DSi Nintendo Zone app?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Chunbe, Nov 27, 2016.

1. WintendoZone

WintendoZone Advanced Member

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    I thought that would be the case. So I guess this won't work unless we have that Memory cartridge as well.

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Simple, convert app/nds/srl to cia with make_cia or makerom, and install them

(3DS home launcher ignores DSi system titles, so you can launch them from FBI/DevMenu, or edit the titleID-high inside the file from 00030005 to 00030004, or acquire/steal/find preconverted ones)

The beacon is just half of the job, you also need to supply a wifi network with the correct SSID, encryption type, password, and possibly MAC - or to develop a romhack of the beacon rom so that it sends beacons that point to your favorite wireless network (I had a quick look at the rom, they're not in plaintext so I gave up)

Alex4U and WintendoZone like this.
  3. Alex4U

Alex4U not a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon addict

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    with Snivy, Mystery Zone (offset 0x0FFFF)
    I'd like to experiment with the beacon rom, but I don't know much about nds hacking :P

4. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    Me neither. I only know about 3ds hacks

5. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
  6. Alex4U

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
  7. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
  8. Alex4U

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    They already have most DSi TMDs and DSiWare titles dumped. Since we have the 3DS and the eShop (Freeshop/CIAngel to be exact) that has DSiWare, I think most titles has been already dumped. Even with this, the DSi can be hardmodded and install DSi titles on DSi NAND thanks to the 3DS.

9. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    Just to be sure, are you guys trying to connect to the internet with a random access point or the BestBuy one? (with the Distributor)

10. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    I used the SslPatcher so that the Distribution Rom could connect to altwfc. I don't have an R4 to test this though

I wish I had an R4 to test this out... dang!

The name of the AP is supposed to be the same to that as the WDistribution Rom?

Edit: It is.

Last edited by WintendoZone, Dec 13, 2017
  11. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    I'll make a proper release of this sometime later.

12. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    Test Release?

What you need:
    1. From the internet, you have to download all the required files (the distribution box rom, and the bestbuy beacon)
    2. You need to set up a wifi router, (or hotspot might work too) preferably named "BestBuy". It needs to have no security.
    3. One DSi, and two a DS with two flashcarts (I think any one will do fine)

Steps:

Ok, this part is very hard to understand because I'm a dumbass, but if you think you can read it, give it a shot.

1. First, use the latest version of the SSLPatcher to Patch the Distribution Box rom so that it can work over the custom server "altwfc". Then insert the modified rom (which should say [NOSSL] at the end of the rom) into the flashcart for the console that will send the Nintendo Zone.

2. We will now set up the WiFi settings on each console with their own flashcarts.

3. Delete all your settings, restart the console, go to WiFi settings again.

4. Make a new connection.

5. Enter in your Access Point's settings, and set auto-obtain DNS to "no" and use this one for both systems:

104.131.93.87 - Primary DNS
    Secondary DNS - same as primary DNS.

After that, test your connection. If it worked, congrats. You're ready for the next part.

6. Run the Distribution Box Rom from the other DS. Then wait at the DSi menu, and I think Nintendo Zone might pop up using this method.

I'm sorry if it didn't work and it wasted your time. I'm not that smart.

Let me know if it works please!

Last edited by WintendoZone, Jan 13, 2018
    I pwned U! likes this.
  13. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    Of course if it were to ever work, we'd need to hack the app in order to let us play some games, because it seems that the distributer might actually be the part that let's you download the games. And I don't think altwfc has any thing like that. But then again, I do remember the Animal Crossing DLC that was given out to people who played City Folk.

Last edited by WintendoZone, Jan 13, 2018
  14. Chunbe
    OP

Chunbe Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    Malaysia
    Just checked the thread in a long while, tried out the steps above with the distribution rom but it's stuck on Updating Contents with an Error 10-49 and then cancelling the transmission. Not sure if I did any of the steps wrong (DNS or WiFi settings). Also what do you do with the BestBuy beacon rom anyway? It's not patchable with SSLPatcher.

WintendoZone likes this.
  15. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    I think there might be a way to skip updating, but I'm not sure. I was wondering about the BestBuy Beacon since the very beginning of this, but I never thought it would be an issue. Thanks for the test, at least I know now that it works somewhat, but when it asks the custom server for updates (that it doesn't have) it generates the error you get.

Also, something else I didn't take into consideration when I made that last comment: the power control cartridge. What does it even do? Controls a DS's power due to instability when it gives out the Nintendo Zone hotspot? Maybe. I just don't know where it plays a role and I'm wondering if it would even work with an R4, plus a modified room.

Last edited by WintendoZone, Jan 18, 2018
  16. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    So I have an R4 now, but no access point.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It's nice to know you still believe it could be achieved somehow, thanks for responding :)

17. Caboosium

Caboosium Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2018
    United States
    Planet Reach
    What about making the WiFi name "Bestbuy"?

Edit:
    What about making the WiFi name "Bestbuy", "Best buy", "Best Buy", or "BestBuy". Maybe another combination. "Nintendo", "WFC", "Nintendo WFC", "DS", etc.

Last edited by Caboosium, Jan 24, 2018
  18. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
    Was there ever any way to get this to appear on a DSi?

19. WintendoZone

Oct 11, 2017
    United States
    What, specifically? The Wifi's SSID?

20. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
    is there a method to get the icon to appear on dsi menu