smileipb2.png

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I fail to see the point of this, it is probably being run from a flash cart, just an imitation or maybe the .NDS file of the DS Firmware that loopy made a while ago. If this is indeed true, you will not be able to launch games through it as homebrew running in DS mode on DSi (i.e. via a flashcart) cannot launch games through slot-1.

EDIT: Pretty sure it aint flashme. But if you want to run flashme on your DSi, go ahead. Just make a video so people can laugh at how hard you fail when you brick your dsi.

ilovengage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I once started the flashme installer (just to see what it says on the bottom screen on "actual firmware", but you can't even install flashme on a DSi cause it says UNKNOWN BIOS or something like that and you can't do anything.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The point of it could just be that there is now a video of a DSi running DS firmware. And until there's some modified firmware that has extra features vs. the official one, or some other kind of code loading capability, that's what this'll be.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
ilovengage said:
I found that video and uploadet it on YouTube. It's pretty bad quality, but it seems to be running the DS Phat firmware on the DSi. How's that possible? Could this mean that older flash carts work on DSi then, too?

EDIT: YouTube linking didn't work, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auVVbmZiSKs
Youtube linking does work, learn how to use it.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has its uses. For instance, it's nice to be able to change DS settings or start Pictochat without having to eject the slot-1 cart you've already got inserted.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well...all you really need to do to do that is just reboot into the normal firmware. You'd have to reboot it every time you're done with any homebrew app anyway.

eth0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DanTheManMS said:
It has its uses. For instance, it's nice to be able to change DS settings or start Pictochat without having to eject the slot-1 cart you've already got inserted.
You just press the power button on the DSi to return to the firmware, do your thing in Pictochat, close that and select your card again from the menu. No eject/insert required.

edit: Da-Domb1 beat me too it
smile.gif
, serves me right for opening 20ish tabs and checking them one by one later.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume we're talking about a DS here, not a DSi, since running the DS firmware would be rather pointless on the DSi. On my DS, the only way for me to get to the firmware is to physically eject both cartridges I have inserted (slot-1 Supercard DSi, slot-2 Supercard, flashed firmware). The .nds file lets me get to the firmware without having to eject anything. Yeah it still requires a power cycle, but I never argued that it wouldn't.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to bring up an 8 year old post like this, but...
If Slot-1 reading was added back in, this could actually be useful.
I own a DSi, and this game selector to switch between any of the 3 inserted Slot-1 cards without powering down the card slot.
So if Slot-1 reading was added back in, some flashcards that worked on a DS Phat/DS lite might be able to work again.

Has anyone ever contacted the creator of the firmware.nds file about adding back Slot-1 reading?

Reactions: Retinal_FAILURE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt