OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I just decided to jump in and buy an xbox360 so I phoned up EB Games here in Australia and asked them about any good bundles and I was told that EB Games no longer stocks 360's due to the 1:3 failure rate.

He told me it was simply ridiculous the amount of returns they've had and that they will not be stocking 360's anymore until Microsoft fix the problem.

Do you think this'll be enough to make Microsoft move their arses and fix the problem rather than just extending their warranty? EB Games is probably the largest video game retailer in Australia and to have them simply not stock 360s anymore is a huge blow.

They have a huge mid-year sale on at the moment so I'll go and buy a bunch of games anyway so when the new 360s are out I'll be ready with some cheap games
biggrin.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it goes worldwide, yes. EB Games is pretty big they are also own by the same company that owns GameStop.

Microsoft needs to pull all defective consoles off the shelves basically all of them even if they don't fail because they've obvious got a new method to stop the rings of death. I know a complete unit recall will hurt them, but the fact that they are willing to sell the defective ones to consumers is just bad business, but it'll hurt them financially. Microsoft is willing to allow consumer to buy the system and if it fails because of the ring of death after 3 years...they don't have to pay anything. They are hoping in the long run they will not lose as much money as they projected.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have heard the same grumblings, some sellers not restocking due to out of pocket cost for refurbishing nearly immediate returns of brand new products.

Supposedly they are getting V2 mainboards come fall/winter with the 65nm die rollout... should solve all the current heat related problems unless they *really* screw up the mobo design again (in a new and funtastic way that we can rely on only Microsoft to come up with). So far as I can tell they only patch up current failed systems after the fact wrather than actually fixing the problem before customers get them (just like they did with the xbox and power supply going up in flame issues, they did a mass recall of... the power cord
wacko.gif
).

Sorry for the scepticism Opium, the best advice I can give is stated in this thread:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=55110
Don't trust Microsoft to do "the right thing" or, for that matter "anything right."

I personally want a 360, I think there are a couple games on it worth renting (
laugh.gif
), but there is no way in hell I'd fork over that kind of cash for something brand new that is likely to spend more time in the shop than in my hands. I honestly don't recally any other "mainstream" electronic appliance that has had these kind of failure rates and has not been discontinued as soon as the problems were known (and in the 360's case, it has been a problem within a week of the first retail units being sold... even a good portion of the freebie units they had at the launch thing at the airbase were toast before they got them home).

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
wow. really. wow.

I'm not a 360 fan but i heard about these problems.

Microsoft is getting what they deserve though if they're producing faulty machines!

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow. really. wow.

I'm not a 360 fan but i heard about these problems.

Microsoft is getting what they deserve though if they're producing faulty machines!
They're not faulty per se, just poorly cooled. The 360's hardware design was concocted very hastily in order for Microsoft to be able to rush it to the market before competitors. I'm a PC hardware/cooling nut and after having seen what's passed off for a cooling system in the 360 I'm not surprised at the failure rate - it must get incredibly, incredibly hot.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally a bad design = a faulty product in my world but still.

An interesting development though, I dare not speculate on what is to come.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I just got an email back from EB Games, 360 stock in EB Games has indeed been recalled but the good news is that more stock supposedly 'without this fault' will be in stores next week. So I can still pick one up next week.

EB Games said:
We are definitely still ranging XBOX 360 consoles, but there has been a case recently of some high fault rates, as such our stores have had to send back all of there stock and we have been waiting to receive new stock from XBOX that does not contain this fault. We will be receiving new stock on Monday and ----------- will receive this stock on Tuesday. Please feel free to head into this store from Tuesday to pick up your new 360 console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."