, the ED64P was inevitable.

I do respect your opinon even though its kind of an oxymoron to be anti-piracy about bootleg flashcarts lol. Like I said, if i were him I probably wouldve slapped outrageous prices on it too. Please understand though that a diverse flash cart market isn't necessarily a bad thing. it just means me and you, the consumer, will have more options in the future. If anything cheaper flash carts will encourage more n64 homebrew by making them more easily accessible.

benthebrilliant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone ever been able to upgrade the menu to 1.29? Some website said it was possible but I cannot for the life of me get it to work. Can't play Banjo-Tooie without it. (PAL console running in PAL60)

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by zfreeman,

benthebrilliant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Banjo-Tooie & Jet Force Gemini: http://retroactive.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7&start=360

"In short you have two options:
- Solder a 6105/7105 CIC to the 64drive and run the clean roms of said games.
- Patch the roms of said games with the cracks that are available:
Banjo Tooie NTSC Crack
Banjo Tooie PAL has no crack, you need the 6105/7105 CIC to run it.
Jet Force Gemini NTSC Crack
Jet Force Gemini PAL Crack"

patches: http://micro-64.com/database/patches.shtml

No no, I'm using the newer version that already has the CIC chips, I just can't get the NTSC crack to run. I'd be able to play the NTSC version of the game just fine if I could update the menu to 1.29, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.