ED64 Plus... my impressions. Any Owners around here?

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Honestly, are the N64 homebrews booting alright?

To be honest... i didn't tested it. Are there really homebrews out there that are worth it? But, of course... just tell me the homebrews and i'll test them.

What about beta/unreleased ROM dumps?

The same as above. Please tell me.

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm thinking of getting this and I'm wondering how this would handle rom hacks, specifically the 2-player Super Mario one.

No. I tested it, and the SuperMario64 Multiplayer Rom Hack (version1.0 and also 1.2) dosen't work. It also dosen't work on Chrizzys Everdrive 1 or 2. Rom-Hacks are often so lousy coded, that it's impossible to run them on the real hardware. Sorry.

shadow_cruiser

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have been using the ED64Plus (Enhanced Version) for 2 months now with no issues at all. 2 months ago I looked far and wide to find a decent price for krizz's everdrive 64, after all, I want to support the original developer. At the double the cost, it's not worth it at all. I can get a CIC soldered, USB port and molded N64 shell for $77.80 shipped all in. Tell Krizz to lower the price of his product and then maybe people will start supporting him. Yes, you can buy the ED64 V2 for future updates but looked what happened to V1, it's not supported anymore. All those first time adopters (beta testers really) helping krizz are left in the dust. Frankly, there's nothing to update. 97-98% of games work perfectly and nearly all the mainstream ones. Krizz can add all the fancy menu's he wants, that doesn't justify an extra $70. It's also been said many people are having problems with the new update, there goes the second batch of beta testers.

Attachments

• Everdrive.jpg
    Everdrive.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 831
  • ed64 plus.jpg
    ed64 plus.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 790

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have been using the ED64Plus (Enhanced Version) for 2 months now with no issues at all.

What is an ED64Plus Enhanced Version?! :wacko: Is the only differece that this one dosen't need a boot cart? Is this Enhanced Version from the same Team as the standart 6464Plus?!

97-98% of games work perfectly and nearly all the mainstream ones. Krizz can add all the fancy menu's he wants, that doesn't justify an extra $70.

Correct. But, as i said... for what kind of update are the people waiting? No more commercial Roms will be released, that's for sure. Better Homebrew support? Development tools?

I owned a Doctor V64 for years, and i'am still owning an Z64. They only had 256 Mbit RAM. ED64Plus has 512, but i guess i never coult get a 512 Mbit game running... maybe my fault, bad dumps or wrong setting/patches. Have you managed to run such a game?

justinwebb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would gladly pay the extra money to support krikzz and anything new. He supports his stuff, adds updates and if anything goes wrong he fixes it for free. 70 bucks really isn't that much of a difference.

shadow_cruiser

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What is an ED64Plus Enhanced Version?! :wacko: Is the only differece that this one dosen't need a boot cart? Is this Enhanced Version from the same Team as the standart 6464Plus?!

Correct. But, as i said... for what kind of update are the people waiting? No more commercial Roms will be released, that's for sure. Better Homebrew support? Development tools?

I owned a Doctor V64 for years, and i'am still owning an Z64. They only had 256 Mbit RAM. ED64Plus has 512, but i guess i never coult get a 512 Mbit game running... maybe my fault, bad dumps or wrong setting/patches. Have you managed to run such a game?

I believe it's the same team but I may be wrong. There are a few sellers on Aliexpress selling the enhanced version but nothing has changed packaging wise (manuals, cables, catridge, etc). The catridge is the same, the black top piece doesn't need to be taken off giving it a cleaner "OEM" look
I will try Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day soon and let you know. There's no difference other than the CIC being soldered to the PCB. Then again, I haven't opened it up. This enhanced version just started showing up recently and could be based on Krizz's V2 catridge.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To be honest... i didn't tested it. Are there really homebrews out there that are worth it? But, of course... just tell me the homebrews and i'll test them.

The same as above. Please tell me.

Bummer
Prolly just home made games/controller testers and emulators for NES ;p

Unreleased ones...
Assemblergames has had a few as well as unseen64.
Google the ROM and one shall stumble upon one c:

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The catridge is the same, the black top piece doesn't need to be taken off giving it a cleaner "OEM" look

Jep... it looks nicer that way. I was thinking, at the start, it may be an advantage that you can put any boot card on top, so you can use 6102, 6103 or even 6105 cic-carts to boot, but as much as i figured out, the ED64Plus only boots with a 6102 cart. So i guess, this advantage is not given.

I will try Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day soon and let you know.

Thanks, that would be intresting.

This enhanced version just started showing up recently and could be based on Krizz's V2 catridge.

If this turns out to be true, than maybe it also has some other features that mine dosen't have :huh: Anyway... on www.ed64plus.com is nothing written about an Enhanced Version.

shadow_cruiser

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If this turns out to be true, than maybe it also has some other features that mine dosen't have :huh: Anyway... on www.ed64plus.com is nothing written about an Enhanced Version.

I've read a few times on some spanish forums, couldn't remember which one, that website is pretty much now dead and offers no support other than the manual, drivers, etc. Many have tried emailing the support/customer service team listed on the website but with no response. There's a white label with some chinese writing on it, this doesn't seem to appear on the original ED64plus. Tried translating it to no available. Either way, there's really no difference from what I know and you got yourself a great flash cart.

Here are the two known sellers with the enhanced version

Code:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-ED64plus-Game-Save-Device-N64-Enhanced-version/927701058.html

Code:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-ED64plus-Game-Save-Device-N64-Enhanced-version/754733057.html

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the info and the links, but as you said: The "Standart" Edition is already a great card. I guess i won't buy the Enchanted version just for that one feature. I'am happy with it, as it replaces my Doctor V64 perfectly. There should be an 16 GB SD card in the mail today, so i can put all released games on this one cart :)

BTW: My ED64Plus has (of course) a cartridge slot on top, for the boot cart. Has you enh. version also still one?

shadow_cruiser

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info and the links, but as you said: The "Standart" Edition is already a great card. I guess i won't buy the Enchanted version just for that one feature. I'am happy with it, as it replaces my Doctor V64 perfectly. There should be an 16 GB SD card in the mail today, so i can put all released games on this one cart :)

BTW: My ED64Plus has (of course) a cartridge slot on top, for the boot cart. Has you enh. version also still one?

The enchanted version has one too. I loaded an old 1 GB card I had lying around and it seems more than enough for me. Then again, I only play 4-5 games lol

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then again, I only play 4-5 games lol

Yeah... B-) I got my first N64 on launch... 1997 here in Germany. If i play some N64 games today, i really have to say: The were much more better in my memory :rolleyes: :P

The graphics, often so blurred and bulky... some games seem to be unplayable for me today :ha: And even if my N64 is RGB-modded: On Todays Flat-Screens everything is looking even worse. ^_^

But because of the 512Mbit of the ED64Plus, i finally was able to play throu PaperMario 64 (320Mbit), this wasen't possible on my V64 or Z64.

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did use my ED64plus some time now it works flawless. The few games that get autopatched by the ED64V2 you can do in a few minutes on your own.
Faster loading times of the V2? Dont know most games load quite fast with ed64plus, a lot faster then on CD64plus or even V64Jr512.
Did not find a game that did not work yet.
I dont regret it to get a ED64plus for 77$. If i wanted the ED64V2 i would have ended with 170$ with a used case and its often not availible.

vonfnas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!
I have bought a used ED64Plus, but it came without the cd with all the neciserry files, and ed64plus homepage does not work anymore :(

Is there someone out there that can send me the original ED64Plus-OS file (os64p.v64)?
Please! PLEASE!

I can't express how happy I would be!!!

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hah... today is your lucky day... i just was visiting the gbatemp frontpage and saw that this old topic of mine has just got a reply... :P

PM me your email-address and i'll send you the file, size is about 1 MB.

vonfnas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hah... today is your lucky day... i just was visiting the gbatemp frontpage and saw that this old topic of mine has just got a reply... :P

PM me your email-address and i'll send you the file, size is about 1 MB.
AHH!!! THANK YOU!!!
I have PM'ed you my e-mail :D

natey2k4

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The enchanted version has one too. I loaded an old 1 GB card I had lying around and it seems more than enough for me. Then again, I only play 4-5 games lol
Did you get No Mercy, Conkers Bad Fur Day, or Resident Evil 2 working?

Bonny, thanks for all your help. You've made my choice easy. The ED64 Plus is about $120 in savings, maybe more. I can basically buy three ED64Plus for the same price as I would pay from StoneAgeGamer.

I have just a couple questions of game compatibility (if you know);

Zelda 1 and 2
Super Mario 64
WWF No Mercy
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
WCW/nWo Revenge
Banjo Kazooie

Thanks man. You made me a happy dude today!

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bonny, thanks for all your help. You've made my choice easy. The ED64 Plus is about $120 in savings, maybe more. I can basically buy three ED64Plus for the same price as I would pay from StoneAgeGamer.

I have just a couple questions of game compatibility (if you know);

Zelda 1 and 2
Super Mario 64
WWF No Mercy
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
WCW/nWo Revenge
Banjo Kazooie

Thanks man. You made me a happy dude today!

No Problem. I'am sure, all the games you've listed are working on the ED64plus. I've not tested them really all by myself, but i've tested Conker, and if this title works, all the others shouldn't be a problem. Zelda 2 and Jet Force Gemini maybe need patches to save correctly, but that's is.

Gregoriev

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No Problem. I'am sure, all the games you've listed are working on the ED64plus. I've not tested them really all by myself, but i've tested Conker, and if this title works, all the others shouldn't be a problem. Zelda 2 and Jet Force Gemini maybe need patches to save correctly, but that's is.

Hi, I recently had bought a ED64Plus from AliExpress with CIC chip soldered. I used the files that came in CD, since ED64 homepage isnn`t working, so i have os 1.29. Al the games I`ve tested works fine, but the saves don`t. I did the procedures, pressed reset before turn off the console, the games saves, i can see in save folder inside ED64 folder, but inside the games, they just aren`t there. Anyone can help me to solve this? Thanks a lot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: