Hacking DS N5 Revolution is it a new r4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
My friend got one and he complained about the battery. Also this is almost the same as the R4, I opened them up and there are only a few changes.
The N5 also crashes a lot when we tried wireless with: mariokart DS, Ouedndan 2, FFCC RoF, Metroid Prime Hunters. I don't think that the fact it supports HCSD cards should be the reason it sells. R4 is still better but you need multiple SD cards for higher capacity.

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zhuzhuchina said:
the only good thing of these n5 and r4 clone are that support 4 gb sdhc .

...what about larger?

QUOTE(zhuzhuchina @ Apr 15 2008, 09:12 AM) tested them. about 15% are dead, defective. on 100 pieces stock.
and other 5% with minor defects

So, in other words, only about 80% are saleable. That's pretty bad.

R4 have missed the boat. If they had a quality SDHC-compatible product that wasn't too much more expensive than the other basic carts I'd be all over it, and any chance the clones had in the marketplace has been killed by their poor quality.

XBlade316

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
doing some more looking in i think n5 may not be such a copycat. They have made their template for their site instead of jacking r4's.Also it as good as r4 but some might have screwed up. They might fix the problem and become a good name for ds slot1 cartidage or be piece of junk

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
XBlade316 said:
doing some more looking in i think n5 may not be such a copycat. They have made their template for their site instead of jacking r4's.Also it as good as r4 but some might have screwed up. They might fix the problem and become a good name for ds slot1 cartidage or be piece of junk

Hardly to happen, they put virtually NO effort in this cart, and we shouldn't expect them to start doing some effort now!
I really don't see the reason why would anybody buy this cart, except if it isn't into the scene, and doesn't know what kind of cart is it..There are carts at the same price, even cheaper that are respectable and don't have such big failure rate..

I don't know..Maybe it's just me..

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been told the N5 is utter garbage.

I've been told the N5 can brick your DS.

I've been told this by people I think I can trust.

You don't have to like the R4, and we all know the R4 has been superseded by newer cards. But the N5 sure the f**k isn't one of them.

Go ahead and buy the N5 if you insist. Be happy if you saved a few lousy bucks. But I don't want to listen to your whining when you regret it.

wl.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
i have n5
frown.gif

well, it works, but some games doesn't work: for example Final Fantasy III (any region). And, some latest games, (Ys I DS, The Aly and AJ Adventure) crash SD card (have to be formatted).

zhuzhuchina

Trophies
Website
www.zhuzhuchina.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
just to tell that some n5 and r4 ii clone support 4gb, some not, some support only korean japanese microsd, some support all memory cards. and defective rate is higher about 30% . 15% dead on arrival and other 15% with defects.
it's a scam!!

XBlade316

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i would buy r4 but i dont have credit card,so i went to store to buy r4 then they sold n5 so i just got,everyone in toronto who sell upfront sell n5

arktikna

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought n5ds before I looked things up on this forum. I've got it for a few months now, but there is one problem: When I play a game with the n5ds card and shut the DS down and want to play another game right-away, the DS won't load the cardridge. It just shows an empty slot in the opening menu. After 5/10 minutes it works again.
For the battery-life, whenever I play The World Ends With You, you can play for about 3-4 hours, I don't know if this is normal.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
I don't think that the fact it supports HCSD cards should be the reason it sells. R4 is still better but you need multiple SD cards for higher capacity.

QUOTE(zhuzhuchina @ Apr 14 2008, 07:12 PM) the only good thing of these n5 and r4 clone are that support 4 gb sdhc .

Have either of you confirmed that the N5 supports microSDHC cards? According to the review on this site, it doesn't support SDHC.

-Bri

zhuzhuchina

Trophies
Website
www.zhuzhuchina.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
yes n5-r4 II-r4 III can support 4gb sdhc memory too. i tested about 200 cards with 4gb sdhc sandisk

BUT most of n5-r4 II won't boot up with most of memory around ( no difference in size, 1gb or 8gb ) , they prefer usually japanese or korean memory. no chinese, no taiwan memory. and even with best microsd there is the risk of memory reset, need to format again and copy again all the data.
some people suggested to put 1.16 n5 kernel... actually i will just advice to give to your best enemy
smile.gif
this kind of flashcard.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
zhuzhuchina said:
yes n5-r4 II-r4 III can support 4gb sdhc memory too. i tested about 200 cards with 4gb sdhc sandisk

BUT most of n5-r4 II won't boot up with most of memory around ( no difference in size, 1gb or 8gb ) , they prefer usually japanese or korean memory. no chinese, no taiwan memory. and even with best microsd there is the risk of memory reset, need to format again and copy again all the data.
some people suggested to put 1.16 n5 kernel... actually i will just advice to give to your best enemy
smile.gif
this kind of flashcard.

Got any proof? I've heard from so many people from different places that have tried sdhc cards on a R4, and didn't work. Including kingston cards over 2 gigs. I cannot believe your statement without any proof.

2. You should know that R4 second gen cannot use sdhc cards, right? It's been proven, and R4 team said this as well. Besides, if it DID have sdhc support, it's sales would be much higher.

3. There is no R4 III. It's a fake.

zhuzhuchina

Trophies
Website
www.zhuzhuchina.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
the problem is that only a lesser part of N5 cards works well ! these that works support 4gb sdhc too, i tested and have still some cards that compatible with 4gb sdhc . you take 10 memory cards of different brand and country made, probably only 2 will works on N5. i don't gain anything to telling you this, if you don't believe just don't belive.
i don't advise any one to buy this card.
if you want buy one N5 with 4 gb sdhc i can sell to you too
smile.gif
) , but no warranty .

2. N5-R4 II are the same card, so well some R4 II support sdhc too, just change the front label ! they use the same kernel too.

3. R4 III is fake too, i know this , but it's avaible on market. i didn't get this , after tried n5-r4 II... better avoid this r4 III .
ciao

pet33

Trophies
XP
Country
France
N5 work with firmware R4III
just add N5 ax_menu.dat
I have no problem but i test it with only one 4gb Sandisk

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
One question:

Why bother?

Avoid R4, M3 Simply, N5, "Mars Cart" and any other rip-offs.

D

Deleted User

The N5 is the same thing as R4, but with SDHC support. You can even use R4 firmwares, skins.
AceKard2 NOW.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
pedroion said:
The N5 is the same thing as R4, but with SDHC support. You can even use R4 firmwares, skins.
AceKard2 NOW.
If you're suggesting the N5...I think you should stay away.
It has SDHC support...sure. But it bricks half the DS' you put the flashcart in
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey