Hacking DS Roms on Gateway Blue Card

leeksausage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi All,

Im SURE this would have been posted at some point, somewhere on this site but searches failed to find what I was looking for in depth.

Just ordered the Gateway, due to arrive today, probably won't install everything until 2.0 firmware is out. However, for the blue cart, to my knowledge its essentially an old R4i (or something of the sort?). How easy is it to run normal DS roms of it? I wouldnt call myself a 'noob' per se, though i registered this account in 2009 when i was playing around with the original R4 and my memory is a little hazy.

With this new cart, is it as simple as sticking DS rooms onto a freshly FAT32 formatted microsd and placing it into the 3DS XL? I havnt updated any firmware, or done anything with my 3DS at this point, its sat on 4.1.0, all wifi turned off etc. Whats the deal? As simple as that or, if not, any tutorials out there for me?

Leek

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

Im SURE this would have been posted at some point, somewhere on this site but searches failed to find what I was looking for in depth.

Just ordered the Gateway, due to arrive today, probably won't install everything until 2.0 firmware is out. However, for the blue cart, to my knowledge its essentially an old R4i (or something of the sort?). How easy is it to run normal DS roms of it? I wouldnt call myself a 'noob' per se, though i registered this account in 2009 when i was playing around with the original R4 and my memory is a little hazy.

With this new cart, is it as simple as sticking DS rooms onto a freshly FAT32 formatted microsd and placing it into the 3DS XL? I havnt updated any firmware, or done anything with my 3DS at this point, its sat on 4.1.0, all wifi turned off etc. Whats the deal? As simple as that or, if not, any tutorials out there for me?

Leek
For the Gateway installer, you must put some files and folders on the micro SD card in the DS cart. In order to play ROMs, you must put them in the root of that SD card. It's as simple as that. I don't know how it treats ROMs with anti-piracy measures, however. I've only played one DS rom using the Gateway cart, and that one didn't have AP.

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
You can just dump ROM's at the root? I've not even tried yet, but someone on here told me it was much harder than on other DS carts, I take it this is not true? Do I need to format the SD I used to install the Gateway code and dump the ROM's on there, or do I need to keep the code stuff I put on the blue card initially on the sd?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can just dump ROM's at the root? I've not even tried yet, but someone on here told me it was much harder than on other DS carts, I take it this is not true? Do I need to format the SD I used to install the Gateway code and dump the ROM's on there, or do I need to keep the code stuff I put on the blue card initially on the sd?

I'm pretty sure you need to keep the stuff on it. I'm guessing the UI is part of the files.

leeksausage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Would really appreciate if anyone could give a mini guide to this?

Am i correct to assume that with a brand new untouched 3DS XL and unused Gateway blue card I:

1. Format micro SD card to FAT32
2. Copy "Blue Card (R4i)" contents to root of Micro SD card
3. Copy DS ROMS to root of Micro SD Card
4. Insert micro SD card into Gateway Blue card
5. Insert gateway into 3DS XL and play?

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
Well, I would recommend doing the initial setup with the blue card first, then attempting to run DS Roms after.

It's crazy, just looked through all the user guides Gateway supply, none of them detail the process of using the blue card as a DS cart! Googled it and looked it up on youtube too, nada!

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
I play games on blue card. I still got firmware 1.2 files on it but just made a sub folder called games and put my games in there. Just browse to the folder and run simple as that.

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The blue card is just running a hacked version of WoodR4, so the same file structure and method of playing games is available.

Just put the games in a games folder and navigate to the game in the card's UI, then run it. It'll have the ability to play any game WoodR4 can (which is most, if not all of them)

kenwa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi,
after the initial setup of the blue card as in the gateway guide (to play 3ds rom), to use the blue card to play ds roms, just drop your ds rom inside the the root of your sd card together with all the Blue Card (R4i) content. Put back the microsd to blue card and insert the blue card to your 3ds. In the homescreen, the blue card will be detected as 'deep atlus'. Enter it and inside, all your ds roms will be detected. I recommend to power off 3ds 1st (to get out of gateway mode) before starting playing ds rom.

To go back to play 3ds roms again, run back gateway installer using blue card and then do the ds profile things again. Do comment if i miss anything.

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
Why can it not run in DS Profile mode? So I can't just swap out the carts? :/ I think Gateway should seriously spend some time on updating the DS cart firmware too then...

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why can it not run in DS Profile mode? So I can't just swap out the carts? :/ I think Gateway should seriously spend some time on updating the DS cart firmware too then...

Why should they? The blue card does what the Gateway team meant for it to do: as a means to install the exploit. I mean, I know it's nice to be able to use the blue card as a DS flashcart, but they've got things way higher on the priority list to worry about.

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty much no DS roms I try are supported with whatever frimware the Blue Card comes with
Either your roms are corrupted or your card is damaged because I can run DS roms fine with gateway blue card default firmware.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had no problems running DS roms on Gateway Blue card with their base 'hacked' wood release. I do believe that specific card only runs on a 3DS with up to FW 6.1, which shouldnt' be a problem seeing as your 3DS is on 4.5 or below to use Gateway red card. As far as staying in Gateway mode and runnign DS.....can't do it because of the way the DS exploit works....when you load the DS mod you kick out the ds/profile exploit or the hack that launches the launcher file for Gateway mode....nothing Gateway can do about it as this is just how the exploit works....so really its not too difficult.

1. power off to kick the Gateway mode off.
2. Launch your DS card and play your DS games.
3. Re=Run blue card installer when done playing gateway games...

All these steps take mere seconds and are not that big of a deal....personally I just don't play much DS on the 3DS so could care less and haven't had to rerun the DS hack in months.....but I did test a number of roms inluding newer ones and they seemed fine on blue card....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou