Not open for further replies.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have two HDDs, both 1 TB in size each, one has Windows 7 64-bit pro on it, and the other is just blank but I backed up most of what I have on the primary HDD onto it, and with the impending release of Windows 10, I considered upgrading to it; there is, however a caveat, something that concerns me, and that is, I don't want it to overtake my Windows 7 partition, my primary HDD. What I want to do is have the first drive to have 7, and the second HDD to have 10, I know it's feasible, but I've been told that it's a royal PITA to set up properly. However, due to my unjustified and unsubstantiated paranoia of something I use daily not working or getting jacked up, I would rather have two different OSes.

I know that I won't lost my data, or so I've been reassured, but I want to make double sure, and since I can get Windows 10 as part of a free upgrade, so that's good, but I want to be sure I can do this as smoothly and painlessly as possible, and any and all help is appreciated ^_^ Thank you :D

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
The only way to upgrade for free to windows 10 is to update your current OS. After than though, you can do a clean install with your newly acquired key.

If you don't want to loose your w7 drive, perhaps clone it to your other drive and update that cloned version, leaving your original in tact?

JordenNixNix

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can make a new partition via disk manager. (Right click on my computer and choose manage). REMEMBER THE STATION LETTER

After the new partition is made run the Windows 10 installer. Choose to install Windows 10 in the disk with the new letter (not c) It's basically a part of your current HDD. Now you will keep Windows 7 on your c drive and Windows 10 on the new partition.

You also can install Windows 10 in a virtual machine if you like. (Hyper-v is an inbuild virtal machine but it's a bit crappy. Try Vmware or others)

Sorry for the lack of information. This is typed with a smartphone during work.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can make a new partition via disk manager. (Right click on my computer and choose manage). REMEMBER THE STATION LETTER

After the new partition is made run the Windows 10 installer. Choose to install Windows 10 in the disk with the new letter (not c) It's basically a part of your current HDD. Now you will keep Windows 7 on your c drive and Windows 10 on the new partition.

Sorry for the lack of information. This is typed with a smartphone during work.
Wouldn't that create a conflict, though, and would it show up during the POST and boot up sequences, and no, it's okay ^_^ No worries :P Making another partition would be better, methinks.

The only way to upgrade for free to windows 10 is to update your current OS. After than though, you can do a clean install with your newly acquired key.

If you don't want to loose your w7 drive, perhaps clone it to your other drive and update that cloned version, leaving your original in tact?
How would I go about doing that though? Do you have a link?

Could I do this without any repercussions?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...n#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-7

Edit: Is this a good link?

http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The only way to dualboot Windows 10 and Windows 7 while keeping both "legit" is by upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10, grab the key, then roll back to Windows 7 and do a clean install of Windows 10 to a second partition. There's nothing else you can do.

Once you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, grab your new CD key by downloading Speccy and clicking on the "Operating System" tab. You'll see your Windows 10 CD Key here. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE OFF THE PC.

NOTE: THIS DOES NOT DELETE ANY OF YOUR FILES. All of your settings, programs, and EVERYTHING WILL STILL BE KEPT WHEN YOU UPGRADE AND WHEN YOU RESTORE BACK. It's recommended to backup anything important, just in case something goes wrong, but chances are NOTHING WILL GO WRONG.

Once you have your key, Windows 10 has a neat feature that lets you rollback to the previous OS install you upgraded from as long as you keep the Windows.old folder in your C: drive, so do that.

After you rollback, create the new partition, install Windows 10 via CD/USB in order to skip the "Upgrade" path, a prompt to enter a CD key should pop up, this is where you'll put your Windows 10 CD key YOU WROTE DOWN. Then, choose a "Custom" install when prompted, then choose the new partition you made earlier to install Windows 10 to and it will install. After that, once fully installed, you should now see both Windows 7 and Windows 10 in your boot manager.

JordenNixNix

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No, according the BIOS he will standard load the c station as basic station. You need to change it to the new letter if you want Win10. BIOS are different per pc so you nead to find these settings out bh yourself.

Some Bios simply will ask wich OS they wan't to launch just like my Win/Linux dual booted pc.

Don't do a clean install!

It will wipe all your data and you need a new win-serial key. Other payed licensed programms can't be installed for free anymore.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way to dualboot Windows 10 and Windows 7 while keeping both "legit" is by upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10, grab the key, then roll back to Windows 7 and do a clean install of Windows 10 to a second partition. There's nothing else you can do.

Once you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, grab your new CD key by downloading Speccy and clicking on the "Operating System" tab. You'll see your Windows 10 CD Key here. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE OFF THE PC.

NOTE: THIS DOES NOT DELETE ANY OF YOUR FILES. All of your settings, programs, and EVERYTHING WILL STILL BE KEPT WHEN YOU UPGRADE AND WHEN YOU RESTORE BACK. It's recommended to backup anything important, just in case something goes wrong, but chances are NOTHING WILL GO WRONG.

Once you have your key, Windows 10 has a neat feature that lets you rollback to the previous OS install you upgraded from as long as you keep the Windows.old folder in your C: drive, so do that.

After you rollback, create the new partition, install Windows 10 via CD/USB in order to skip the "Upgrade" path, a prompt to enter a CD key should pop up, this is where you'll put your Windows 10 CD key YOU WROTE DOWN. Then, choose a "Custom" install when prompted, then choose the new partition you made earlier to install Windows 10 to and it will install. After that, once fully installed, you should now see both Windows 7 and Windows 10 in your boot manager.

Oh man, that...sounds like a pain in the ass. So...following this guide here, http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/ wouldn't work? Ugh, I mean, is there anything compelling about Windows 10 that would want to keep all my stuff intact? And how do I roll back to Windows 7 once I get on 10? Damn -_-

No, according the BIOS he will standard load the c station as basic station. You need to change it to the new letter if you want Win10. BIOS are different per pc so you nead to find these settings out bh yourself.

Some Bios simply will ask wich OS they wan't to launch just like my Win/Linux dual booted pc.

It will wipe all your data and you need a new win-serial key. Other payed licensed programms can't be installed for free anymore.

Right, I would need to be careful as that would freaking suck. but that guide there isn't of any use?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Everything in this post is absolutely false. BIOS has nothing to do with it besides loading the bootmgr (or, in a UEFI setup, the .efi file) that lists which operating systems are installed on a PC. I've NEVER encountered a PC made in the last 10 years that hasn't worked this way. The only time it's true is if you have OSes installed on multiple hard drives, but this isn't the case here and is irrelevant.

A clean install WILL NOT wipe "all your data" if the clean install is pointed towards the second partition, as it ONLY INSTALLS TO THAT PARTITION. The only data that would be lost is any data INSTALLED ON THAT PARTITION.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything in this post is absolutely false. BIOS has nothing to do with it besides loading the bootmgr (or, in a UEFI setup, the .efi file) that lists which operating systems are installed on a PC. I've NEVER encountered a PC made in the last 10 years that hasn't worked this way. The only time it's true is if you have OSes installed on multiple hard drives, but this isn't the case here and is irrelevant.

A clean install WILL NOT wipe "all your data" if the clean install is pointed towards the second partition, as it ONLY INSTALLS TO THAT PARTITION. The only data that would be lost is any data INSTALLED ON THAT PARTITION.

So, did you look at that link I posted? I know it applied to the actual ISO image itself, which is what I assume the upgrade will use as well, but couldn't the same be done, I make a new partition?

Edit: http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
@OP, Windows 10 improves performance and security compared to Windows 7, and is guaranteed to be supported for 10 years. If you want to be secure, if you want your system to perform well, then you might as well use the upgrade.

You can rollback via a program in Windows 10 itself, there's literally an entire option in the Update and Security settings to go back to a previous version of Windows. It's literally a couple clicks and that's it.

EDIT: The link you posted is old, and only applies to the technical preview as that didn't require any CD key to activate. In this particular case, what I posted above is THE ONLY WAY to keep a legitimate Windows 7 install and a Windows 10 install.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@OP, Windows 10 improves performance and security compared to Windows 7, and is guaranteed to be supported for 10 years. If you want to be secure, if you want your system to perform well, then you might as well use the upgrade.

You can rollback via a program in Windows 10 itself, there's literally an entire option in the Update and Security settings to go back to a previous version of Windows. It's literally a couple clicks and that's it.

I'm still paranoid, though I still wonder if that guide would apply to partitions and the like. I'm glad it's simple though. Why? I don't know why, I'm weird, that's all.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See the above edit. The partition parts are correct, everything else is irrelevant. You still need to get a Windows 10 key by upgrading.

Okay, that makes more sense with the edit, I don't know why I'm wary, I really freaking don't know why. Part of me is excited, part of me is not, I wish I could skip the whole thing and just be shown the key, then do the partition installation. My question, though, is how does it keep all the files intact when upgrading and downgrading? That's what i'd like to know and how do I ensure that nothing is altered? And programs that use specific file paths (emulators, 3D programs, etc) wouldn't they be changed and jacked up?

I think I would need a blank DVD to do the ISO install, or something.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anyone knows 100% for sure how it keeps all the files when upgrading, but I'm going to assume that the Windows installer only changes any Windows system files and folders, and leaves installed programs alone. Originally I was under the impression it'd only keep certain programs installed, but when I upgraded my Surface Pro 2 it kept everything. It also kept everything on my work desktop, and my gaming Desktop, so I'm 100% sure it doesn't mess with any programs.

Downgrading back to Windows 7 I would imagine the same is true, it just changes system files back to their previous versions.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question right now I have an "activated" pirated version of 8.1 pro and already have the email stating my upgrade has been reserved, when and if I get the upgrade can I reinstall a fresh copy of windows 10 to my HDD or do these free upgrades have no key?

Also if I were to lets say install windows 7 Home premium OA would I even qualify for windows 10?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anyone knows 100% for sure how it keeps all the files when upgrading, but I'm going to assume that the Windows installer only changes any Windows system files and folders, and leaves installed programs alone. Originally I was under the impression it'd only keep certain programs installed, but when I upgraded my Surface Pro 2 it kept everything. It also kept everything on my work desktop, and my gaming Desktop, so I'm 100% sure it doesn't mess with any programs.

Downgrading back to Windows 7 I would imagine the same is true, it just changes system files back to their previous versions.

Bleh, damn this paranoia of mine, I know 10 will be faster, more secure, I just hate being so complacent with Windows 7, it's a blessing and a curse. I wish I could cheat by using my laptop to upgrade to 10, get the key from there, roll back and use the key on here, though I doubt it'd work.

I would only hope the free upgrade has a key to use.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Question right now I have an "activated" pirated version of 8.1 pro and already have the email stating my upgrade has been reserved, when and if I get the upgrade can I reinstall a fresh copy of windows 10 to my HDD or do these free upgrades have no key?

Also if I were to lets say install windows 7 Home premium OA would I even qualify for windows 10?
Your pirated OS will upgrade, but it will be unactivated, you'd have to use another activator or get a legit key for it.

If your Windows 7 OA is a legitimate OEM key and not just some pre-activated version you pirated off the net, it will upgrade and stay activated.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your pirated OS will upgrade, but it will be unactivated, you'd have to use another activator or get a legit key for it.

If your Windows 7 OA is a legitimate OEM key and not just some pre-activated version you pirated off the net, it will upgrade and stay activated.
Ok my PC originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium OA and they key is on my case so I should just be able to install it fresh then upgrade to 10 but my question remains do these windows 10 upgrades include a reusable key for fresh installations.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Ok my PC originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium OA and they key is on my case so I should just be able to install it fresh then upgrade to 10 but my question remains do these windows 10 upgrades include a reusable key for fresh installations.
If you mean you can take an OEM Windows 7 install, upgrade to Windows 10, then use that Windows 10 key on other PCs, then no you can't do that, they're still classified as OEM and can only be installed to one PC.

I actually tried it myself with my Surface and my gaming desktop, it asked for a key while I did a clean install so I just used my Surface Pro key to see what happened. It activated for a few hours, then deactivated after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: