Tutorial  Updated

Dumping and injecting GBA VC saves with AGBSave9

WARNING: GodMode9 added a native save dumping and injecting tool that works way better than AGBSave9, you can download it here. Here's how to use it.
I'll be keeping this guide around for historical purposes, but you should use GodMode9 instead.
Dumping GBA VC saves:
What you will need:
  • AGBSave9 v.1.0 "EEPROM support" (A9LH-compatible version here)
1) Run the game that you want to dump the save and close it.
2) Load AGBSave9 from sysNAND 9.2/A9LH and select "Save Dump".
3) This should give you a screen with this info:
  • Title ID: xxxxxxxx
  • Use save type 0/1/2: SRAM/Flash/EEPROM
  • Creating agb_dump.sav ...
4) Write down the Title ID and Save Type, you'll need it if you want to inject the save back later.
5) Plug your SD card into your computer and copy the agb_dump.sav on the root of the SD to somewhere safe, this is your save file.

Injecting saves into the GBA VC:
What you will need:

1) Install Python 3, else you won't be able to run the gen_run.py.
2) Copy your save file into the agb_inject folder.
3) Run gen_run.py and follow the on screen instructions, this should generate a .cia file inside the agb_inject folder.
43f380I.png

4) Copy the output CIA file to your 3DS' SD card.
5) Install it on sysNAND using your favorite CIA installer, I recommend FBI. (if it asks to overwrite the previous install, allow it.)
If you only have them on sysNAND:
6a) Run the CIA that you just installed. (It should show up as Fire Emblem on the top screen)
If you have them on both NANDs:
6b) Run the game that you want to inject the save on emuNAND.
7) When "AGB_FIRM save injector" appears, turn off your 3DS.
8) Insert your SD card on your computer and go to "/Nintendo3DS/(YourSysNANDHere)/(RandomStuff)/title/00040000/(TitleID)/" and copy the data folder.
9) Reinstall the game that you want to inject the save on sysNAND. (if it asks to overwrite the previous install, allow it.)
10) Reinsert the SD card on your computer and copy the data folder back into "/Nintendo3DS/(YourSysNANDHere)/(RandomStuff)/title/00040000/(TitleID)/"
11) Run the game, if everything worked properly, your injected save should appear on the game.

Credits:
@alex34567 7 for AGBSave9.
@redunka for the fixed "gen_run.py".
@Frelia a for the A9LH-compatible version.

Last edited by matpower,

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The rom is ripped from my personal cartridge using Gba Backup Tool on my dstwo in a DSlite, also is the save.
The weird thing is that on VBA it says that the battery has run dry but no error about saves, but on GBA VC it says as written above.
Is not a big problem since it keeps saving normally, but read everytime that messag is so annying ...
I also tried to do the whole save thing trough agb_inject but it's the same ...
I think the problem is that your ROM needs to be patched form 128KB to 64KB. You can get the necessary patches here, and inject your ROM again to be able to save. But I suppose you patched it already, since you say it keeps saving normally, but if you didn't, then use the patch. As for VBA, are RTC and 128KB save turned on?

Last edited by MushGuy,

Yamanoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think the problem is that your ROM needs to be patched form 128KB to 64KB. You can get the necessary patches here, and inject your ROM again to be able to save. But I suppose you patched it already, since you say it keeps saving normally, but if you didn't, then use the patch. As for VBA, are RTC and 128KB save turned on?

The only thing i did is the hex patch mentioned in another thread on this forum, otherwise the game stops at a Blank Screen after GBA logo.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, in that case, you could try asking if porting these patches to other regions is possible. And you're talking about this hex editing thread, is that right? Either way, try hex editing again. If it still doesn't work, try asking there for help.

Last edited by MushGuy,

twosidea

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Did all the steps accordingly, booted up GBA VC and there's no save file to load. I attached an image of the process of making the save-cia file. One thing to note is that the original GBA save data is only 8KB big and is originally from a US ROM. However, the VC I wanted to inject into is EUR region.

EDIT: Apparently the save file that the VC needed was a SRAM type. Seems to be a bug amongst a few EEPROM games. Fixed and finally got the save loaded!

Attachments

• 2016-10-05 19_12_43-C__Program Files_python.exe.png
    2016-10-05 19_12_43-C__Program Files_python.exe.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 255
Last edited by twosidea,

Trophies
XP
Country
You can find it in Plailect's guide. It's the aesdbkey(Basically, all the Slot keys in a single file) or something. Give it a try with Decrypt9, if it still doesn't work, tell me.
I've tried Decrypt9. I can inject the save but it doesn't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.