DVDx Wad file instead of installer

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by noobwarrior7, Oct 6, 2008.

Oct 6, 2008

noobwarrior7 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    doing some experimenting...
    I installed DVDx Patchmii mode,
    then used fs_browser to extract all the files (tmd,tik,app)
    I then used the blaze wadpacker to make a .wad file, and it came out to only be 5 kb
    which is nice and small, smaller than the installer
    "dvdx254.wad"

so my question is this, will installing this through wad-manager work as an alternative to the installer?
    can you create a legitimate working wadfile for a hidden channel? will the patchmii setting still be intact?

I don't know if anyone has gone this route before, and I don't really want to "discover" a new brick method.
    • Banned

djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    theres already a channel of this, its pointless

Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    It will probably work... But what's the point? Also, you'll probably piss of bushing and other people who worked on this.

noobwarrior7 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I doubt I would piss them off, I'm not distributing anything, and if I was, I was pretty sure it's an open source project.

not to mention, the minute size difference
    wad: smaller, slightly more complex to install (assuming it DOES work, which was my question)
    installer: little larger, very user-friendly.

Message Count:
    Netherlands

It you can make something useful out of this that's great, but don't be surprised when people start hating you for it.

(Sorry for the doublepost, it's because of the maximum number of quotes.

noobwarrior7 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I've bolded the part of interest above, I don't believe that means the installer already will install multiple instances (which is what I wish to do, I said that right?), but just that the title.tmd is altered to address whatever IOS you choose (which everyone already knows, unless Im mistaken) upon each installation. A new installation overwrites the previous title.tmd, if there was one, but the title-id is always DVDX, right?

also, no I DO NOT NEED THIS TO USE MPLAYERDVD with BACKUP LOADER/LAUNCHER also INSTALLED, because MPLAYERDVD works EXACTLY THE SAME WITH cIOSrev5 as it does with PATCHMII_CORE for the tenth freakin time. whoever started saying that obviously hasn't sat there and tested the same dvds with both cIOS installed.

and I don't(...can't...won't...) use either backup program anyway.

but thanks for the info above, im just not sure all of it was really applicable to my question. at least you know what multiple instances are. :-)

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    When I read about it I actually did test the same DVD again, but for some reason it didn't work. I might have screwed up something else. I didn't mean to suggest anything, I just thought this might be a reason to install multiple entries of DVDX.

noobwarrior7 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    yea, I really do mean thanks for the word of warning man, I had no idea before your earlier post that anyone had talked about it before.

also, I am not trying to tell you you are wrong. If you tested it and it didnt work than you have to go with what worked for you. You can only try things with your wii, and only say what worked for you. I am merely saying to all the people who go just off of what they have heard, don't then repeat it to everyone without your own experience. EVERY DVD I have tried with both has the exact same skips, freezes, code dumps, and "successes", and there is really no reason they shouldnt, thats all Im saying. thanks for the info, I get the feeling like you felt my last post was a flame, and I definitely didnt mean it like that, so I apologize.

PS: there was one difference for me I neglected to mention, and that was that the initial loading of any dvd seemed to take approx. 6 seconds longer with cIOSrev5

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Don't worry about it, I understand your reaction [IMG] Now that you mention it, I should really try and get my DVDs (movies) to work again while having the backup loader cIOS installed... I don't understand why it wouldn't work either; it's just another cIOS and MPlayer should work fine from it.

noobwarrior7 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    anyways....DVDx

I mainly want to see what having multiple instances does, if anything, then move on to other things, I don't think theres a whole lot of places to go with this, but thats good for me, cause I don't know a lot of technical stuff.

marcan New Member

Message Count:
    Spain
    DVDX is installed under a single title ID. To use other title IDs you'd have to edit libdi, recompile it, and then recompile any apps that use it. The installer lets you install a variation of DVDX (one that boots a specific IOS), but you can only have one installed at a time because it's one title.

I'm not entirely sure what the need is anyway. Use IOS3x for no-modchip mode, or IOS254/patchmii (or cIOS if you're into that, but that's unsupported) for modchip mode. Libdi will use anything > 200 with UnencryptedRead calls, and anything < 200 with DVDRead calls. As far as I'm concerned, Waninkoko's copy loader is retarded because it breaks the convention by forcing you to use cIOS even though you actually don't have a modchip, which breaks libdi on every other app. So if you're having trouble with that, tough luck, but it's not DVDX's fault.

All of this will be rendered moot when most of BootMii comes out anyway. DVDX will disappear, PatchMii will disappear. All IOSes will magically gain new abilities when you boot with certain files on your SD card.

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the explanation. This explains why DVDX wouldn't work for me when installed into Waninkoko's cIOS.

I really can't wait for BootMii. On one hand, I wouldn't like installing it because of the risks involved (after all, if you screw something up in boot2 your Wii is basically dead), on the other hand I can't wait for the things that this will make possible, like region free booting via the disc channel.

noobwarrior7 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    that is exciting to hear, cant wait for it. share a few of the "new abilities?"

marcan New Member

Message Count:
    Spain
    BootMii_Stub might come soon. That would be the only risky part of the process, and it would also be relatively small, well tested, and the installer will double check everything. It will do nothing itself other than boot some more code from an SD card, if found. That way, only one tiny piece is risky to install, and you will hopefully never have to upgrade it. What it comes down to is:

- Do basic initialization
    - Check for an SD card inserted
    - If inserted, try to load stuff from it
    - If no SD card, just boot boot2 normally

There is very little code to fail there - as long as we can reliably detect a non-inserted SD card, we're at least safe. If anything, it might be incompatible with some brands of SD cards or with some particular filesystem formattings, but at least it won't brick your Wii (since it won't try to do any of that if there is no SD card). And since all Wiis are the same and all boot2s are the same (almost - newer Wiis require one extra step in the boot2 loader, which we're taking care of - but if we didn't, it would just fail to install, so it would still be safe), and none of this depends on current software installed / NAND / anything, chances are if it doesn't brick one Wii it won't brick any. Of course, we're still going to test it thoroughly with as many Infectus users as we can gather up.

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    That makes sense. I'd probably take the risk of installing it once [IMG] Will you also be adding some kind of recovery code like FlashMe does? Or won't overwriting the boot2 loader take much time?

And will it also be possible to, say, boot the Homebrew Channel directly? This will enable us to boot the Wii without using the Wiimote. After all, it's possible to control the Homebrew Channel with the GameCube controller.

marcan New Member

Message Count:
    Spain
    That is actually the very first "payload" that I'll release for BootMii. In fact, it's already written and working.

The current problem is that BootMii can't talk to USBGecko or SD when installed as boot2, because we're missing some register inis. So the current test version as an IOS works, but when you actually install it it always falls back to normal boot and never loads anything from SD. Working on it.