Hacking DS game compat list for DSTwo firmware versions?

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After updating my DSTwo firmware from a years-old version to 125 so it would work on my 3DS, a couple of my games are behaving weird or just don't work anymore.

I cannot troubleshoot the problem because APPARENTLY there is a GBA compat list but not a DS compat list..which is weird, that would be like if Dolphin had a GC compat list and not a Wii compat list. Needless to say, this is frustrating.

The game behaving the worst is the DS adventure time game, it just flat-out freezes up when I load my save or reezes up when the bottom screen activates on a new save - the irony is that it was one of a few games on my flashcart that was lagging or stop-and-going on the old firmware and my motivation for updating the firmware in the first place was to maybe play games on a more powerful system so I wouldn't get lag. Now I can't play 1 of them at all and several games that used to work fine now experience lag.

Some other games I'm having problems with are the viva pinata game, spirit tracks, and rune factory 3.

Is there someplace where these problems are documented so I can fix this?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering the DSTwo has perfect DS compatibility, it would be kind of pointless to have a list that would essentially just be the word "yes". When experiencing ROM issues, there are generally two things worth trying:

1) Get a clean ROM from a different source
2 (and probably most reliable) ) Back up everything of importance off the MicroSD card, format it with something like the Panasonic formatting tool (I've found the built in Windows formatting tool also does a fine job), and replace all firmware files on the card with freshly downloaded ones

I'd personally pick choice two, as odds are it's your MicroSD being a pain in the ass more than the ROM or DSTwo.

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the DSTwo has perfect DS compatibility, it would be kind of pointless to have a list that would essentially just be the word "yes". When experiencing ROM issues, there are generally two things worth trying:

2 (and probably most reliable) ) Back up everything of importance off the MicroSD card, format it with something like the Panasonic formatting tool (I've found the built in Windows formatting tool also does a fine job), and replace all firmware files on the card with freshly downloaded ones

I'd personally pick choice two, as odds are it's your MicroSD being a pain in the ass more than the ROM or DSTwo.

I will try both options, but why would my cart only experience these problems with an updated firmware?

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
I will try both options, but why would my cart only experience these problems with an updated firmware?
I dunno. MicroSD cards are fickle and can cause firmware and game issues you otherwise wouldn't notice that otherwise can't really be explained. Like I said, DSTwo compatibility is perfect, so I can guarantee any problems you're having are exclusively your own.

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno. MicroSD cards are fickle and can cause firmware and game issues you otherwise wouldn't notice that otherwise can't really be explained. Like I said, DSTwo compatibility is perfect, so I can guarantee any problems you're having are exclusively your own.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know it isn't my flashcart because I really hate it when emulators/hacks/carts have problems I cannot solve myself.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
The first method didn't work so I'm trying the second, but I'm having some trouble with formatting it. Mostly that when I looked up the software you mentioned and installed it...I have no idea where it installed to. The fact that whoever wrote the instructions doesn't seem to speak english as a first language isn't helping. Will formatting it with windows' default took suffice or is it not thorough enough? (For me it has a bad track record of not properly formatting anything. >_>)
It worked fine in the past on my little old 2GB MicroSD for my R4, but if it hasn't worked well for you, you may want to figure out where the formatting tool installed to, or just find another one. You could always try Windows formatting tool and hope for the best.

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after formatting my SD card and plonking all my game roms back into it, I still get the same problems as before. Not sure what to do about this. Maybe it just didn't like me backing up the folder that had all my roms on it and plonking them back into the formatted card?

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
What's the speed on your MicroSD card? Class 4? Class 10? I'm thinking the problem might be how slow your MicroSD card is. I recall most people preferring a class 10 with their DSTwo, since the more standard class 4 (at least more standard at the time) wasn't always fast enough.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
So after formatting my SD card and plonking all my game roms back into it, I still get the same problems as before. Not sure what to do about this. Maybe it just didn't like me backing up the folder that had all my roms on it and plonking them back into the formatted card?
i can test the game for you and tell if i experience the same. i have a kingston class 10 card btw.. send me the saves (not the roms) and tell me what problems and what games..

the windows formatting tool sucks balls, i have a card that doesn't work with ez iv unless i use sda formatter (also called panasonic formatter) link here

3) highlight the rom on the dstwo and press X, change from patch to clean (or vice versa) and see if that does help. some games are faster run better in clean mode, others don't...

and its not perfect.. some games can have small problems, and there is one kirby game that doesn't run unless you patch it..

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
It's borderline perfect. The compatibility is more reliable than almost any other card. As it stands, since their games are apparently running slowly, I feel it's more likely their MicroSD card speed is at fault rather than a difference in patched versus clean mode, unless there are actually examples of those modes causing games to run slowly.

Reactions: migles

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tossed out the entire old folder and used fresh ROMs, seems to have worked...even though they came from the same source as before, maybe the old files were messed up or something.

I'm not sure what class my card is, it isn't terribly old. Will it tell me under properties somewhere?

tots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Glad you got it working. I have a dstwo and have yet to find a rom that doesn't work on it. If only it didn't drain 3DS battery in sleep, it would be perfect.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I just tossed out the entire old folder and used fresh ROMs, seems to have worked...even though they came from the same source as before, maybe the old files were messed up or something.

I'm not sure what class my card is, it isn't terribly old. Will it tell me under properties somewhere?

its printed on the card, if it doesn't have it printed, most likely is class 2, less or a knock off brand...

SD_card_sample.jpg

SD_class_table.jpg

btw, glad you made it work, did you format with the formatter i mentioned on the previous thread?
if you do, choose options, full overwrite, and adjust ON...
i really reccomend you using that formatter with every sd card... (unless you want to force it to some file system)

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dug out a magnifying glass and found the number, it's class 4. If I weren't so stingy I'd probably look for a class 10. Maybe I'll see if I can find one on sale.

I guess that would explain why I still get slowdowns with some of my games but I guess it can't be helped. Not exactly sure why loading a menu screen with viva pinata is so hard on the storage access, same with adventure time since it only stop-and-goes when there's wind nearby which makes no sense to me but I'm not a technician.

Kazekai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just replying saying that I found aclass 10 and it seems to have fixed most of my lag issues - not only that but colors! is actually usable now (no more freezing up or brush lag) so thanks for your patience. I'm used to dealing with emulators and the like, stuff on the software end. It rarely occurs to me to check the hardware end for some reason...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared