Dungeon Explorer

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by JohnDarkhead, Dec 29, 2012.

Dec 29, 2012

Dungeon Explorer by JohnDarkhead at 11:32 AM (657 Views / 1 Likes) 9 Comments

• Newcomer

JohnDarkhead New Member

Message Count:
    Greece
    I've recently laid my hands on Dungeon Explorers which seems to be a very cool dungeon crawling game with all these upgrades and stuff...So I just wanted to hear some other view points about the game...Please tell me what you think about this game,its pros and cons etc... :)
    R4Liam likes this.

ferofax End of the World

Message Count:
    Philippines
    *Has potential for end game grinding.
    *Okay multiplayer mechanics (I believe the drop rates and difficulty rates hike up).
    *Limited set items with insane rarities (the chances of you collecting a specific set of equipments are... astronomical)
    *There's a limited form of equipment upgrade system where you can turn a weapon you can't use into something you can with all the stat bonuses intact.
    *PET ROBOTS! Kinda hard to get good parts, but if properly built, they can last you quite far.
    *Three different "provinces", with each having three available classes that are variants of Fighters, Rogues, and Archer/Wizards.
    *Fixed map/storyline.
    *Kinda ugly and rough-looking, to be honest. But I've finished the game, and I was satisfied with the playthrough (gunner class).
    • Newcomer

JohnDarkhead New Member

Message Count:
    Greece
    That's cool...I love this game as well...My character is a wizard! :gba:

Sora de Eclaune The Famicom-Eyed Beast of the West

Message Count:
    United States
    PROS:
    • Fun to play
    • Good ol' mindless dungeon crawling
    • Interesting pet system
    • Good for short sessions of play
    • Also on PSP, so if you can't find it on one system then you can probably find it on the other
    CONS:
    • Has a lot of emphasis on the need to grind, even if nothing in-game actually says so.
    • Outdated graphics and sound
    • I simply could NOT get hooked on this game, no matter what I did
    • No atmosphere
    • Class system seems to lack in some areas

The graphics are simply outdated.

It looks more like a port of a game made to compete with Diablo than a game made for the NDS and PSP.
    Last edited by Sora de Eclaune, Jan 13, 2013

ferofax End of the World

Message Count:
    Philippines
    The bad part is how everything looks so drab... it's like the palette they used were 50 shades of gray and about 10 for every other color, lol.

Sora de Eclaune The Famicom-Eyed Beast of the West

Message Count:
    United States
    That's supposed to be setting the mood, actually. I would have preferred some vibrancy, but after playing Diablo and become accustomed to drabness, I don't think Dungeon Explorer would've worked any other way.

ferofax End of the World

Message Count:
    Philippines
    At least Diablo was drab for a reason (it was supposed to be scary), and it was still spattered with a very healthy dose of flashy stuff like fiery fireballs, exploding bloody parts, Dark Stars that glowed red and whatnot.

It's one of those cases where if things did not move, you lost every detail.
    • Newcomer

PortablePlatypus New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I was pretty hooked on it until the pyramid. I couldn't make it past the third or forth floor, and no matter where I chose to grind the exp rate was painfully low. Lost my motivation after that.

caribou007 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Are you talking about Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of the Ancient Arts? I recently did a quick check on games in the genre available for DS. How would you compare WotAA to Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer and Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja? The editorials I browsed by seemed to prefer the latter two.

ferofax End of the World

Message Count:
    Philippines
    Yeah, the Pyramid was supposed to be played with friends. Its difficulty really goes up if you solo it, and it might not be worth the effort most of the time if you can't get far.

Shiren and Izuna are turn-based Rogue-likes, which are usually permadeath and have combat mechanics that are *not* necessarily tied to just weapons and armor/shields. Dungeon Explorer is more like Diablo, except it has its own game mechanics of sorts. But it's both top-down and real-time hack & slash.