Tutorial  Updated

Dumping and injecting GBA VC saves with AGBSave9

WARNING: GodMode9 added a native save dumping and injecting tool that works way better than AGBSave9, you can download it here. Here's how to use it.
I'll be keeping this guide around for historical purposes, but you should use GodMode9 instead.
Dumping GBA VC saves:
What you will need:
  • AGBSave9 v.1.0 "EEPROM support" (A9LH-compatible version here)
1) Run the game that you want to dump the save and close it.
2) Load AGBSave9 from sysNAND 9.2/A9LH and select "Save Dump".
3) This should give you a screen with this info:
  • Title ID: xxxxxxxx
  • Use save type 0/1/2: SRAM/Flash/EEPROM
  • Creating agb_dump.sav ...
4) Write down the Title ID and Save Type, you'll need it if you want to inject the save back later.
5) Plug your SD card into your computer and copy the agb_dump.sav on the root of the SD to somewhere safe, this is your save file.

Injecting saves into the GBA VC:
What you will need:

1) Install Python 3, else you won't be able to run the gen_run.py.
2) Copy your save file into the agb_inject folder.
3) Run gen_run.py and follow the on screen instructions, this should generate a .cia file inside the agb_inject folder.
43f380I.png

4) Copy the output CIA file to your 3DS' SD card.
5) Install it on sysNAND using your favorite CIA installer, I recommend FBI. (if it asks to overwrite the previous install, allow it.)
If you only have them on sysNAND:
6a) Run the CIA that you just installed. (It should show up as Fire Emblem on the top screen)
If you have them on both NANDs:
6b) Run the game that you want to inject the save on emuNAND.
7) When "AGB_FIRM save injector" appears, turn off your 3DS.
8) Insert your SD card on your computer and go to "/Nintendo3DS/(YourSysNANDHere)/(RandomStuff)/title/00040000/(TitleID)/" and copy the data folder.
9) Reinstall the game that you want to inject the save on sysNAND. (if it asks to overwrite the previous install, allow it.)
10) Reinsert the SD card on your computer and copy the data folder back into "/Nintendo3DS/(YourSysNANDHere)/(RandomStuff)/title/00040000/(TitleID)/"
11) Run the game, if everything worked properly, your injected save should appear on the game.

Credits:
@alex34567 7 for AGBSave9.
@redunka for the fixed "gen_run.py".
@Frelia a for the A9LH-compatible version.

Last edited by matpower,

Beat_

Trophies
XP
Country
I have an issue. I think the problem is the save file. I need someone to explain this to me. When I generate the CIA, which save am I supposed to use? The save I want to inject or the save I dumped? I put the save I want to put in the VC and the script doesn't work. I try to put the save file in VBA the emulator and it doesnt work. Is it because the save file is too big or something? Please helperino?

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have an issue. I think the problem is the save file. I need someone to explain this to me. When I generate the CIA, which save am I supposed to use? The save I want to inject or the save I dumped? I put the save I want to put in the VC and the script doesn't work. I try to put the save file in VBA the emulator and it doesnt work. Is it because the save file is too big or something? Please helperino?
Well, to generate the CIA, you should use the save that you want, if that save doesn't work in the emulator too, I guess it's broken.

Beat_

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, to generate the CIA, you should use the save that you want, if that save doesn't work in the emulator too, I guess it's broken.
Thats the thing, it works on my R4 when I play it, but then it fails to load on the emulator and stuff

Beat_

Trophies
XP
Country
Is the ROM patched with something on your R4? At least it should work in the emulator... :unsure:
What are you using to run it?
I'm using GBAExploader and I'm running the game normally. It's not the PSRAM thing or whatever its called where the game stays on the EZFLash, its one where the game disappears after I turn it off... sorry for being bad at explaining lol

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm using GBAExploader and I'm running the game normally. It's not the PSRAM thing or whatever its called where the game stays on the EZFLash, its one where the game disappears after I turn it off... sorry for being bad at explaining lol
Well, just for the shake of testing, if you can run WoodR4, try running the game directly from it :P Check if the save file loads.

Beat_

Trophies
XP
Country
So in theory, the save file should be fine, well, try copying it now to the computer and run it from the emulator. If it doesn't work, run another game before copying it, maybe it's still is in the PSRAM or whatever EZFlash stores game saves again.
Just tried it, doesnt work

Beat_

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I managed to generate the cia now, but I have one problem. By the end of the guide everytime I load the GBA game it goes to the AGB9Injector text? And the banner is still the Fire Emblem one.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I managed to generate the cia now, but I have one problem. By the end of the guide everytime I load the GBA game it goes to the AGB9Injector text? And the banner is still the Fire Emblem one.
You need to reinstall the original game after injecting it on sysNAND. Make sure to backup the savedata before doing that, else it'll delete the injected save again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards