DS FPS Maker

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by smealum, Aug 22, 2012.

Aug 22, 2012

DS FPS Maker by smealum at 4:17 PM (14,121 Views / 9 Likes) 155 Comments

smealum growing up sucks.

Message Count:
    France
    Hah, it doesn't happen very often that I agree with absolutely everything someone just said. Seriously, you're right about everything so I don't have much to add. :P
    Right now the portal clone project is taking priority, but I do plan on getting back to FPSmaker afterwards. I have to use a slightly modified version of the engine for the portal clone, so not all modifications/additions can translate to FPSmaker, but pretty much everything regarding the editor should overlap. (although portal would have specific entities, like switches, cubes, platforms...)
    So yes, a "quick compile" mode is planned, same for the skybox and material editor. I also do realize that using select to open door is very uncomfortable (on my FAT DS it is anyway), so yeah, automated doors probably would make sense. I was thinkin either that or a button on the touch screen. And yeah, the gun SFX is terrible, I had a problem when adding it and I was unable to isolate it in time unfortunately. It will be fixed, and I've already added a particle effect for when the player shoots walls (and I'm thinking about adding bullet impacts and maybe blood splatters, too)

Janthran Solarian

Message Count:
    United States
    Just curious, were you planning on making people actually fall through the portals or just kinda teleport them?
    • Newcomer

loganino New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    sme, I support you 100% on portal ds. It would be Kick Ass Stuff that everyone would want. (Like minecraft ds)

nakata6790 True Player

Message Count:
    Greece
    A full 3D Portal DS is an AMAZING portable prospect. Huge respect for this tremendous undertaking and keep up the great work! :yaynds:

Message Count:
    France
    Hope this video answers your question ! :D

it's still very early and glitchy, but the basic feature is there. Eventually, it should all be completely seamless.

Janthran Solarian

Message Count:
    United States
    You are amazing.
    • Newcomer

conner New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Is this going to get updated?

—-------

And are u going to realse source code for dscraft

Ray =D New Member

Message Count:
    Germany

It has been one week with no update... You really have no patience o0 Just wait a bit!
    • Newcomer

JayBeno Candid Fish Slapper

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    like things like this
    • Newcomer

keyboard New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark
    This looks epic!
    Do gonna get this when my new DS arrives :3

Message Count:
    France
    just as a quick update, there probably won't be a new FPSM version for a while as I've been focusing on that portal thing, which by the way is going pretty well, as I've managed to fix most of the problems I was having. (I now have a more or less playable demo with fully-functioning portals)
    Unfortunately, I broke my DS last week so development is going to slow down a little until I can find a damn screwdriver (I moved a month and a half ago and I think I left my screwdrivers behind...). In the meantime I'm experimenting with rigid body physics, I made my own small engine and I'm hoping I might be able to get something simple to run on the DS for portal. It's not looking great so far though, as while it does work, the performance is terrible. But making a physics engine is always interesting heh.

here it is running on my PC :
    [IMG]
    and here's the DS version (which is exactly the same code, the PC version also uses fixed point math) :
    [IMG]

I also have a very early and extremely glitchy portal demo up for those interested. Not going to post a link here, but if you want to try it out just ask.

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Very nice!
    I'm looking into this project!

relminator New Member

Message Count:
    Philippines
    Smea: Verlet?
    • Newcomer

conner New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    no update for a while? ..... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
    no update for a while :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Message Count:
    France
    Nah, just simple Euler method integration for now. Not saying I won't improve it eventually but right now I really need to focus on improving performance more than functionality, as all the functionality in the world will be useless if I can't get it to run well enough on the DS. :P
    I'm really sorry about that. The thing is, I can't even really work on it right now because, as I said, my DS is currently broken, so I can't work on the editor. It'll definitely be updated when portal is released, but it looks like that might still be a few months from now (even though I'm actively working on it)
    • Newcomer

TheDan2430 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I am interested in testing the portal game where can i get the nds ?

Janthran Solarian

Message Count:
    United States
    PM him.

Message Count:
    France
    Update ! I've continued work on the physics engine and successfully gotten it to run on the arm7, and within portal. It's not quite ready yet, there are still some pretty big performance problems amongst other things, but it's looking good overall. If you're interested, here's a video showcasing some of the new features : (the biggest update of course being the companion cubes)

Please keep in mind that this video was shot in an emulator and that many of the graphical glitches you see here don't actually happen on hardware. Also, the video quality is crap, sorry about that.

@TheDan2430 : if you're still interested, send me a PM. :)
    Terminator02, SignZ and nakata6790 like this.

finkmac New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Great stuff… I like how smooth the portal warping looks…

nakata6790 True Player

Message Count:
    Greece
    Wow... This is really nice. I enjoyed DawnSeekers and A Cup of Tea, i am really looking forward to this too. Smealum is clearly talented.
    Keep up the good work dude! :yaynds: