DSi Downgrading - The Complete Guide

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Gadorach, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Gadorach
    OP

Gadorach Electronics Engineering Technologist

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    With the release of TWLTool, by @WulfyStylez, we now have the ability to downgrade our DSi consoles and install the old DSiWare hacks that were originally released by Team Twiizers. This is achieved by recovering our DSis per-console keys.

To outline the process, I'll divide it into a few sections. First, you must recover your keys and install an exploitable DSiWare game from the DSi Store. Next, you must backup your NAND with a hardware tool, and use the keys to decrypt it, modify it, and re-encrypt it. And last, you need to set up your SD card for running these exploits.

Here's the list of requirements:

Getting your ConsoleID

Getting your CID

Hardware NAND Mod Guide

Decrypting your NAND

Title Downgrading

Assuming all has gone as planned, here's some video examples of how your console will act.

Result Videos

That's all there is to it, in as many words as possible. Enjoy, and happy downgrading!

PS. I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff, so just let me know and I'll add it as I have time.

Credits

Last edited by Gadorach, Aug 4, 2015

2. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks a lot, i bookmarked it. I already bought Sudoku and Fieldrunners from DSiWare Shop. I will use this guide when my The Biggest Loser arrives and i find someone to hard-mod my DSi XL.

Gadorach likes this.
  3. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Excellent work! I will get started and might get into DSi homebrew coding.

dAVID_ and T3GZdev like this.
  4. justinbug2

justinbug2 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    so what does hacking on the dsi do like install pirated dsiware orr? just seems bare to me...

Margen67 likes this.
  5. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    No. It allows people to downgrade existing applications, although downgrading Sudoku requires a pirated copy since the original was patched. It enables DSi mode access, but you cannot pirate because you need tickets for the applications to even be visible on the Home Menu.

leerz and Margen67 like this.
  6. justinbug2

justinbug2 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    so its just a really hard way of running ds homebrew?

7. Gadorach
    OP

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    For anyone interested, here's approximately what the hard-mod will look like installed. Mind you, it was a test fit, so the hole is larger than it it needs to be to get the positioning right on the board below.

[​IMG]

It works as intended, of course, and will look better next time, now that I know the correct positioning. The original DSi will look different, of course, as there isn't room under the battery door on the original.

To answer your question, it lets you re-enable all older flashcarts that were blocked, allows you to copy exploited DSiWare saves, that were disabled in 1.4.2FW, and allows you to use SUDOKU again as a DSiWare Exploit. This also makes your console brick-proof. Beyond that, you can install any homebrew you want to your SD card, and run it in DSi-Mode, with 4x the available RAM and 2x the available CPU speed. This makes homebrew run much better, and might just allow for a stable GBA emulator too. DSiWare and NDS backup loading through DSiWareHax might happen later, but right now, no, it's not supported.

Last edited by Gadorach, Jul 29, 2015
    Margen67, siFippo, nxwing and 3 others like this.
  8. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Do you need another DSi [normal size] to figure out a perma-solution for non-XLs?
    Okay. Good luck!

Think of it is a starting point. This could turn into something big.
    DSi homebrew never saw its day, now its finally starting.

Last edited by jonthedit, Jul 29, 2015
  9. Gadorach
    OP

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    I have two regular-sized DSi's right now, so I'm set. Thanks for the offer though.

10. atkfromabove

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    The state with lots of wives
    I'm interested in the arduino guide! I don't have a ds/lite or raspberry pi.

11. Gadorach
    OP

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    I'll post it as soon as I figure it out completely. You'll need an SD shield though, just a fair heads up.

12. CTurt

CTurt Advanced Member

May 3, 2015
    Margen67 likes this.
  13. Gadorach
    OP

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    Margen67 likes this.
  14. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Last edited by zoogie, Jul 30, 2015
    Gadorach and Margen67 like this.
  15. atkfromabove

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    I already have one! I've been trying to create a method to get it with the information available about CID and arduino but putting it all together is above what I understand. I don't have much experience with dev boards.

16. DinohScene

DinohScene DinohScene <З MartyDreamy

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    DSi hacked via gamecard?
    Time to get The Biggest Loser retail.

17. atkfromabove

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    I decided to get a Raspberry Pi. I figured it's more useful than an Arduino is plus I've been wanting one for a while now. Is it easier to get the CID with a Pi than an Arduino?

18. Gadorach
    OP

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    Considerably. Just install RPU (the 3DS unbricker) and run it in "(S)afe mode (Query only)". It'll output the CID onscreen, and you can then bit-flip it and use it with TWLTool.

Margen67 likes this.
  19. Feroz El Mejor

Feroz El Mejor GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2014
    Villa Raíz (Hoenn)
    Do you really recomend I but that game? What we can do with that (not now, with the time) I'm from Spain IDK how costs the game if I buy from uk...

20. Gadorach
    OP

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    The Biggest Loser, as an exploit game, is used exclusively for recovering your DSi's CID. The CID, or Chip Identification number, is used as part of your NAND's encryption, and is one of two parts of the encryption key. You can also recover the CID with a Raspberry Pi when you install your NAND reader. There's a few ways to get it, using "The Biggest Loser" is just one of them.

Margen67 likes this.