GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible in any way for the DS to use a gbaflashcart like virtual memory? I'm probably gonna end up hearing "if it could be done, it would've been done and obvious already" but still, i want to know. Also I'd like to know what programming language would be useful for homebrew.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You could use the flashcart as virtual memory by using the FAT libraries and writting/reading from the cart when needed. However, if you are actually programming something that for some reason runs out of memory, either you've got a poorly planned strategy for memory use or you're extra keen to push the DS past it limits
tongue.gif
(Out of curiousity, is there anything you've planned that would require more than the 4mb of internal memory?)

As for which language, C/C++ (does a DS compiler support C++ or at least subsets of the language (ie Classes)?). You'll find most game programming (except for mobile phone games which are Java, and of course, flash games) are written in C/C++ these days.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You can use the RAM on the flashcard.

32 megs of RAM!

QUOTE said:
However, if you are actually programming something that for some reason runs out of memory, either you've got a poorly planned strategy for memory use or you're extra keen to push the DS past it limitsÂ
tongue.gif
 (Out of curiousity, is there anything you've planned that would require more than the 4mb of internal memory?)

Um, a homebrew Web browser? Opera DS requires a 32 MB RAM cartrige to work.

A more interesting question would be, is it possible to make Opera DS use flash memory (memory cards) instead of RAM, i.e. to enable a "right-click, save-as" function.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So i guess soon I'll be moving on to learning C.
Actually, I did want to make a souped-up browser, with basic flash compatibility, but when i learn C, we'll see how far that idea goes. >.<

I'm a programming noob. But I'm taking 2 classes right now.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr